website statistics

Summer Youth Olympic Games 2018

Gianlu33

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Why did the French skater get silver and the Italian bronze? They both finished on 36 points and both of them had one second, one third and one fourth place so that's tied as well. Often the last event counts in these kind of things, but in that one Valanzano finished better, yet she still got the bronze.

Best placement in the 5000m elimination http://www.worldskate.org/news/42-discipline/speed/2968-bayog2018-ladies-and-gentlemen,-please-stand-up-for-the-olympic-champions.html

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Thanks commentator. 

Did they mention that both gold medals were already decided before the final?

Just now, Dunadan said:

Best placement in the 5000m elimination http://www.worldskate.org/news/42-discipline/speed/2968-bayog2018-ladies-and-gentlemen,-please-stand-up-for-the-olympic-champions.html

Thanks and no, they did not mention that :d 

Now that you mention the 5000m rule I understand it as well, up till now I thought the Angulo saved his gold by outsprinting Scheperkamp for 3rd place and so ending up one place in front of Maiorca.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

29 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

Why did the French skater get silver and the Italian bronze? They both finished on 36 points and both of them had one second, one third and one fourth place so that's tied as well. Often the last event counts in these kind of things, but in that one Valanzano finished better, yet she still got the bronze.

I think it's a punishment for Italy going beyond the 2.4 deficit/GIP ratio...the entire EU asked for that...:yikes::rofl::facepalm:

no, trying to be serious once every while...it was because the final placing in the 5000m elimination race, which was to be considered "the final" of the combined event, despite being held earlier than the 500m sprint race...

from the Worldskate website: "Barrault and Valanzano tied in the final ranking and, following the rules, the Silver medal went to France thanks to a better placement in the 5.000mt Elimination"...

unfair, but this is how they managed the situation...:facepalm:

ops...it was already posted...I'm still sleeping this morning...:rofl::facepalm:

thanks to @Dunadan :yes

Edited by phelps

Just now, phelps said:

unfair, but this is how they managed the situation...:facepalm:

Not really unfair if it was known beforehand, which I guess it was. Should have finished higher there then :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minuti fa, Dunadan ha scritto:

no, it wasn't...Maiorca won the 5000m race, so if the Colombian ended up in 4th place in the 500m sprint race, Maiorca would have eventually won the gold medal...:evil:

by the way, just to complete the news from last night, the medals in Fencing went to:

women's Epee

Gold: :UKR Kateryna Chorniy

Silver: :HKG Kaylin Sin Yan Hsieh

Bronze: :CZE Veronika Bieleszova

men's Epee

Gold: :ITA Davide Di Veroli

Silver: :GER Paul Veltrup

Bronze: :KGZ Khasan Baudunov

today it's time for the women's Sabre and the men's Foil, which means that some fencing will be finally streamed live by the Olympic Channel...

2 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Yes, age is catching up on me :facepalm:

I thought @phelps was the old one here :p 

24 minutes ago, phelps said:

today it's time for the women's Sabre and the men's Foil, which means that some fencing will be finally streamed live by the Olympic Channel...

Any specific reason why there are/were only 11 spots for fencers in Women's Sabre and especially Men's Épée?

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.