Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

vinipereira

Winter Olympic Games 2018 News

heywoodu    1,177
3 hours ago, hckosice said:

well, Eurosport is also a good option for the winter sports ;) 

That's different for every country/"commentary region" of course :p 

Luge is by far the worst here...as in, the commentator is simply literally unable to pronounce most of the names. He just can not pronounce them. Think of "Birgit Platzer" becoming "Bisse Passe" and Semen Pavlichenko morphing into "Seje Pavjovich" or something...it's like stabbing a knife in your ear, horrible. 

On the other hand, biathlon is quite alright (although I prefer German TV) with ex-biathlete Herbert Cool as our commentator. 

At least the good thing is that they will probably focus on a rather diverse range of sports in the winter, maybe a bit more than the Germans would and for sure more than the Dutch would. On Dutch NOS speed skating is one of the few sports that's being broadcast live (including super interesting special reports like "Sven Kramer has arrived at the stadium") and in biathlon Ole Einar Bjoerndalen is the only biathlete ever apparently :p 

In short: I'm glad Eurosport has the rights, I'm just sad I won't be able to watch the Winter Olympics on German TV where I watch most of my winter sports. 

Edited by heywoodu

dcro    1,017
16 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Luge is by far the worst here...as in, the commentator is simply literally unable to pronounce most of the names. He just can not pronounce them. Think of "Birgit Platzer" becoming "Bisse Passe" and Semen Pavlichenko morphing into "Seje Pavjovich" or something...it's like stabbing a knife in your ear, horrible. 

That reminds me of BBC equestrian commentators when they pronounce Eastern European names :lol: They have a good knowledge of sport and they are also funny, but oh dear, they have the worst pronunciation I've ever heard. :p

Quasit    59
21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That's different for every country/"commentary region" of course :p 

On the other hand, biathlon is quite alright (although I prefer German TV) with ex-biathlete Herbert Cool as our commentator. 

At least the good thing is that they will probably focus on a rather diverse range of sports in the winter, maybe a bit more than the Germans would and for sure more than the Dutch would. On Dutch NOS speed skating is one of the few sports that's being broadcast live (including super interesting special reports like "Sven Kramer has arrived at the stadium") and in biathlon Ole Einar Bjoerndalen is the only biathlete ever apparently :p 

In short: I'm glad Eurosport has the rights, I'm just sad I won't be able to watch the Winter Olympics on German TV where I watch most of my winter sports. 

Bisse Passe? How can that happen wen you consider there's the Dutch judoka Birgit Ente. Birgit shouldn't be an uncommon name. :d

heywoodu    1,177
Just now, Quasit said:

Bisse Passe? How can that happen wen you consider there's the Dutch judoka Birgit Ente. Birgit shouldn't be an uncommon name. :d

Well it was somewhat of an example, but not an unrealistic one. Obviously a Dutch commentator isn't going to pronounce every Croatian or Japanese name exactly correct and a Croatian or Japanese commentator isn't going to pronounce every Dutch name correct, that's logical :p 

But there's "pronouncing a name with the accent of your own language" and "coming up with something totally different" :d 

Luckily Felix Loch's name is short and magically he's able to pronounce it, but don't even start thinking about the likes of Natalie Geisenberger, Summer Britcher, Eliza Cauce or, God forbid, Dominik Fischnaller. Oh, and Tobias Arlt becomes "Tobias Artol". Every. Single. Time. 

hckosice    845
14 minutes ago, dcro said:

That reminds me of BBC equestrian commentators when they pronounce Eastern European names :lol: They have a good knowledge of sport and they are also funny, but oh dear, they have the worst pronunciation I've ever heard. :p

oh man that remember me of this total disaster :bowdown:

Quasit    59
8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well it was somewhat of an example, but not an unrealistic one. Obviously a Dutch commentator isn't going to pronounce every Croatian or Japanese name exactly correct and a Croatian or Japanese commentator isn't going to pronounce every Dutch name correct, that's logical :p 

But there's "pronouncing a name with the accent of your own language" and "coming up with something totally different" :d 

Luckily Felix Loch's name is short and magically he's able to pronounce it, but don't even start thinking about the likes of Natalie Geisenberger, Summer Britcher, Eliza Cauce or, God forbid, Dominik Fischnaller. Oh, and Tobias Arlt becomes "Tobias Artol". Every. Single. Time. 

Imagine there were Thais competing. :d

hckosice    845
59 minutes ago, phelps said:

this is the lates version of the official schedule for Pyeongchang 2018...

some details are still to be fixed, but I think this is pretty close to the final release...

http://www.olympia.at/download/files/{5D5317BA-F710-4591-AAB5-2B8DB6E22B4D}/PyeongChang_2018_-_Olympic_Competition_Schedule_Version_7_October_2016.pdf

Interesting that womens alpine skiing program will start with Giant slalom and slalom. womens slalom already on first wednesday is quite unusual. Also surprised to see so many things in the opening ceremony day, and figure skating in morning is also very unusual.

Many events (Alpine skiing, curling, snowboarding, figure skating) will start very early at 01:00, 02:00 our time.

at least the hockey times are better, except the matches scheduled at 12:00 local time so 03:00 AM here ...but we are speaking about olympics and especially the winter olympics, so I´ll watch even if I´ll not sleep anything :d

dcro    1,017

"Spectacle" called mass start will be the last speed skating competition. :lol: Talk about an anticlimactic finish. :p

Edited by dcro

heywoodu    1,177
1 hour ago, hckosice said:

Many events (Alpine skiing, curling, snowboarding, figure skating) will start very early at 01:00, 02:00 our time.

at least the hockey times are better, except the matches scheduled at 12:00 local time so 03:00 AM here ...but we are speaking about olympics and especially the winter olympics, so I´ll watch even if I´ll not sleep anything :d

None of us, including you, cares about those early times, because we'll all wake up around 00:00-01:00 CET every Olympic day and go to sleep like 17:00 :p