website statistics

If you could create new Olympic Events...

intoronto

I thought it would be interesting to see member's thoughts on the current Summer Olympics program and suggestions moving forward, in light of the Olympics just finishing yesterday.

Archery: I have nothing to really suggest here.

Athletics: Get rid of the walksNo one 'walks' like race walkers, athletics is supposed to be running. This would also get to an equal amount of men and women's events. 

Badminton: Having groups of four across the board (which would guarantee 3 matches per pair/athlete) is a good starting point. Also having the second place athlete advance in the singles, would create for more exciting results. 

Basketball: No comment

Beach volleyball: Expand to 32 teams per gender  

Boxing: Remove the sport in its entirety 

Canoeing: Sprint canoeing needs more quotas. Slalom for four events the venue is not justified. Adding events to slalom would be beneficial in the grand scheme of things. Its a cool sport too.

Cycling: Road/Mountain biking are fine. For BMX add a time trial event (no extra quotas). For track cycling 12 events (3 endurance and 3 sprint) each per gender.

Diving: Keep the current qualification system, however allow countries that have qualified two athletes in an individual event (but not synchro) to enter the synchro event if they want. 

Equestrian: Dressage as an individual discipline needs to go, it will continue to exist as part of eventing. 

Fencing: Get rid of the team events and expand the quotas into the individual events

Field hockey: I would remove this sport in its entirety (imo this was the most boring event of the Summer Olympics)

Football: Reduce men's teams to 12; to make it uniform across all team sports

Golf: Surprisingly this was an interesting tournament!, However maybe a pairs tournament (where both scores count) instead will be better. Hopefully the best players come too next time.

Gymnastics: Get rid of rhythmic

Handball: No comment

Judo: The leg rule needs to go

Modern pentathlon: Its actually pretty cool to watch, however I don't think one dedicated stadium should be built for the sport.

Rowing: Increase A finals to 8 teams in the bigger events. 

Rugby sevens: No comment 

Sailing: No comment 

Shooting: No comment. 

Swimming: Make the program uniform to the World Championship program

Synchro: I would remove this sport in its entirety

Table tennis: I would remove this sport in its entirety

Taekwondo: As we saw, this sport allows for smaller nations to win medals, so I suggest expanding this to 12 weight categories (from the current 8)

Tennis: No comment 

Triathlon: Add mixed relay

Volleyball: No comment

Water polo: 12 women's teams 

Weightlifting: I would remove this sport in its entirety (doping is the main reason why)

Wrestling: I would remove greco-roman and expand the quotas for the remaining 12 events, or expand to 14 events in freestyle. The passivity system needs to be upgraded as well. 

In summary:
Drop: Boxing (-286), Field hockey (-256), Drop 4 men's football teams (-72) Weightlifting (-260), Table tennis (172) Dressage Equestrian (-60) Greco-Roman Wrestling (-114), Rhythmic gymnastics (-96) and Synchronized swimming (-104), Race walks = 0 (athletics quota would be redistributed to other events) = 1,420 additional spots. 

In place of the above sports I would add (as part of the core program:)

Existing sports:

Beach volleyball 32 teams per gender = + 32

Canoeing sprint +2 quotas in each event (excluding k4) = +28 

Canoe slalom = adding C1 for women = +20 

Cycling track = +24 for the addition of two additional events 

Water polo women's teams = +52

Taekwondo + 4 events = +64

Wrestling = Redistribute the 114 quotas among 14 freestyle weight classes. 

= + 334

Add:

Baseball/Softball - a new type of sport is added (ball and bat). 8 teams per gender. (+312). Replaces field hockey on the team sport program

Karate: a combative sport to replace boxing. 16*10 weight categories = 160 

Squash: A more competitive racket sport (vs table tennis). (+172, with singles and team events per gender)

= +644

=+978. 

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

Archery: I have nothing to really suggest here.

Add 4 teams to make it an even 16. Difference in quota could be split between additional quotas and reducing individual quotas. Also, if IOC agrees, I would like to see Compound events in Olympics as well. It is well developed and would bring more diversity to Archery. 

3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Badminton: Having groups of four across the board (which would guarantee 3 matches per pair/athlete) is a good starting point. Also having the second place athlete advance in the singles, would create for more exciting results. 

Bit problematic. At present, there are 38 quota places for MS and WS. Plus, we have extra quota places due to players qualifying in 2 events. To have uniform groups of 4 and second place athlete also advancing would mean reducing quota to 32 (8 groups of 4). Also, no more reallocation of doubles quotas. A large number of nations would miss out if we do that. 

9 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Boxing: Remove the sport in its entirety 

:yes

9 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Field hockey: I would remove this sport in its entirety (imo this was the most boring event of the Summer Olympics)

Among all the team sports, Hockey is the most diverse sport. Teams from 4 continents (except Africa) are capable of winning medals. 

15 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Football: Reduce men's teams to 12; to make it uniform across all team sports

Remove the sport. Olympics is no place for U-23 tournament. 

I don't get the grief weightlifting gets over doping. Sure, it's a disgrace what's happening to the 2008 and 2012 results but at least they're doing something about it. They were the other ones besides IAAF that had the guts to ban Russia, they would have banned other offenders if IOC had hurried up with the results and already reallocated a medal and banned several countries for the WC next year. Instead, we have people like FINA that protects and pampers dopers. We are hearing a lot about doping in weightlifting precisely because IWF wants to do something about it.

Archery: Remove the men's/women's team events and replace with mixed pairs

Athletics: Add the women's 50k walk as soon as possible to even up the programme. Limit marathon to 100 starters. Only 2 semi-finals in each event

Beach volleyball: Agree to expand to 32 teams per gender  

Boxing: Give final warning to governing body. Any more allegations of corruption and the sport goes. However if it stays then women's boxing divisions should be doubled.

Canoeing: Small addition in quotas in sprint. Add team events in slalom.

Cycling: Small reduction in entrants in road race. Add downhill mountain biking. Reintroduction of individual pursuit for men and women.

Diving:  Look at introduction of mixed synchro.

Fencing: If possible combined all team events into 1 all-around team event, 1 fencer from each weapon (Is that practical?)

Football: Remove the age limit. Make it a mini World Cup with 16 not 32 teams,

Golf: Introduce a 3-person team event. Identical format to the Dunhill Cup https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_Dunhill_Cup

Gymnastics: Rhythmic out - tumbling in.

Rowing: Venue must be more "weather-proof" than Rio

Rugby sevens: Expand to 16 teams?

Swimming: Introduce 50m fly, back,breast

Synchro: Sorry - must go.

Table tennis: Replace team events with doubles (1 pair per nation)

Taekwondo: No limit on team sizes. In some cases the 5th best in a country would have been a medal contender but since only 4 can go to the Olympics they have to stay at home.

Triathlon: Add mixed relay

Water polo: Expand to 12 women's teams 

Weightlifting:Give final warning to governing body. Any more allegations of corruption and the sport goes

Wrestling: Remove Greco-Roman

Also

Baseball/Softball  - No addition of the sport until players from the US Major Leagues are guaranteed to be there. You wouldn't watch the 100 metres if the 1000 best sprinters were missing - so why watch baseball when their 1000 best players won't be there.

Karate - No place for karate as there are too many combat sports already. Frankly it's not as interesting as the current sports anyway

Edited by Dragon

Removing the most widespread team sport in terms of nations/continents with realistic medal chances (hockey) would be ridiculous in my opinion.

Just like keeping men's junior football is ridiculous. Swimming should definitely not be expanded, adding even more events would have absolutely no added value.

They could scrap some weights in for example men's boxing...no reason to have a weight class for every 3-4kg.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

And every suggestion that talks about adding a mixed event in any sport automatically has my disapproval :p

No added value.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Out Boxing, Dressage as individual event, men's football, modern penthatlon, wrestling and rhythmic gymnastics.

I'm also not a big fan of team competitions on individual events (tennis, table tennis, fencing, archery).

I would not put any more sport in.

Regarding Field Hockey, I actually like it a lot, and it's my favourite kind of hockey, though I don't think more teams are neede to the Olympic tournament.