website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

George_D

19 hours ago, hckosice said:

Kocian, Ledecky, Oleksiak, Mikulak ...and I surely miss some others..during all those last days I see so many slovaks names winning medals for USA and Canada :d cool..I assume not all has (still) some ties with CZE, SVK, but really interesting to see it.

Kocian is much more of an Armenian name :p

Armenian names end with "an" in 99% cases

#banbestmen

12 minutes ago, dcro said:

Kocian is much more of an Armenian name :p

Armenian names end with "an" in 99% cases

trust me Kocian is 100% slovak name ;) the most famous is probably former NT coach https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ján_Kocian

and btw I forgot another medalist Matt Kuchar in golf for USA :lol:  Kuchar is a slovak word and it means "cook"

1 minute ago, hckosice said:

trust me Kocian is 100% slovak name ;) the most famous is probably former NT coach https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ján_Kocian

and btw I forgot another medalist Matt Kuchar in golf for USA :lol:  Kuchar is a slovak word and it means "cook"

It appears there is exception to that Armenian rule. :p

Anwyay, Kuchar is also cook in Croatian, well if you remove "c" :d

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Straight off the internet

Kocian Name Meaning
Czech and Slovak (Kocián) and Hungarian (Kócián): from a personal name, from Latin Cassianus, a derivative of the old Roman family name Cassius. Altered form of Slovenian and Croatian Kocjan or Kocijan, vernacular forms of the personal name Kancijan, Latin Cantianus. Saint Cantianus was a martyr under the Roman emperor Diocletian. He died together with his brother and sister in S. Canzian d’Isonzo (Slovenian Škocjan) in Friuli, in northeastern Italy. He was one of the most popular Catholic saints in Slovenia and Croatia in the Middle Ages and many places bear his name (Škocjan ‘Saint Kocjan’). The American surname Kocian may also be a reduced form of the Slovenian patronymics Kocjancic or Kocijancic.

Again we have people trying to do impossible vaults in final.

It's really a flaw in rules, you can get huge points for landing on your butt. I remember girls from :DOM and :EGY who were also doing that 7.00 vault unsuccessfuly, but nevertheless they still qualified for Olympic final and won Mediterranean Games, respectively...

#banbestmen