website statistics

Fencing 2016 Discussion Thread

phelps

Iran won the Sabre World Cup in Dakar today !! even though I know some big countries like Russia DNP and some countries are in rebuilding phase after the Olympics but still it was quite an achievement for Iranian fencing ! first team medal at the world Cup and first ever gold overall .and they beat Korea for the first time ever ! :banana:

Fencing could be quite popular here if Abedini could score that damn 15th points at 14-14 against Hommer in semifinal. I still can see that moment in my nightmares lol  :p

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice weekend for Italy...

Today Alessio Foconi won the Men's Foil GP in Turin (ITA) beating Alexander Massialas (15-7 the score) in the Gold Medal bout and the Italian team won the men's Sabre Team World Cup in Gyor (HUN), beating all their strongest rivals (GER in qtrs, RUS in semis and KOR in the final bout)...

this make up for the girls disappointing performance from yesterday in the Women's Foil GP (Errigo and Volpi ended up only in 3rd place, both going down to the Americans Kiefer - the eventual winner - and Ross) and the Men's Individual event in Gyor (Montano was the best among our guys, ending up in 7th place, meanwhile Korea got the double with Oh Sanguk having the edge over teammate Gu Bon Gil)...

• 2 weeks later...

Russian success thanks to Yana Egorian (who defeated the Hungarian Anna Marton in the final bout with a score of 15-11) in the Women's Sabre Grand Prix event in Cancun...

decent (but not unforgettable) performance for the Italian team, with 2 girls in the top 8 (and many in the top 32), but none of them on the podium...

Foil queen Arianna Errigo this time got to second round, thanks to a victory over Anna-Elizabeth Stone (USA) in round #1...but then she went out (15-12 the final score) against Manon Brunet (FRA), who eventually got to the quarterfinal stage (where she lost to Marton)...

Today it's the boys' turn...