website statistics

If you could create new Olympic Events...

intoronto

Food for thought, back in 2002, the Olympic Program Commission recommended the exclusion of baseball/softball, canoeing slalom, eventing, pentathlon, race walking events and one of the wrestling discipline (and that was before women wrestling was included).

http://www.ffcanoe.asso.fr/actualites/evenements/cio_pekin_an.pdf

Il y a 2 heures , JoshMartini007 a déclaré:

I’m going to analyze each sport a bit more in-depth. Overall I will look at each event within the sport and any potential changes and additions, keeping in mind athlete and event limitations seen in the games. I would like to hear your opinions as well (I am going to split aquatics).

Archery

Current Events:

Individual Recurve

Team Recurve

Recurve archery has been a mainstay at the Olympics since 1972 though the sport also had some appearances during the early days of the games. Overall the format is pretty good, a 64 person single elimination tournament for the singles and a 12 team singles elimination tournament for the team event. The sport is able to find a balance between bringing the best and increasing universality.

In a world where athlete quotas didn’t matter there would be very little doubt about the addition of compound events. Despite not having the Olympics compound archery is highly competitive and is played by many nations. Of course adding another 128 athletes for an event that to a person unfamiliar with archery would see as a duplicate would be a hard sell.

While an athlete neutral option is possible where the recurve and compound become a 32 person tournaments and the team event becomes a mixed team (one man and one woman) I feel the reduction of quotas for the recurve will hurt the sport. The event will become less diverse overall, especially if you allow two athletes from the same NOC to compete in the same event and if you only allow one athlete per NOC in the individual event you lose a bit of strength.

A happy medium would be two 48 person tournaments with mixed team which would increase the total athlete quota by 64. Again it will likely be a tough sell overall.

In the current format I prefer the team event over the mixed team. Having three people shoot is a bit more interesting than two people as it can add more variation to the event. I guess you could just add the mixed team event since the athletes would come from the individual pool and thus keep things quota neutral.

Nice review, hope to read more :yes

PS: You could look like at a 40 person tournament for instance with the ranking round serving also as an elimination round like in shooting. it would mean 32 extra quotas for achery, sounds bearable.

Edited by De_Gambassi

Il y a 3 heures , Gianlu33 a déclaré:

So, i tryed to work on the international federation members. It's only the 1st part, I worked for some days for this datas. In next day i'll post the 2nd part

National federations don't necessarily mean that much. For instance, in both Italy and France, we have a cricket federation, yet the game basically doesn't exist in these two countries bar a few immigrants circles.

Anyway, the IOC allready did most of the job

https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/Document Library/OlympicOrg/IOC/Who-We-Are/Commissions/Olympic-Programme-Commission/EN-RIO-2016-International-Federations-Report.pdf

Edited by De_Gambassi

6 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

National federations don't necessarily mean that much. For instance, in both Italy and France, we have a cricket federation, yet the game basically doesn't exist in these two countries bar a few immigrants circles.

I know, but almost we have a federation.

So, sad but right, i think that 99% of italian (me too) never watched a cricket event :p 

il y a 1 minute, Gianlu33 a déclaré:

I know, but almost we have a federation.

So, sad but right, i think that 99% of italian (me too) never watched a cricket event :p 

Why do you need Cricket, when Baseball is such an incredible popular sport all over Italy ? @orangeman

55 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Food for thought, back in 2002, the Olympic Program Commission recommended the exclusion of baseball/softball, canoeing slalom, eventing, pentathlon, race walking events and one of the wrestling discipline (and that was before women wrestling was included).

http://www.ffcanoe.asso.fr/actualites/evenements/cio_pekin_an.pdf

Big changes were made in eventing during that time. It became much more TV and spectator friendly, most importantly.

#banbestmen

7 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

I read a lot of post in this thared, and i think that it was a bit stupid :p So, i tryed to work on the international federation members. It's only the 1st part, I worked for some days for this datas. In next day i'll post the 2nd part

• Diving, Waterpolo, Syncronized Swimming, Swimming - FINA [1450 athletes, 46 events] Low-Medium level

FINA actually have 208 national members. The sport aren't praticated in all center-africa and in some zone of Middle east.

Waterpolo situation in the world is dramatic. We haven't African nations in Rio and we have only 5 asian country in the men's qualification and only 2 in the women's tournament.

Synconized Swimming have a reat traditions in eastern Europe and in mediterranean country like Spain, Greece and Spain, all other europan country haven't a competitive team. We have 2 country in Africa (Spain and Egypt), some country in Asia and North America but the situation is better that the waterpolo's situation.

Diving is play in Europe, East asia, Americas and in some country of north america and south africa and the world level is very high.

• Archery - WA [128 athletes, 4 events] High Level

The World Archery federation actually have 156 members but the soort is played at good level in all continents

• Athletics - IAAF [?? athlete, 47 events] High Level

Really I must write anything about Athletics? :p 

• Badminton - BWF [172 athlete, 5 events] Low Level

Badminton is played whit a good level in Asia and Europe. All other continente have a low level of badminton. The BWF is totally absent in arabian goulf, northen africa and some zone of center africa, center america and Oceania.

Some big country like Saudi Arabia, Bolivia and Egypt haven't a badminton federation.

May I kindly remind you that Egypt almost sent some doubles representatives at Rio 2016 if they weren't out from top 50.

Bolivia does have a federation, but rarely participate in international events.. If I'm not mistaken Saudi Arabia is a provisional member of BWF. (must recheck it again)

If you take out Table Tennis and Badminton out of the Olys that's a whole lot of TV revenue for the IOC gone. You'd be a fool to take those sports out. It's common knowledge that TT in particular draws some of the biggest TV revenues. It's all about the dollar, not what country is dominating a particular sport, so it's a reason enough to be gone. 

Edited by Joshi

19 hours ago, Quasit said:

Because you don't like China winning it? :d

They show the most amazing performances, similarly to the US teams in basketball.

Honestly, it's not surprising to me when I see non-Asians refering to table tennis as 'ping pong'.

I'd like baseball/softball to stay for longer, not just for Tokyo.

Basketball is completely different from table tennis for several reasons.  First, the USA has not won every gold since basketball's inclusion in the Olympics.  It has a very diverse history.  It is really only recently that the USA has really dominated it, relatively speaking.  Second, the same amount of countries have won gold in basketball this century as all table tennis events combined.  The difference is the USA can only win a max of two golds every 4 years whereas China is basically handed 4.  Other countries also necessarily win medals in basketball (since the USA can only win one for each gender) whereas China wins almost all of them, with S Korea cleaning up most of the rest.  

I don't think one country's domination of a particular sport is necessarily cause for it to be dropped.  However, I do believe that if a sport has been absolutely dominated by one country since its inclusion with no interest from most of the rest of the world over that time period, it should be looked at critically.  Take curling.  Canada, Scotland (GB) and some Northern European countries dominated it until it got into the Olympics.  These days we see loads of other countries entering competitions, particularly China who has risen in power in the sport in a short time.  

Maybe I was a bit too harsh on TT earlier, but when I see people talking about actually exciting sports where more than 2 countries compete competitively being dropped, I just have to always point to TT.  So maybe it shouldn't be dropped, but if anything is going to be, it should be considered at or near the top of the list.  I do have an appreciation for it (watched some during the Asian Games in Incheon last year) but if there is limited space on the Olympic programme I'd prefer other things ahead of it.  

Oh, and after living in Korea and China I can tell you Asians don't mind calling it ping pong, either.  

19 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Pretty much, a sport/event being dominated by one nation should have no bearing on its inclusion in the Olympics. Now if the sport is dominated because only a small handful of nations play it is one thing, but in reality table tennis is one of the most played sports in the Olympics. The Chinese and East Asia in general are that good

20 hours ago, Jur said:

So, we take out Table Tennis because China is better than anyone else? Doesn't see to fair to me.

It's like taking out Basket because there's no way someone can beat US.

They've earn this domination.

But I don't think they've 'earned' their domination.  Like I said, they've dominated it since it was added to the programme.  

Is it one of the most played sports in the Olympics, though?  I'd like to see numbers on that.  And I don't mean 500 million players in China.  I mean seriously competitive leagues in many countries around the world.  I have lived on three continents and have friends from all others (besides Antarctica of course...those penguins are so mean!) and have not met anyone who cared about TT in any way outside East Asia (and even here a lot of people don't care).  I have honestly met more people into equestrian, archery and trampoline.  

But anyway, I've yammered on about this enough.  I've made my point.  

Edited by orangeman