website statistics

Which Sports have International Competitions more Important than Olympic Games?

Rugby sevens is a bit different. Before I agree it was interchangeable, but now the game has become its own sport. We've seen multiple rugby players try-out for the sevens team and fail due to lack of fitness. It has become a different game with its own strategy. It would be like saying the World Cup for futsal or beach soccer isn't the top prize for those sports because we have the World Cup for football.

I dont know if we can judge rugby yet because its a new sport.  We see the hesitation in golf.  Plus i think they should've put more or different events to make it closer to reyder cup rather then a straight 4 day competition that we just saw with the us open or any other competition every weekend.   Tennis tournament is also something everyone can see any day of the year therefore doesn't provide too much intrigue

football and tennis.

why tennis? I will use Novak as example. Even if he win gold medal at OG, in future more imporant will be his GS titles at all GS tournemants. GS titles are most important for all good tennis players.

Edited by dareza

hace 4 horas, JoshMartini007 said:

Rugby sevens is a bit different. Before I agree it was interchangeable, but now the game has become its own sport. We've seen multiple rugby players try-out for the sevens team and fail due to lack of fitness. It has become a different game with its own strategy. It would be like saying the World Cup for futsal or beach soccer isn't the top prize for those sports because we have the World Cup for football.

But futsal or beach players would never make the association football team (or even play for a club). Rugby 7s and union instead have a lot of crossover. Bryan Habana for example will play the olympics, ask him if olympic gold would mean more than his world cup title.

1 hour ago, dareza said:

football and tennis.

why tennis? I will use Novak as example. Even if he win gold medal at OG, in future more imporant will be his GS titles at all GS tournemants. GS titles are most important for all good tennis players.

I remember asking british tennis fans if they consider murray's win in london in wimbeldon as same as winning actual wimbledon, the answer was no, was much more important to actually win wimbledon year later

Football

Golf and Tennis - Give it more time. I think an Olympic title in tennis has grown in kudos over the past 30 years and may grow to have equivalence in the mind of the top tennis players in the future. Certainly I'd take a bet that Federer and Djokovic would give up one of their GS titles for an OG singles title. Golf is only just about to return to the OG so it is no contest re the majors at the moment. Time may change it, as I think it is gradually in tennis, but it'll be a long time before we know. The signs aren't good however. Golfers, particularly the American ones, are massively pampered and reluctant travellers. In tennis the top tournaments take place in many different countries, while of golf's top eight tournaments (the 4 majors and 4 WGC events) six take place in the US. In the case of the WGC events this is because of the reluctance of the top American (and they are not alone) players to travel which doesn't bode well for their commitment to Olympic participation even without the zika virus.

Cycling - Road cycling probably, although for all other forms I would say the OG are the tops.

Boxing - Unless they dump the misguided introduction of professionals.

Rugby Sevens - In the purely sevens format definitely the OG, but across all forms of the game it is the RWC.

So football and golf unequivocally and some others with provisos.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
5 hours ago, George_D said:

Football, Tennis and Golf

Among others :p (like road cycling) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!