website statistics

Swimming Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

7:52 something for the Dutch women's 4x200m moments ago, meaning they have qualified for Rio :cheer:

Edit: Oops, it's of course not 100% sure yet. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Day 2 of the Canadian Trials saw 5 more swimmers qualify (4 women and 1 man)

Javier Acevedo in the men's backstroke, 0.03 seconds of the NR at 53:67

Dominque Bouchard (59.93) and Kylie Masse (59.06, new NR and second best time in the world this year) qualified in the women's 100m backstroke  

Emily Overholt and Sydney Pickerm both qualified in the 400im, both well off Overholt's NR set back in 2015 when she won bronze at the Worlds.

No qualifiers in the men's 200m butterfly.

7 hours ago, intoronto said:

Day 2 of the Canadian Trials saw 5 more swimmers qualify (4 women and 1 man)

Javier Acevedo in the men's backstroke, 0.03 seconds of the NR at 53:67

Dominque Bouchard (59.93) and Kylie Masse (59.06, new NR and second best time in the world this year) qualified in the women's 100m backstroke  

Emily Overholt and Sydney Pickerm both qualified in the 400im, both well off Overholt's NR set back in 2015 when she won bronze at the Worlds.

No qualifiers in the men's 200m butterfly.

Is this the very last chance for Canadians to qualify? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Is this the very last chance for Canadians to qualify? 

Mostly yes. The main exception is with injury/illness (I don't think anyone important is sick/injured), 2015 world champ medalists which failed here (only Ryan Cochrane in 400m and 1500m free remains) and technically relay athletes won't be qualified until after they qualified the relay (though I think they will be listed with the initial team).

Some really important news:

Agnel (France) will be allowed to defend his olympic title in mens 200 free, Pothain "gave" up his spot.

Park (South Korea) probably wont be allowed by his federation to compete in Rio, because he was caught doping last year. :yes

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I’ve been collecting dates for each nation’s Olympic trials. I’ve gotten all of the large ones, but I am missing a few mid-sized nations.

Belgium

Greece

Hungary

Sweden

It’s possible that they don’t have trials and just used times, but I would like to know for sure. Most of the smaller swimming nations won’t have trials, but if yours does don’t hesitate to post the dates.

50 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I’ve been collecting dates for each nation’s Olympic trials. I’ve gotten all of the large ones, but I am missing a few mid-sized nations.

Belgium

Greece

Hungary

Sweden

It’s possible that they don’t have trials and just used times, but I would like to know for sure. Most of the smaller swimming nations won’t have trials, but if yours does don’t hesitate to post the dates.

I'm 99% sure Belgium will just use times luckily, no hassles with trials and having to peak another time and so on.

These Belgians are listed as officially qualified on their NOC's website:

c280f0920a.png

Apart from that, their selection criteria since this year are the exact same as the international standards.