website statistics

Summer Paralympic Games 2016 Official Thread

uk12points

1 hour ago, Nickyc707 said:

The difference between India and China is that the former is a democracy  with other social and economic priorities, while the latter is a one party state which is able to direct it's resources in whatever direction it chooses in order to project itself in the world.

According to China's own journal the Beijing Review  the country has 85 million disabled people which is more than the entire populations of most of the world's nation states. This vast pool enables them to compete in almost every Paralympic class in each sport which other countries cannot do. China did very well. My only point is that it should not be surprising given the massive advantage they enjoy and it certainly isn't amazing as you described it.  :cool:

What is sad is that back in the bad old days in China under Mao's rule, paraplegic persons were either hidden away or disposed of. Probably just like many countries then and even now. It's rather ironic that they've salvaged a somewhat terrible Olympics from their able bodied athletes. 

4 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

The difference between India and China is that the former is a democracy  with other social and economic priorities, while the latter is a one party state which is able to direct it's resources in whatever direction it chooses in order to project itself in the world.

According to China's own journal the Beijing Review  the country has 85 million disabled people which is more than the entire populations of most of the world's nation states. This vast pool enables them to compete in almost every Paralympic class in each sport which other countries cannot do. China did very well. My only point is that it should not be surprising given the massive advantage they enjoy and it certainly isn't amazing as you described it.  :cool:

Looks like our standards when it comes to what is amazing is different. The fact that my country of 100 million people only won one bronze in these games is already amazing for me, it surely wouldn't hurt if I see China getting 107 gold medals in this paralympics edition as an amazing feat. 

for Egypt , this was the worst achieved results in Paralympics , since Seoul 88 , but i can't say it was failure , unfortunately this's our level in paralympics now with a great decline in athletics the most important sport here according to the amount of medals given at , the biggest highlight for Egyptian delegation was the return of our sitting volleyball team to the medals ceremony after Athens 04 , they've been amazing and defeated one of the strongest teams nowadays Brazil home twice , also Germany , but again we're still not competitive to the 2 power horses of sport Iran and Bosnia  

2 minutes ago, bestmen said:

why don't you close this thread !!!!

Why should every thread of every finished event be closed !!!!! 

:redcard:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

57 minutes ago, bestmen said:

this thread is glued in the top for nothing

there are many new competitions , this one is dead

Oh so you used the wrong words :d

It shouldn't be "glued" at the top anymore, but obviously there's no problem in keeping the thread open. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Em 9/19/2016 at 17:50, Nickyc707 disse:

I believe most (if not all) of us are aware of the many difficulties India goes through, and sport -- even for able-bodied persons -- does not seem to be a priority for the government. However, their population is around 1 billion and 300 million people. Based on this absolutely humongous number of people alone, it is puzzling that India's athletes still fall behind at the world stage. It's impossible for me to think that all Indian athletes are absolutely deprived of good facilities and coaches. Also, it's impossible for me to think that no private companies decide to sponsor individual athletes. We have seen some incredible performances from a very poor nation like Kenya, so why does India still struggle so hard? Money is not the only deciding factor, and politics is definitely not the only reason for success.