website statistics

Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games 2018 News

11 godzin temu, heywoodu napisał:

Gracenote has published their first 2018 Virtual Medal Table. Usually the main reaction is that everyone of every single country disagrees and think they will win less medals than predicted, so, let's see everyone's reactions :p

http://sportsdemo1.gracenote.com/documentation/vmt

3 medals for Poland, one of each colour, all in ski jumping, I take it :d I hope that we will have at least one more medal in either of cross-country skiing, biathlon and speed skating. 

c'mon, man!

Ok...Italy aren't exactly in their best historical moment for what concerns Winter Sports...

but only 2 medals??? really???

let's be serious...there's a small chance we won't get a gold like 4 years ago, but no way we'll fly home with just 2 top 3 places...

I can't even imagine we won't win a single medal in women's alpine skiing nor in snowboard...

not to talk about biathlon or skating (all disciplines included)...

to be realistic, we reasonably expect at least 10 medals (the problem is just how many of those will be Gold? and that's a big problem)...

42 minutes ago, phelps said:

c'mon, man!

Ok...Italy aren't exactly in their best historical moment for what concerns Winter Sports...

but only 2 medals??? really???

let's be serious...there's a small chance we won't get a gold like 4 years ago, but no way we'll fly home with just 2 top 3 places...

I can't even imagine we won't win a single medal in women's alpine skiing nor in snowboard...

not to talk about biathlon or skating (all disciplines included)...

to be realistic, we reasonably expect at least 10 medals (the problem is just how many of those will be Gold? and that's a big problem)...

Well, are you drunk? :p My english isn't good, maybe we can speak better on the national theared but really you expect 10 medals or more? Ok, 2 medals are ridiculus.. but i expect 6-7 medals whit 1 gold, maybe from alpine skiing or Moioli.. it will be an hard Olympics for our colours..

31 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Well, are you drunk? :p My english isn't good, maybe we can speak better on the national theared but really you expect 10 medals or more? Ok, 2 medals are ridiculus.. but i expect 6-7 medals whit 1 gold, maybe from alpine skiing or Moioli.. it will be an hard Olympics for our colours..

no, not at all...

just a short list...

Alpine Skiing

1 medal between Women's Downhill and Women's Super-G (mainly by Goggia, but she's not the only hope we have)

1 medal (if not 2) in Women's Giant Slalom (we have 4 real medal threats there)

1 medal among all the men's events (Fill, Innerhofer, Paris in the speed disciplines and Gross, Moelgg in Slalom) and/or the team event

Cross-Country Skiing

1 medal (probably our best chance for Gold) from Pellegrino/Noeckler in the Men's Team Sprint

Biathlon

at least 2 medals (we are very competitive in all the women's events and in the mixed relay...and we can't count Hofer out in the Pursuit and/or Mass start events)

Snowboard

1 medal in Women's Snowboardcross (Moioli above all, probably our second best chance to win Gold)

1 medal between Men's Snowboardcross (our team is second to none, in my opinion) and/or the PGS events (especially the guys, all of them)

Short Track

1 medal in the Women's 500m (mainly Fontana, but also Valcepina has chances)

Speedskating

1 medal between Men's and Women's Mass Start (Giovannini, Francolini, Tumulero and Lollobrigida are all capable of that...especially if the men's Dutch team will mess it up because of their internal rivalries) and/or Men's Team Pursuit

Figure Skating

Carolina Kostner (and no...once again, I'm not drunk...with some of the Russians already out of the Games, she's still the 3rd best in the world right now behind Medvedeva and Yu-Na Kim -if she does show up in Pyeongchang)...but this is just a lottery because of the nature of the sport and because of corruption between judges)

as you see, we're already at 10 (if not 11 or 12) and I've been very realistic, without any Pindaric flight (and I could add even K-Fischnaller in the Men's Singles in Luge, but this would be a very optimistic rather than realistic preview)...

and if you want to be particularly optimistic, in Biathlon and Alpine Skiing we could win even more medals than what I wrote (but this would need some unbelievable luck on that given fortnight)...;)

Edited by phelps

3 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, not at all...

just a short list...

Alpine Skiing

1 medal between Women's Downhill and Women's Super-G (mainly by Goggia, but she's not the only hope we have)

1 medal among all the men's events (Fill, Innerhofer, Paris in the speed disciplines and Gross, Moelgg in Slalom) and/or the team event

Cross-Country Skiing

1 medal (probably our best chance for Gold) from Pellegrino/Noeckler in the Men's Team Sprint

Biathlon

at least 2 medals (we are very competitive in all the women's events and in the mixed relay...and we can't count Hofer out in the Pursuit and/or Mass start events)

Snowboard

1 medal in Women's Snowbordcross (Moioli above all, probably our second best chance to win Gold)

1 medal between Men's Snowboardcross (our team is second to none, in my opinion) and/or the PGS events (especially the guys, all of them)

Short Track

Speedskating

1 medal between Men's and Women's Mass Start (Giovannini, Francolini, Tumulero and Lollobrigida are all capable of that...especially if the men's Dutch team will mess it up because of their internal rivalries) and/or Men's Team Pursuit

Figure Skating

Carolina Kostner (and no...once again, I'm not drunk...with some of the Russians already out of the Games, she's still the 3rd best in the world right now behind Medvedeva and Yu-Na Kim...but this is just a lottery because of the nature of the sport and because of corruption between judges)

as you see, we're already at 10 (if not 11 or 12) and I've been very realistic, without any Pindaric flight (and I could add even K-Fischnaller in the Men's Singles in Luge, but this would be a very optimistic rather than realistic preview)...

and if you want to be particularly optimistic, in Biathlon and Alpine Skiing we could win even more medals than what I wrote (but this would need some unbelievable luck on that given fortnight)...;)

I'm ready to sign whit the blood for this results... I think that  is almost impossible for us win a medal in the team event in alpine skiing, we haven't a good 2nd woman.. for have all this good results we need a lot of luck.

Btw, at 99% they'll never kick Russia in alpine skiing so it will be very hard see Kostner on the podium

58 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, not at all...

just a short list...

Alpine Skiing

Cross-Country Skiing

Biathlon

Snowboard

1 medal in Women's Snowboardcross (Moioli above all, probably our second best chance to win Gold)

Short Track

Speedskating

Figure Skating

Carolina Kostner (and no...once again, I'm not drunk...with some of the Russians already out of the Games, she's still the 3rd best in the world right now behind Medvedeva and Yu-Na Kim -if she does show up in Pyeongchang)...but this is just a lottery because of the nature of the sport and because of corruption between judges)

I think 2-6 is realistic for Italy. Your predictions are really optimistic. 

10 hours ago, phelps said:

no, not at all...

just a short list...

Alpine Skiing

Cross-Country Skiing

Biathlon

Snowboard

Short Track

Speedskating

Figure Skating

But now you are counting every potential medal chance is an already counted medal. It's not like all of them have 100% or even close to 100% chance to actually happen (for example biathlon, I'd say 0 medals is much more likely than 2 medals).

Don't forget the way Gracenote makes these medal tables: if country A has the 4th-best athlete in 100 events, that will result in 100 4th places (ig no medals) in their prediction, even though with 100 4th-best athletes it'd be pretty likely to get several medals. This is the main problem when creating a medal table by giving one specific team or athlete the gold, silver and bronze and discarding everyone who's not in the top-3 of the prediction.

For France 1 gold medal is definitely not impossible, but neither is 6 gold medals. Same sort of thing goes for Italy: 2 medals is not unrealistic, but neither is 10, since basically nobody is one dominant favourite, but there's a lot of outsiders.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

I'm ready to sign whit the blood for this results... I think that  is almost impossible for us win a medal in the team event in alpine skiing, we haven't a good 2nd woman.. for have all this good results we need a lot of luck.

Btw, at 99% they'll never kick Russia in alpine skiing so it will be very hard see Kostner on the podium

Russia being in alpine skiing will make Kostner be further away from the figure skating podium? How? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!