website statistics

Men's Baseball CEB European Championship 2016

goofy900

24 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well to be fair, probably like 5 people will watch the Dutch team's games on Ziggo (which is a paid sports channel and only has quite a lot of subscribers because of Verstappen in F1 and because they have the rights to most top European football leagues, boring as that might be :p ). I can understand they're not showing the rest because basically nobody would watch it. 

Do we, as Dutch, even have some decent MLB players who we can use here?

no, because the MLB season is well under way right now...

all teams here must be happy with players coming from European leagues or North American 3rd or lower tier minor leagues (or Central American leagues, if they are over...some of them actually are, like the Mexican Spring/Summer Pro league)...

but in general, the Kingdom of the Netherlands (as they officially call it in the world of Baseball) have a lot of MLB/Triple A/Japan PRO Leagues players that could be used if only the European Champs would be held after the MLB/NPB season is over...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, because the MLB season is well under way right now...

all teams here must be happy with players coming from European leagues or North American 3rd or lower tier minor leagues (or Central American leagues, if they are over...some of them actually are, like the Mexican Spring/Summer Pro league)...

but in general, the Kingdom of the Netherlands (as they officially call it in the world of Baseball) have a lot of MLB/Triple A/Japan PRO Leagues players that could be used if only the European Champs would be held after the MLB/NPB season is over...

Quite weird that they officially name the Netherlands the Kingdom of the Netherlands, since every other federation simply calls it the Netherlands :p (even though the official name of our country is the Kingdom of the Netherlands, but using that name in sports would be like always calling Mexico the United Mexican States :d )

Thanks though, I thought MLB had ended, but yeah, I know nothing about MLB :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Well to be fair, probably like 5 people will watch the Dutch team's games on Ziggo (which is a paid sports channel and only has quite a lot of subscribers because of Verstappen in F1 and because they have the rights to most top European football leagues, boring as that might be :p ). I can understand they're not showing the rest because basically nobody would watch it. 

Do we, as Dutch, even have some decent MLB players who we can use here?

Well, that really doesn't matter. With so many (lesser) competitions getting streamed these days in all sports, it's really a crime that they don't do it.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Well, that really doesn't matter. With so many (lesser) competitions getting streamed these days in all sports, it's really a crime that they don't do it.

I agree there should be an online stream, but that's not Ziggo's responsibility. The organisation could have set up a static camera or something, something that wouldn't be good enough for TV but alright for an online stream. 

I was talking about Ziggo, which means about it being shown on TV. They have absolutely no reason to show Czech Republic - France or Germany - Spain or something like that, that's not what they're for. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Quite weird that they officially name the Netherlands the Kingdom of the Netherlands, since every other federation simply calls it the Netherlands :p (even though the official name of our country is the Kingdom of the Netherlands, but using that name in sports would be like always calling Mexico the United Mexican States :d )

Thanks though, I thought MLB had ended, but yeah, I know nothing about MLB :p 

I think they want to use the full name of your Country because they want to underline that most players in your team come from Oversea...:mumble:

by the way, the MLB season (but also the NPB's and KBO's, which are the main pro leagues in Japan and South Korea, respectively) goes from the beginning of April to the end of October (and the RS - 162 games long for every team - ends in the first week of October, normally)...

so, the only tournament so far in Baseball history which has been played by the MLB stars is the World Baseball Classic (which is held once every 4 years, 2017 is the next time, in March)...

and because it's played in pre-season, it also has a few rules about the amount of innings that can be played by each player, especially the pitchers, who are the most delicate and precious assets of their respective teams and need some "protection" not to be pushed over the limits by the coaches of their NTs so early (with the chance of getting dangerous injuries being always very high in such case)...

Just read a post on a Dutch forum from someone who saw Greece play against L&D Amsterdam today as final preparation, and it wasn't good :p

"Amsterdam kicked their ass 11-2, they didn't have Greek outfits, their catcher failed all the time, Greek outfielders couldn't even get the ball to their basemen, a 120kg+ third baseman who in one single attempt managed to trip twice and eventually fall to the ground...it was a comedy show in pure form." 

Now, I'm very curious to seeing them play :d 

19 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Just read a post on a Dutch forum from someone who saw Greece play against L&D Amsterdam today as final preparation, and it wasn't good :p

"Amsterdam kicked their ass 11-2, they didn't have Greek outfits, their catcher failed all the time, Greek outfielders couldn't even get the ball to their basemen, a 120kg+ third baseman who in one single attempt managed to trip twice and eventually fall to the ground...it was a comedy show in pure form." 

Now, I'm very curious to seeing them play :d 

Wow, we might defeat someone then :d

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen