website statistics

Football at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

vlad

54 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Congrats, but is that really important? For me a medal would be much more important than a win against Germany ... :mumble:

Yeah, but it's not like the other draw was much easier (unless China beats Sweden).  Canada also had one player out due to penalties and Sinclair wasn't playing at the end.  I think Germany just out-sucked them.  

vor 13 Stunden schrieb orangeman:

Yeah, but it's not like the other draw was much easier (unless China beats Sweden).  Canada also had one player out due to penalties and Sinclair wasn't playing at the end.  I think Germany just out-sucked them.  

For me France and USA are the 2 best teams and Sweden/China arent even in top 5, so our path to the semifinal should be clearly easier. I am not saying that Canada doesnt have a chance, considering how many canadian athletes are overperforming here and also how much Canada always seems to overperform in womens football at the olympics, but for me they are still clearly the underdog in a match against USA/France.

German coach for example didnt use Däbritz who normally always plays and the substitutions in the second half were also very weird. I think we never wanted to win the match, but of course we aimed for a draw. This doesnt mean that the german team is better than the canadian team at the moment, but there was clearly no reason for Germany to win this match.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

11 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

For me France and USA are the 2 best teams and Sweden/China arent even in top 5, so our path to the semifinal should be clearly easier. I am not saying that Canada doesnt have a chance, considering how many canadian athletes are overperforming here and also how much Canada always seems to overperform in womens football at the olympics, but for me they are still clearly the underdog in a match against USA/France.

German coach for example didnt use Däbritz who normally always plays and the substitutions in the second half were also very weird. I think we never wanted to win the match, but of course we aimed for a draw. This doesnt mean that the german team is better than the canadian team at the moment, but there was clearly no reason for Germany to win this match.

Yeah, it's even more ridiculous now that we see Germany is playing China.  The organizers didn't do a very good job with the seeds.  Oh well, Canada would have had to beat USA/France/Brazil for a medal anyway.  They just have to do it earlier now.