website statistics

If you could create new Olympic Events...

intoronto

I would not remove any sports but guide better federations where is corruption (boxing at first, i have feeling gold medalists were known in advance) 

also i think boxing needs again helmets with sensors like in taekwondo 

water polo 12 teams for women

all team events in fencing

no 50m and mixed events in swimming

and no mixed events in any sport 

Edited by DaniSRB

I'd just add a couple more women's events in boxing for now, I think AIBA wants two more for Tokyo

I'd add an extra women's event in weightlifting to even out the genders (due to the way qualification works it does not require extra quota)

I'd add madison to track cycling and make the bmx time trial a medal event

Edited by carivan

Judo/Taekwondo/Karate: Adding karate as one more combat sport is too much... Ideally I would like to have only one out of these three along with wrestling and boxing

Football: If at all it has to stay remove the age cap… but I doubt this happens because of hugely powerful clubs around the world… even neymar and messi has to choose only one event out of Copa/Olympics

Hockey: There is no way it can be removed... IHF has done enough to make it more fast paced with 4 quarters.... someone rightly said teams from 4 different continents are good enough to win medals

Swimming: Too many medals here(32)... mostly distributed among small group of nations... Free style should stay and may be back stroke... remove all other categories

Wrestling: By far the best combat sport along with Boxing.... but would like to remove Greco Roman and expand the free style to 9 events per gender

Regarding new additions Baseball seems to be ok…. but not convinced with Skateboarding/Sport climbing… Squash and even chess could have been looked into as new additions

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Removing the most widespread team sport in terms of nations/continents with realistic medal chances (hockey) would be ridiculous in my opinion.

Just like keeping men's junior football is ridiculous. Swimming should definitely not be expanded, adding even more events would have absolutely no added value.

They could scrap some weights in for example men's boxing...no reason to have a weight class for every 3-4kg.

spot on ... can't agree more with your observations on hockey and swimming:yes

2 hours ago, Dolby said:

Among all the team sports, Hockey is the most diverse sport. Teams from 4 continents (except Africa) are capable of winning medals. 

With USA doing well in womens hockey in RIO i would say it as 5 continents now

Hmm..... 

Golf - I would add some sort of a ryder cup event

Water Polo - The OQT showed that there are really no more then 8 good teams, unless there will be more teams just no point of increasing it, i would even take away the automatic host quota for water polo, great britain and brazil showed very low quality past 2 olympics

Tennis - even though usa won gold, silver i'd take out the mixed doubles, dont see value to event where you are not qualifying to , but just assigned to because you are there

Weightlifting, Boxing - Take Out 

I would love to say make a normal football tournament with regular players but thats just not going to happen, but maybe if at least they remove the under 23 limitation then each team can bring who they can, so maybe the top players wont play but at least it will not feel amateur like.

Diving - Remove china for unfairness :p   ok no, but the lack of competition is really frustrating 

Archery: Mixed doubles (No more quota places, just the 16 best pairs adding the results of the qualifiying round)

Athletics: Add women's 50km race walk and 4x400 mixed.

Beach volleyball: More teams.

Boxing: Paired up men's and women's events

Canoeing: Slalom mixed team event (No more quotas, teams made up with already qualifiyers)

Cycling: Track events need a shake ASAP.

Equestrian: Team events in eventing and dressage OUT

Fencing: Team events out, make one big team with the six existing events.

Football: Men's down to 12 teams.

Golf: Mixed event of one men, one woman (no more quotas)

Modern Pentathlon: SERIOUSLY? This sport should disappear.

Sailing: A match race comeback, please.

Syncro: Mixed duo.

Triathlon: Mixed relay.

Waterpolo: Women's teams up to 10. 12 it's impossible. Not enough good teams,

I would add the three events of Climbing in both gender, both genders in Surf, and both genders in High Diving.