website statistics

Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games 2018 News

As expected, North Korea is most likely going to be present in Pyeongchang :)

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/09/asia/north-korea-talks-intl/index.html

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Olympic Winter Games 2018 teams’ curling schedule published

The PyeongChang 2018 Organising Committee Olympic Winter Games recently published the women’s and men’s curling teams' schedule for the upcoming Games in February 2018.

The women’s and men’s teams’ competition will run from Wednesday 14 February until Sunday 25 February and comes after the newly introduced mixed doubles tournament, which begins on 8 February

Ten teams will compete in the women’s and men’s events. They are:

Women: Canada, China, Denmark, Great Britain, Japan, Korea, Olympic Athletes from Russia, Sweden, Switzerland and United States

Men: Canada, Denmark, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Korea, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and United States

The tournament format will be a round-robin – three draws per day – followed by a session of tie-breakers if required, then semi-finals and finals. The round-robin will be played between 14 and 21 February. The tie-breakers will follow at 09:05 on Thursday 22 February. Also, that day will be the men’s semi-finals at 20:04.

On Friday 23 February, the men’s bronze medal game is at 15:35 and the women’s semi-finals are at 20:04. Saturday 24 February sees the men’s gold medal game take place at 15:35, followed by the women’s bronze medal game at 20:04.

The Olympic curling concludes on Sunday 25 February at 09:05 with the women’s gold medal final. This is the first time the women’s final has come last at the Games, since its debut in Nagano, Japan, in 1998.

At the end of the round-robin the teams will be ranked one to ten, with the first ranked team playing the fourth ranked team (1v4) and the second ranked team playing the third ranked team in the semi-finals (2v3).

The men’s defending champion nation, Canada will open their round-robin campaign in the first session of play on Wednesday 14 February against Italy, who recently qualified out of the Olympic Qualification Event in Pilsen, Czech Republic.

Also, in that session, the hosts Korea will meet United States.

Canada’s women’s team – again the defending champion nation and the current world champions – open their campaign at 09:05 on Thursday 15 February against the hosts Korea.

Full Schedule:

http://www.worldcurling.org/owg2018/schedule

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

As expected, North Korea is most likely going to be present in Pyeongchang :)

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/09/asia/north-korea-talks-intl/index.html

Cool, looks like threatening everyone with nuclear weapon gives you free quotas. :p

I bet they'll be allowed to enter as many athletes at they want. :d

#banbestmen

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1059974/exclusive-talks-over-possible-north-and-south-korean-womens-ice-hockey-team-at-pyeongchang-2018

Though I'm very positive towards letting North Korea participate even though they haven't met the original deadline for figure skating, I'm kind of sceptical towards this idea. Though I love the symbolic thing in marching in together, they would have to compete together in everything, to make sense when it comes to doing so in ice hockey.

5 minutes ago, Agger said:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1059974/exclusive-talks-over-possible-north-and-south-korean-womens-ice-hockey-team-at-pyeongchang-2018

Though I'm very positive towards letting North Korea participate even though they haven't met the original deadline for figure skating, I'm kind of sceptical towards this idea. Though I love the symbolic thing in marching in together, they would have to compete together in everything, to make sense when it comes to doing so in ice hockey.

Plus, how are you gonna get used to completely new players in basically a matter of days? And the thought of a mixed bobsled team is even worse! South Korea especially in the men's bobsled has made some serious steps and those athletes deserve to be there and potentially even fight for medals, it'd be rather unfair to all of a sudden take a South Korean out and put a North Korean in behind a driver he/she has never worked with before. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I'd only be in favour of this if it doesn't cost anyone (especially a South Korean) a place at the Olympics. 

10 hours ago, hckosice said:

as only South Korea they will very likely lost all matches in the womens tournament, but if they add also some N. Korean players they will be just destroyed each game

North Korea women aren't that much worse than South Korea in women's ice hockey. Their best players are likely better than South Korea's worst players at the very least.

I'm still against the idea. Plus a Saudi Arabia and create quotas and give North Korea a (short track) speed skater or two if they really want to. Maybe an alpine/cross-country skiier if they have anyone.

North and South will walk together under the flag of a unified Korea at the opening ceremony, this is wonderful news :cheer: