website statistics

Football at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

vlad

25 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

This, btw, is why I think male football should be OUT of the Olympics.

I love football, but either you send the best or it's not real olympic competition.

Right now, olympic male football is nothing more than a big joke.

Football is in an interesting position. It arguably needs the Olympics the least, the sport is already played everywhere and the World Cup is a billion dollar enterprise. Even sports like golf or tennis would like to be part of the Olympics because it spreads the sport (golf went from 100 affiliated nations to about 150 since it was introduced to the Olympics).

On the other side because football is so well known and played the Olympics needs (rather, really wants) the sport so it bends to the will of FIFA.

Edited by JoshMartini007

Agora, bestmen disse:

the same thing here ,  coaches of many european teams  refused to release many players :ALG

so this team is very weak for now , i don't know why FIFA did nothing against these coaches 

Well, I'm not 100% sure about this, but what they say here is that the Olympic competition is not an official FIFA Calendar competition, and because of that the teams don't have the obligation to release their players

FIFA can't do anything because they themselves refuse to put this competition in their calendar, thus clubs have no obligation to release the players.

This just about politics and FIFA not wanting anything to remotely rivalize with the World Cup (but of course, they milk the women's tournament all they can to gain popularity for it...)

well, we had the same problem too in 2000. there were a huge euphoria after SVK qualified for the first and last time in mens football as 1 of the 4 european berths. everyone celebrated the team with some interesting players, but the games were scheduled in september, and suddenly any club wanted to release players, because our "super mega big clubs" wanted them to play in the european clubs qualifications...so in Sydney we played with, not sure right now, but only something 5-6 players from the squad of the EURO U21 2000...ofc the team finished last in the group after 2 defeats with Brazil (1 goal against us was scored by Ronaldinho btw) and Japan...but with one very surprising win over South Africa :d

it´s still incredible that 16 years passed and this sport has still the same problems at olympics

Am 12.7.2016 um 02:53 schrieb George_D:

I dont also see Germany's and Portugal's squads yet

German team was supposed to be announced today, but today they announced that it will be postponed until tomorrow ...

Obviously most clubs dont want to send their players to the olympics, in the end we will have a reserve team at best.

All players who change their club this year wont be nominated and at most 2 players from the same club will be nominated.

The following players are officially out of the olympics:

Antonio Rüdiger, Julian Draxler, Jonathan Tah, Joshua Kimmich, Leroy Sane, Julian Weigl, Timo Werner, Emre Can

I hope that at least the following players will be available:

Horn, Karius

Ginter, Süle, Weiser, Gerhardt, Stark, Toljan, Klostermann

Meyer, Geis/Goretzka, Dahoud, Arnold, Brandt

Selke

The other 3 spots should go to players born in 1992 or earlier, i think Lars Bender already said that he wants to play the olympics. We could clearly use players like Gündogan, Reus, Volland, Bellarabi, Stindl, Trapp, Kramer or Castro.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Brazil men's team has two swaps on their squad: Douglas Costa (Bayern Munchen confirmed he's injured) for Renato Augusto (Beijing Guoan-CHN, overage); and Fred (Shakhtar Donetsk didn't release him) for Willian (from Grêmio-BRA), both midfielders.

:COL

Colombian teams announced. Most Europeans denied the players, only Teo's emotional blackmail worked on Sporting (he claimed his recently deceased grandma asked him to play for Colombia on her death bed)

MEN:

CONVOCADOS-HOMBRES.png

WOMEN

CONVOCADOS-MUJERES.png

9 horas atrás, carivan disse:

:COL

Colombian teams announced. Most Europeans denied the players, only Teo's emotional blackmail worked on Sporting (he claimed his recently deceased grandma asked him to play for Colombia on her death bed)

MEN:

CONVOCADOS-HOMBRES.png

WOMEN

CONVOCADOS-MUJERES.png

Actually, here on our TV they say Sporting is trying to get rid of Teo (I think he wants to leave the club) but can't find anyone who can pay for him what Sporting wants, so they're sending him to the Olympics as a showcase to the world hoping someone wants him :p

Edited by kungshamra71

Ahora, kungshamra71 said:

Actually, here on our TV they say Sporting is trying to get rid of Teo (I think he wants to leave the club) but can't find anyone who can pay for him what Sporting wants, so they're sending him to the Olympics as a showcase to the world hoping someone wants him :p

LOL. That makes more sense, although I got that story from a Sporting fan friend of mine.