website statistics

What is your Nation's Goal for Summer Olympic Games 2016?

3 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

My list - I think between 4- 10 medals is realistic as non of them are really favorites or even most likely medallists barring Jitu Rais two events where he is ranked 2 and 3 respectively 

Top 20 Medal chances for India( this is in no order ) 

1. 50m Prone - Gagan Narang - Medalllist last year in one of the Fort benning world cups 2015  , has the big occasion temperament 

2. 10m Air rifle(m) - Abhinav Bindra - Big occasion shooter , is showing signs of a return to form ( in baku world cup was leading finals after 2 rounds  by a big margin ), a gold medallist has the temperament to shoot ( only a fool would say that Abhinav cannot medal in Rio..... In case any of you want to dispute that :d )  

3. 10m Air Pistol(m) - Jitu Rai - Bronze medal at the chongwon world cup - consistently has been in finals - One of Indias top hopes 

4. 50m Air Pistol(m)- Jitu Rai - Currently Ranked world number 2 in this event , silver at the world championships - a class act 

5. Skeet(m) - Mairaj - The only Indian who won a medal at the Rio World cup this year - currently ranked world no 4 ( never thought we would have a skeet prospect )

6. 10m Air rifle(w) - Apurvi - broke the world record last year , last years world cup final silver medal 

7. Womens Badminton - Sania Nehwal - world championship silver medallist , in good form 

8. Mens Hockey Team - Last two major tournaments - Silver and Bronze 

9. Tennis Mixed Doubles - With Sania in the team we have one of the best women's players with a very small field just two good matches and you are in with a medal 

10.Boxing - Shiva - A medal at the world championship ....... 

11. Boxing - Vikas - Indias finest boxer reached quarters of the world championship , is a world championship medallist 

12. Wrestling - Narsingh - The only indian till now to win the olympic quota at the world championship , shows his class 

13. Wrestling - Yogi- Missed the world championship due to injury but his form at the asian qualifiers was fearsome 

14. Wrestling - Vignesh - Awesome form at the last qualifiers , again her form was so good 

15. Archery womens team - Current world championship silver medal , has consistently been medal-ling 

16. Archery womens individual - Deepika is a true championship so many medals  , was immature last time in her first olympics , now is more mature 

17. 10m air pistol ( w) - Heena Sidhu has been ranked world number one in 2014 was in fine form in the run up to the asian qualifiers 

18. Womens weightlifiting - Mirabhai Chanu in the 48 Kgs has lifted 192 which puts her in the elite list of top 3-4 weightlifters, she has been consistenly improving in the last few months and I feel will reach the level of 194 or so at Rio ..that should fetch her a medal with some luck 

19. Womens Vault - The fast improving Dipa Kramakar came 5th at the world championship , she has been getting a lot of support and will improve further , a medal prospect  in gymnastics 

20. Womens Badminton - PV sindhu - two times world championship bronze medallist is definately a prospect 

Approx. a third of medal opportunities convert so 6-7

28 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Approx. a third of medal opportunities convert so 6-7

I agree ...if you go strictly  by the last world championships in each sport it looks like this 

Shooting - 1 silver 

Wrestling - 1 bronze 

Boxing - 1 bronze

Hockey - 1 bronze 

Badminton - 1 Silver 

Archery - 1 silver 

Tennis - difficult to estimate - Mixed Doubles perf - But possible bronze based on Grand slam average 

so comes to 7 medals............................... But couple of things may help us go ahead .....Some serious money comes in just before the olympics which does not happen before the world championship ....so expect some extra improvement especially in shooting , Our best wrestler did not participate in the world championship so had he done I could legitimately expect another medal ......but on the down side archery and tennis have never done well for us so they may come down .................  Upper side 10 .....lower side 4 ................ Best bet 7 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

hace 9 minutos, nitinsanker said:

I agree ...if you go strictly  by the last world championships in each sport it looks like this 

Shooting - 1 silver 

Wrestling - 1 bronze 

Boxing - 1 bronze

Hockey - 1 bronze 

Badminton - 1 Silver 

Archery - 1 silver 

Tennis - difficult to estimate - Mixed Doubles perf - But possible bronze based on Grand slam average 

so comes to 7 medals............................... But couple of things may help us go ahead .....Some serious money comes in just before the olympics which does not happen before the world championship ....so expect some extra improvement especially in shooting , Our best wrestler did not participate in the world championship so had he done I could legitimately expect another medal ......but on the down side archery and tennis have never done well for us so they may come down .................  Upper side 10 .....lower side 4 ................ Best bet 7 

India didn't win any medal at the last hockey world championships....

Well Strictly speaking there is no championship called the world championship in hockey ...there is a world cup and then there is a world league and then there is a champions trophy .................as we have a silver in the champions Trophy , a bronze in the world league and a 9th in the world cup to average it out to a bronze is reasonable ?

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Today our NOC approved the Slovak Team and announced the whole stuff around. so they also unveiled the goals for Rio.

so lets go. keep your hats !

the goal of Slovakia in Rio is simple and clear -- win a Gold Medal.

I absolutely agree this is my own goal too. finally win this gold. well there many hopes, but you know sport is sport. even if you are fav you can win in great day but finish last in bad one.

maybe the biggets chance for gold is ofc our K4-1000m. let say if they don´t win medal it will be a huge scandal. but gold is ofc another thing. let´s hope this time everything will work well and we will finally win this medal we are still missing...

hace 11 minutos, nitinsanker said:

I agree I had considered the World Hockey league finals performance as the most recent truly  world championship, as the official world championship  was more than 2 years ago and is not really representative of current form but yes as I said strictly world championship you would need to reduce that total to six 

For me the world league finals are less representative since some teams don't play with their strongest squads. I'd even say the semi-finals were more serious since teams were looking for olympic qualification and therefore played them at their best.

19 minutes ago, LDOG said:

India didn't win any medal at the last hockey world championships....

Well Strictly speaking there is no championship called the world championship in Field  hockey ...there is a world cup and then there is a world league and then there is a champions trophy ...............So I had taken the last major global event as the world hockey league where we had got a bronze ............But if I took the champions trophy we had got a silver ........... so i would still say that we could be considered an equivalent of a bronze .........

Edited by nitinsanker

The overall goal for Team GB set by Uk Sport/BOA has been the same since London 2012, become the first host country ever to get more medals at the following games than their home games - an abitious target that requires 66 medals or more in order to be achieved.

At London 2012 this was the medal breakdown: [Rio expectation]

Athletics - 6 [Similar]

Boxing - 5 [Less]

Canoe Slalom - 2 [Less]

Canoe Sprint - 2 [Similar]

Cycling Road - 3 [Similar]

Cycling Track - 9 [Less]

Diving - 1 [More]

Equestrian - 5 [Similar]

Gymnastics Artistic - 4 [Similar]

Hockey - 1 [Similar]

Judo - 2 [Less]

Modern Pentathlon - 1 [Similar]

Rowing - 9 [Less]

Sailing - 5 [Similar]

Shooting - 1 [Similar]

Swimming - 3 [More]

Taekwondo - 2 [Similar]

Tennis - 2 [Similar]

Triathlon - 2 [Similar]

Potential New Medal Sports:

Golf

Rugby Sevens

14 minutes ago, uk12points said:

The overall goal for Team GB set by Uk Sport/BOA has been the same since London 2012, become the first host country ever to get more medals at the following games than their home games - an abitious target that requires 66 medals or more in order to be achieved.

At London 2012 this was the medal breakdown: [Rio expectation]

Athletics - 6 [Similar]

Boxing - 5 [Less]

Canoe Slalom - 2 [Less]

Canoe Sprint - 2 [Similar]

Cycling Road - 3 [Similar]

Cycling Track - 9 [Less]

Diving - 1 [More]

Equestrian - 5 [Similar]

Gymnastics Artistic - 4 [Similar]

Hockey - 1 [Similar]

Judo - 2 [Less]

Modern Pentathlon - 1 [Similar]

Rowing - 9 [Less]

Sailing - 5 [Similar]

Shooting - 1 [Similar]

Swimming - 3 [More]

Taekwondo - 2 [Similar]

Tennis - 2 [Similar]

Triathlon - 2 [Similar]

Potential New Medal Sports:

Golf

Rugby Sevens

i see confident to let Russia behind, the dopings situation are helping the UK indirectly.

GB official medal target announced as 'best away Olympics ever' topping the 47 medals won in Beijing with a target of 47-79 medals. Individual breakdown below for UK Sport funded sports (excludes Table Tennis and Sync Swimming):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnUsmt5XgAAlcoL.jpg

Edited by uk12points