website statistics

Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games 2018 News

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

The most stupid thing is that NHL can apparently (?) sanction players who go to the Olympics...that should be the job of their teams (if anyone), not the league...

Absolutely. But once again, you can not be surprised by their arrogant attitude. As I said many times you can not speak with Bettman and his staff, arrogant peoples who think that they own the world

This whole NHL thing is a real bummer, 2 past games for me USA hockey was a highlight of the games, the incredible final in vancouver , or the match vs russia in sochi. But with second rate players i will be interested in that probably as much curling..... that sucks, but i guess at least it will allow more time for all the other sports..... hopefully something will change, but not likely.

I may be overthiniing here, but with the NHLers gone, one of the biggest adding value of the winter olympics is gone as well.

Keeping that in mind and with the many criticizes that plague the Winter Olympics (constant overbudget, bad press, less than stelar locations, etc.)I could see a future where FIS (and IBU) see some kind of winter skiing games - to be held every two years - as a better propostion than the Winter Olympics as they stand.

Not yet, but maybe one day at some point.

30 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

I may be overthiniing here, but with the NHLers gone, one of the biggest adding value of the winter olympics is gone as well.

Keeping that in mind and with the many criticizes that plague the Winter Olympics (constant overbudget, bad press, less than stelar locations, etc.)I could see a future where FIS (and IBU) see some kind of winter skiing games - to be held every two years - as a better propostion than the Winter Olympics as they stand.

Not yet, but maybe one day at some point.

Every now and then there's talk about moving some of the indoor sports from the summer games to the winter games. Sports like handball already have their world champs in the winter and track cycling is held at the end of winter.

6 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Every now and then there's talk about moving some of the indoor sports from the summer games to the winter games. Sports like handball already have their world champs in the winter and track cycling is held at the end of winter.

And since both sports are played on neither ice nor snow, these proposals are nonsense. :d

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

il y a 26 minutes, JoshMartini007 a déclaré:

Yes, I know. and we could also see the 'spring games' happening at some point (an idea from the 60's IIRC). But that's not my point. I think at some point there might be a case for FIS (and IBU) to walk away from the Olympics and have its own games whithout the skating and sliding sports (which are the the ones that commend most of the infrastructure costs and thus the shitty locations and the bad press).

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1054788/ioc-raise-concerns-after-pyeongchang-2018-reveal-less-than-23-per-cent-of-tickets-sold

Citation

Only 22.7 per cent of tickets available for next year's Winter Olympic Games have been purchased so far with little more than five months to go until the Opening Ceremony, organisers revealed here today.

This figure is thought to mark the lowest in recent Winter Olympic history at this stage of preparations.

Only 4.85 per cent have been sold in South Korea, even though it was forecast that the host nation will account for 70 per cent of the overall total.

The remainder sold so far have been bought by Authorised Ticket Resellers (ATRs) for international purchase - so are not necessarily yet in the hands of clients planning to attend the Games. 

insidethegames has been told that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) have raised significant concerns about ticket sales during the Coordination Commission inspection visit which closes here today.

They are worried that South Korean organisers are not using the right strategies in order to sell tickets and, despite repeated promises, have not done enough to improve their promotional efforts.

A total of 1.18 million tickets are available for the Olympics.

It is hoped that 90 per cent of this total, so 1.07 million, will be sold beforehand.

Only 52,000 have been sold in South Korea so far, of which 62 per cent were supposedly purchased in the Seoul Metropolitan Area and around 83 per cent by people aged between 20 and 40. 

Organisers claim to remain confident that the start of the second phase of online sales on Tuesday (September 5) will help raise interest in the host nation.