website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2016 Totallympics Predicted Medal Table

il y a 13 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

Although something like a system with stars is usually more "known" to people, so I used that as example as I think it's easier to understand for most people. I was planning on using that to create an Excel with percentages like you said and then coming up with a total result that shows both the total number of gold medals for every country and the total number of medals :)

I get it that stars are more user-friendly. But how do you plan to translate them into percentage when the number of stars used will varie a lot between user and events ? *

IMO, you could ask people to 'spend' a certain number of stars for each event (say 30 - or 60 if you want 5% precision ). Then, you will have the same scale used all across the boaerd.

* Edit: a rule of three won't do it as a five stars won't weight the same thing for someone who will have distributed 15 stars and one who will have distriputed 30 star.

Edited by De_Gambassi

14 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

I get it that stars are more user-friendly. But how do you plan to translate them into percentage when the number of stars used will varie a lot between user and events ? *

IMO, you could ask people to 'spend' a certain number of stars for each event (say 30 - or 60 if you want 5% precision ). Then, you will have the same scale used all across the boaerd.

* Edit: a rule of three won't do it as a five stars won't weight the same thing for someone who will have distributed 15 stars and one who will have distriputed 30 star.

My main thought about that was showing the percentages I came up with to check if users agreed :p 

If a majority of people wants to use percentages or anything, that's all fine by me, as long as we have as many people as possible helping out in the sports they know about :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2016 at 17:12, hckosice said:

Canoe Slalom -

Men's K1

* * * * France (Sebastien Combot), Czech Republic (Jiri Prskavec)

* * * Germany (Hannes Aigner), Slovenia (Peter Kauzer)

* * Great Britain (Joe Clarke), Slovakia (Jakub Grigar)

* Australia (Lucien Delfour), Russia (Pavel Eigel), USA (Michal Smolen)

Men's C1

* * * * Slovakia (Matej Benus), Germany (Sideris Tasiadis)

* * * Slovenia (Benjamin Savsek), Great Britain (David Florence)

* * Japan (Takuya Haneda), France (Denis Gargaud-Chanut)

* Russia (Aleksander Lipatov), USA (Casey Eichfeld), Canada (Cameron Smedley)

Men's C2

* * * * France (Klauss/Peche), Czech Republic (Kaspar/Sindler)

* * * Germany (Anton/Benzien), Slovenia (Taljat/Bozic)

* * Slovakia (Skantar/Skantar), Poland (Szczepanski/Pochwala)

* Great Britain (Florence/Hounslow), Russia (Kuznetsov/Larionov)

Women's K1

* * * * * Australia (Jessica Fox)

* * * * Spain (Maialen Chourraut), Czech Republic (Katerina Kudejova)

* * * Slovenia (Eva Tercelj), Brazil (Ana Satila)

* * Slovakia (Jana Dukatova), Germany (Melanie Pfeifer), Poland (Natalia Pacierpnik)

* France (Maria Zelia-Lafont), Great Britain (Fiona Pennie), Russia (Marta Kharitonova)

I would change chance in c2 for cze and svk. I think Skantars are have higher medal chance than Kaspar/Sindler.

23 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Clicks on the link> goes to men's "soccer"> finds odds for USA, Qatar and China> Closes browser tab

:lol:

Which says nothing about all the other sports obviously, but indeed it's funny that they have a mistake in one sport :p  (just like every bookmaker has mistakes like non-participants in one sport or another :d )

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

32 minutes ago, stepansevs said:

I would change chance in c2 for cze and svk. I think Skantars are have higher medal chance than Kaspar/Sindler.

Past two years for sure I would have changed it too and counting only 2014, I would have picked the Škantárs for gold without doubts, but unfortunately this year they aren´t in good shape at all. Don´ know why, but since they officialized their Rio berth, their shape is quickly dropping down..let´s hope they will still somehow manage to reach at least the final, otherwise it will be a terrible flop.

In other hand Kašpár/Šindler showed that they are in good shape, maybe last 2-3 races in final weren´t as succesfull, but we must count with them, and for me they are definitely a medal contenders.

hace 1 minuto, heywoodu said:

:lol:

Which says nothing about all the other sports obviously, but indeed it's funny that they have a mistake in one sport :p  (just like every bookmaker has mistakes like non-participants in one sport or another :d )

I know, it's just a joke. I checked a few others, unsurprisingly to see some overstimation of aussie and other anglophone countries chances.

Just now, LDOG said:

I know, it's just a joke. I checked a few others, unsurprisingly to see some overstimation of aussie and other anglophone countries chances.

I know :p 

But indeed, bookmakers often overestimate the odds of athletes from their biggest markets. For example Unibet often overestimates Dutch athletes because it's by far the biggest bookmakers in the Netherlands, so no matter if an odd is 10 or 20, Dutch people will bet on it anyway :p 

Same for Nordicbet that often used to overestimate Scandinavians, or indeed Australian bookmakers overestimating Australians.