website statistics

If you could create new Olympic Events...

intoronto

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

No, that's impossible. No professional rugby team can take that. You can have two games between 5 days rest maybe ONE time, but 3 times in a row will end with more than half of the team injured. And believe me, rugby players get injured A LOT. Even in regular club championships were they play once per week it's very common to rotate a bunch of players each match because many are injured.

Let’s see 2015 rugby World Cup group stage. I count all dates during group stage from and including day of the first game to and including the day of the last game for this teams.

Australia - 4 games during 18 dates
Fiji - 4 games during 19 dates
South Africa - 4 games during 19 dates
Scotland - 4 games during 18 dates
New Zealand – 4 games during 20 dates
Georgia - 4 games during 19 dates
Namibia - 4 games during 18 dates
Romania- 4 games during 19 dates
Canada - - 4 games during 18 dates
The others - 21 - 23 dates.

At the Olympics we have 19-20 dates for 4 games. It's enough for format which I described or format with 2 groups with 4 teams (with finals but without semifanals). And all teams will start in one day.

After I counted this I think it's more possible than I thought before :d

il y a 7 minutes, Dmitry a déclaré:

Let’s see 2015 rugby World Cup group stage. I count all dates during group stage from and including day of the first game to and including the day of the last game for this teams.

Australia - 4 games during 18 dates
Fiji - 4 games during 19 dates
South Africa - 4 games during 19 dates
Scotland - 4 games during 18 dates
New Zealand – 4 games during 20 dates
Georgia - 4 games during 19 dates
Namibia - 4 games during 18 dates
Romania- 4 games during 19 dates
Canada - - 4 games during 18 dates
The others - 21 - 23 dates.

At the Olympics we have 19-20 dates for 4 games. It's enough for format which I described or format with 2 groups with 4 teams (with finals but without semifanals). And all teams will start in one day.

It's never going to happen, forget about it, the unions don't want it, WR doesn't want it, the clubs most certainly don't want it.

hace 2 minutos, Dmitry said:

Because almost all teams play with substitutes in at least one match during group stage....

Argentina and New Zealand for example played substitutes vs Namibia, Ireland and France did vs Romania, etc

I really dont get why some people here are so desperate to cut certain sports from the olympics. Do people here realize that cutting a sport from the olympics can "kill" a sport? I would think twice before cutting a sport from the olympics if i would be an IOC official. If IOC would really like to reduce the number of athletes to lower the costs, then they maybe shouldnt add 5 new sports for the next olympics or they should cut some weight classes or disciplines. I dont get the sense of cutting canoeing sprint or equestrian dressage, because both those sports use facilities that need to be build anyway for other sports. It would make more sense to cut a sport like canoeing slalom or golf.

Here is what IOC officials should do in my opinion (if they would want to reduce the number of participants):

Archery: 16 teams for each gender + 16 individual athletes -> draw of 16 for teams, draw of 64 for individuals

Athletics: Much less participants for marathons and mens/womens 100 m, maybe 50-60 athletes each, no more mens 50 km race walking

I think this means that we wouldve had 100-200 athletes less in Rio only in athletics

Basketball: 16 teams for each gender

Boxing: I think 6 or 7 weight categories should be enough on the mens side, for example -54 kg, -60 kg, -68 kg, -78 kg, -90 kg, +90 kg

On the womens side they should add another weight category, for example - 46 kg, - 56 kg, -70 kg, + 70 kg

Canoeing slalom: I wouldnt cut mens C2 and i think womens C1 isnt developed enough to be added. I would keep everything pretty much the same, but i would allow all those athletes who qualified in mens C2 also to compete in mens C1

In my opinion there shouldnt be any semifinals, but top 10/12 after 2 heats (best time counts) should advance to the final

Caneoing sprint: I think it would be enough to have the following disciplines: Mens K1 1000 m, mens C1 1000 m, mens K2 1000 m, womens K1 500 m, womens K2 500 m + maybe womens C1 500 m

Cycling road: Allow 3 athletes per nation for the individual time trial, keep the rest the same

Cycling BMX: I think there should be 32 participants on the womens side and they should have the same system in heats and the semifinals. In my opinion it would also be better to have less riders in every heat (so that there are less crashes)

Cylcing mountainbike: Keep everything the same

Cycling track: I think omnium should be replaced by the elimination/points race

Diving: I think there should be at least 12 teams in the synchronized events or they should completely cut the sychronized events

Equestrian: Personally i would like to only have 2 events, jumping and a cross-country competition, but if they want to keep the same disciplines, then they should change the system for individual eventing, with the final result determined by 4 rounds

Fencing: Personally i would cut the team events, so that top 64 from olympic/world ranking (3 per nation) qualify for the individual events. If they want to keep the team events, than it would be better to have all team events at every olympic games, but there should be more spots for individual athletes who didnt qualify with a team.

Field hockey: I am not sure whether it would make sense to allow 16 teams for each gender ... ?

Football: 16 teams on the womens side, open age category on the mens side

Golf: Keep everything the same

Gymnastics artistic: I dont know whether it would make sense to allow 16 teams for each gender ... ? In my opinion there should be more spots for individual athletes. For example Romania should have been able to qualify more than 1 athlete on the womens side. There are some other minor changes i would make, but nothing really important.

Gymnastics rhythmic: Personally i would cut this sport, because results are determined by judges and sometimes very hard to "understand". I think the format in general is ok, i think they can keep everything the same if this is supposed to remain olympic.

Gymnastics trampoline: I would allow more than 16 competitors, maybe 32 for each gender.

Handball: I think this sport is competitive enough to have 16 teams per gender, teams like Spain or Iceland cleary would have improved the level of competition on the mens side.

Judo: In my opinion 5 weight categories would be enough for each gender. I dont get why we have 3 weight categories for womens -57 kg ...

Modern pentathlon: I think this sport should remain olympic with the current system, the equestrian part is almost like a lottery. I think they should cut the fencing bonus round and replace the equestrian part by something else, for example rowing or cycling.

Rowing: I think they should cut the lightweight weight categories and add a womens four.

Rugby: I think this sport is competitive enough to have 16 teams per gender and in my opinion each game should last a bit longer, maybe 2 x 15 minutes.

Sailing: Personally i would cut the nacra discipline, in my opinion there shouldnt be mixed competitions in general.

Shooting: I think they could cut one out of 10 m air pistol/50 m pistol (25 m pistol on the womens side) and one out of 10 m air rifle/50 m rifle prone/50 m rifle 3 positions (on the mens side), i think mens double trap should also be cut.

Swimming: Personally i would maybe cut 50 m free and 400 IM, but in my opinion it would also be ok to keep everything the same. I dont like the open water competition, because its almost impossible to distinguish the athletes, maybe everyone should wear a cap with his/her nations flag on it ...

I would also make the distance a bit longer, 15 or 20 km, to make it more difficult for athletes like Wilimovsky or Van Rouwendaal to double up.

In my opinion there is no need to have relay-only reserve swimmers, if a nation wants to bring some of them, then they should house them in a hotel, the same is true for reserve/relay-only athletes in all other sports.

Synchronized swimming: My problems with rhythmic gymnastics are also the problems i have with synchronized swimming, but like rhythmic gymnastics this sport uses facilities that need to be build anyway, so there is no need to cut it. I think this sport is not competitive enough to have so many different duets, 12-16 would be enough in my opinion. I also have a problem with sports that are only for men or women and i guess no one would want to see mens rhythmic gymnastics/synchronized swimming ...

Table tennis: I would replace team events with doubles events, this might increase the diversity of medallists and it would be more likely that China gets beaten.

Taekwondo: I think this is the only sport with the right number of weight categories, i would keep everything the same, but maybe allow more competitors. I think it would be nice to have 24 competitors in each weight category, top 8 seeds automatically advance to the second round. This is one of the most diverse sports, so maybe they could even allow 32 athletes in each weight category ... ?

Tennis: I would cut mixed doubles. Maybe they should also think about only allowing athletes who qualified individually to compete in mens/womens doubles, otherwise 16 doubles per gender should be enough.

Triathlon: No need to change anything.

Volleyball indoor: In my opinion this sport is clearly competitive enough to have 16 teams per gender.

Volleyball beach: I would allow 32 teams per gender (3 per nation)

Water polo: I dont know whether this sport is competitive enough to allow 16 teams per gender ... ? In my opinion it might be the least competitive team sport together with rugby and hockey.

Weightlifting: In my opinion 5 or 6 weight categories should be enough on each side. Personally i cant stand this sport anymore and maybe it is time to cut it from the olympics, considering the number of doping cases ... Hopefully IWF will find a way to solve this problem.

Wrestling: Personally i would cut greco-roman, its completely confusing to watch it. I really dont think that there should be 18 gold medals in wrestling, considering that its one of the less popular sports.

To sum it up: Cut weight classes/disciplines instead of whole sports and increase the number of teams in team sports, because team sports are the most important sports in my opinion. Its easier to identify with/cheer for a team than for individual athletes in my opinion, so more spots for teams would probably make the olympics more interesting for many people.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, LDOG said:

Because almost all teams play with substitutes in at least one match during group stage....

Argentina and New Zealand for example played substitutes vs Namibia, Ireland and France did vs Romania, etc

I can't see a problem. That's nearly the same like in the other team sport when favourite plays with outsider. Coach of the strong team did some changes in the squad. But the most players still played in all 4 games. Teams used their full squad.
More important to see how many changes were in the full squads of the teams with injured players. Let's look to group stage of 2015 World Cup since the teams were started their first game and until they were finished fourth. There are no teams that did more than 2 substitutes in this period. Many teams didn't substitutes in this period at all.
So there are no too much problems with it.

3 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

It's never going to happen, forget about it, the unions don't want it, WR doesn't want it, the clubs most certainly don't want it.

Previous years I think people can say something like this about professional tennis players. NBA players. NHL players, golfers, professional boxers. But now they are at the Olympics. It depends from the relationships. And they can change very fast.

Anyway I just want to say that format of rugby union possible for the Olympics. There are no impassable barrier for it.

hace 6 minutos, Dmitry said:

I can't see a problem. That's nearly the same like in the other team sport when favourite plays with outsider. Coach of the strong team did some changes in the squad. But the most players still played in all 4 games. Teams used their full squad.
More important to see how many changes were in the full squads of the teams with injured players. Let's look to group stage of 2015 World Cup since the teams were started their first game and until they were finished fourth. There are no teams that did more than 2 substitutes in this period. Many teams didn't substitutes in this period at all.
So there are no too much problems with it.

But at the world cup there are weak teams to rest players, in your format of 8 teams in which only 1 qualifies for final there are no possible "rest games" you have to play every match to the max or you lose. Rugby is very competitive among the top 10 teams, if let's say New Zealand doesn't play with their best team, they can lose to Scotland, for example.

I would agree with cutting the rhytmic gimnastics and synchro swimming based on the reasons mentioned above.

As regards to boxing, wrestling and weightlifting: here the problem is not that those sports are there but the way their olympic competitions are run which simply compromises their integrity. Take for example boxing: I totally agree with the poster who said that a final warning should be sent to AIBA to tackle the allegations of manipulation, corruption and so on. Same with weightlifting but the issue of doping.

On wrestling: in many matches of this Olympics the refereeing was simply scandalous. I could name at least for countries which were systematically disadvantaged on this way.

Also it is a joke that matches are decided by cautions given at random or by sport diplomatic considerations. If there is a tie there should be e.g. extra time to decide the match.

In sum: after the decision the exclude wrestling was reversed in 2013, the intl' federation should now understand that the Olympics is not a place for sport diplomatic point scoring or advancement of special interests as it undermines the rationale of "getting back" wrestling despite the original IOC decision.

In case of sports whose popularity is totally uneven by geographic regions (like rugby, field hockey, water polo and mens water polo in particular) the relaxation of geographic protection or the waiving of host country automatic quota place might be considered. In this way we would see more even or closer matches.

In water polo the group stage should be reworked completely. It made no sense in its current form (particularly in women's tournament where everyone made it to the knockout stage), and as the rank after group stage decided which opponent they face in rd 1 of the knockout stage, there was ample possibility of "tactical defeats" in order to get an opponent they would like (as it actually happened in men's tournament)

The place of water polo is not the safest one in the Olympic program, so to say, and it cannot afford "own goals" like this

Edited by dharang

Seriously, I would remove Trampoline (boring and unattractive), Synchro Swimming, Boxing and Taekwondo. 

I would drip Dressage and Cross Country in Equestrian, and expand Show Jumping to separate men and women, as well as men's team and women's team.

Table Tennis also needs to change. More options like doubles and mixed doubles (with one pair per country) would help a lot. 

Athletics has way too many events. Drop 200 m, 3000 steeplechase and 10,000 events. Also, drop 800 and 1,500 in swimming, as well as 4x200 m relay. Unnecessarily long and boring. 

5 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Seriously, I would remove Trampoline (boring and unattractive), Synchro Swimming, Boxing and Taekwondo. 

I would drip Dressage and Cross Country in Equestrian, and expand Show Jumping to separate men and women, as well as men's team and women's team.

Table Tennis also needs to change. More options like doubles and mixed doubles (with one pair per country) would help a lot. 

Athletics has way too many events. Drop 200 m, 3000 steeplechase and 10,000 events. Also, drop 800 and 1,500 in swimming, as well as 4x200 m relay. Unnecessarily long and boring. 

I think Swimming and Athletics are fine, they are meant to have that many events. I wouldn't remove Trampoline entirely, maybe replace the singles with tumbling?