website statistics

Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games 2018 News

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

But now you are counting every potential medal chance is an already counted medal. It's not like all of them have 100% or even close to 100% chance to actually happen (for example biathlon, I'd say 0 medals is much more likely than 2 medals).

Don't forget the way Gracenote makes these medal tables: if country A has the 4th-best athlete in 100 events, that will result in 100 4th places (ig no medals) in their prediction, even though with 100 4th-best athletes it'd be pretty likely to get several medals. This is the main problem when creating a medal table by giving one specific team or athlete the gold, silver and bronze and discarding everyone who's not in the top-3 of the prediction.

For France 1 gold medal is definitely not impossible, but neither is 6 gold medals. Same sort of thing goes for Italy: 2 medals is not unrealistic, but neither is 10, since basically nobody is one dominant favourite, but there's a lot of outsiders.

no way...

we have a lot more potential medal chances (for instance, I'd should count at least 3 snowboard medal chances, at least 8 alpine skiing medal chances, 5/6 biathlon medal chances and so on)...

for what concerns biathlon, moreover, 0 medals is totally unrealistic...we always got at least 1 or 2 medals (not counting the many 4th place-finish for superstition) from Sochi on...and we have a young and improving team in the women's division...

I don't see how and why we shouldn't get at least the same results of the last 3/4 seasons (if not improve those numbers, which would be logic with a team like ours)...

the last sentence in bold is the real question mark of our Games...we don't have so many "reliable favourite" for the races where we are supposed to get some good results (I'm saying "reliable" because if Goggia does finish the race, she's the clear favorite in good 3 different events...but talking about that is just beyond this thread's aim)...

40 minutes ago, phelps said:

no way...

we have a lot more potential medal chances (for instance, I'd should count at least 3 snowboard medal chances, at least 8 alpine skiing medal chances, 5/6 biathlon medal chances and so on)...

for what concerns biathlon, moreover, 0 medals is totally unrealistic...we always got at least 1 or 2 medals (not counting the many 4th place-finish for superstition) from Sochi on...and we have a young and improving team in the women's division...

I don't see how and why we shouldn't get at least the same results of the last 3/4 seasons (if not improve those numbers, which would be logic with a team like ours)...

the last sentence in bold is the real question mark of our Games...we don't have so many "reliable favourite" for the races where we are supposed to get some good results (I'm saying "reliable" because if Goggia does finish the race, she's the clear favorite in good 3 different events...but talking about that is just beyond this thread's aim)...

Not even Goggia when finishing is the clear favourite, although I do agree that if she keeps her DNF'ing under control, she could very well go home with 3 or maybe even 4 medals (then again, 0 medals is just as possible for her when having 3-4 races with a big mistake in each). As for biathlon, in the individual races Dahlmeier is the favourite basically everywhere and you've got Makarainen and Dorin Habert (and if fit, Koukalova) above the first Italian. Not saying Italy winning medals is unrealistic, obviously it's possible, but if a bookmaker would give 50/50 odds for "Italy to win over/under 1.5 medals in biathlon", I'd definitely go for under.

But again, it's much more realistic to look at the chances as a percentage and then add everything together. It's not realistic to expect an Italian medal in men's biathlon for example, but it's wrong to count them out too because they do probably have some 10% chance or something. 

Anyway, I wouldn't expect that many medals, because most likely that's going to end up in disappointment, although I wish the Italians all the best :p (especially the Südtiroler alpine skiers, somehow I like them)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

http://tass.com/sport/974231 :cry::cry::cry:

this will be the end of the end for us, without NHL players our level is significantly lower but if we will have to send a team also without the KHL players from Slovan Bratislava and other KHL clubs we better already announce our withdrawal from the tournament...

Which countries would benefit from the KHL not sending their players? I mean, I thought in general the NHL being assholes was bad for Canada and USA mostly, but surely the KHL being assholes as well is bad for Russia, Slovakia and others, meaning it'd be good for other nations? Without NHL and KHL, would the 2nd-level players in North America suddenly be the best again? Or players from Scandinavian countries or something? 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Which countries would benefit from the KHL not sending their players? I mean, I thought in general the NHL being assholes was bad for Canada and USA mostly, but surely the KHL being assholes as well is bad for Russia, Slovakia and others, meaning it'd be good for other nations? Without NHL and KHL, would the 2nd-level players in North America suddenly be the best again? Or players from Scandinavian countries or something? 

Sweden and Canada would have the major benefit from such a choice...I believe it's an already written sentence, they will be in the Gold Medal Match at 99.99%...

Finland and Czech Rep. wil still be good, but probably the difference between them and the top 2 would increase by some margin...

then it will also open the door for some surprising teams, I'm thinking mainly to Switzerland and Germany, who could benefit from the strenght and depth of their main domestic leagues...

in general, it's a nightmare for all the Hockey fans, since the level of play would be very, very low (much lower than it's right now without those NHL idiots)...

however, I think this is just some kind of an effort to try and make pressure on the IOC not to ban Russia as a whole Nation...

I guess in the end Russia will be in Pyeongchang (if the Games are held there in February 2018...this is the major issue right now, in my opinion) with their full team and flag (and without those 25/30 banned athletes, or whatever will result from the next IOC/WADA auditions), ready to take advantage of the best chance to win the Hockey Olympic Gold they have had in the last 26 years (since the so-called CIS won in Albertville 1992)...

because they can say what they want, but from mr.Putin to the last hockey fan in Russia, they're really mad about the drought in Olympic success in Hockey (which is still their National pastime and most beloved sport)...

42 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

So they'll get wildcards I suppose?