Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
phelps

Fencing 2016 Discussion Thread

phelps    444

The last quick update for today is about the Junior European Championships...

The first 4 Individual Gold medals have been awarded and France have been the main protagonists until now, winning 2 of those 4 titles, with Italy and Hungary getting 1 Gold medal each...

More details in the next couple of days...

Edited by phelps

phelps    444

and as promised, at the end of the European Juniors here we are with the final summary...

first of all, the key point of the individual competitions was the unexpected domination of the French team with 3 out of 6 Gold medals...

meanwhile in the Team events it was Russia to sweep half of the titles up for grabs...

Italy and Hungary confirmed themselves as the usual powerhouses with a couple of Gold medals each and Poland and Germany took the remaining top honors (one each)...

so, this is the list of the new Junior European Champions:

Men's Individual Epee: Gergely Siklosi, HUN
Women's Individual Epee: Nadine Stahlberg, GER
Men's Individual Foil: Maximilien Chastanet, FRA
Women's Individual Foil: Erica Cipressa, ITA
Men's Individual Sabre: Charles Colleau, FRA
Women's Individual Sabre: Manon Brunet, FRA
Men's Team Epee: Hungary
Women's Team Epee: Russia
Men's Team Foil: Russia
Women's Team Foil: Poland
Men's Team Sabre: Italy
Women's Team Sabre: Russia

and this is the final medal table for the Junior competitions:

• France 3-2-3
  • Russia 3-2-3
  • Italy 2-4-4
  • Hungary 2-0-1
  • Poland 1-1-3
  • Germany 1-1-2
  • Czech Republic 0-1-1
  • Israel 0-1-0
  • Ukraine 0-0-1

finally, this is the overall medal table (Cadets + Juniors):

• Russia 7-6-6
  • Italy 6-8-6
  • Hungary 5-1-2
  • France 3-3-6
  • Germany 1-2-4
  • Israel 1-2-0
  • Poland 1-1-5
  • Czech Republic 0-1-1
  • Romania 0-0-3
  • Austria 0-0-1
  • Turkey 0-0-1
  • Ukraine 0-0-1

OlympicsFan    227

Hungary has been extremely impressive, especially in mens epee. Siklosi only is their 3rd best athlete (according to world ranking), but he was the one to win gold. Their 3 best athletes are 1st, 3rd and 5th in junior world ranking, i dont see any reason why Hungary shouldnt dominate mens epee in the future. From a german perspective i was really disappointed by Ebert, she was completely out of shape, by now she actually should at least be top 50 in world ranking. The biggest surprise from a german perspective was mens team sabre. We managed to reach the final, although mens sabre is actually our 2nd worst event on junior level. I have been really impressed by Kindler, he is only 17 years old but he scored +4 against Ukraine/Italy in the quartefinal/final. The final of mens team sabre was fun to watch. It was interesting to see how small the italian guys were compared to the german guys and the italians had a very interesting "special attack", where they jumped up and down like crazy rabbits ... :d

Does this "style" have a special name? The german guys looked completely confused/clueless when their opponents started their special attack.

In mens/womens sabre we dont have any big talents (maybe except for Kindler). Our biggest talents are clearly Ebert (womens foil) and Stahlberg (womens epee). Italy is really blessed with tons of good talents, especially in womens foil and mens sabre. I think Russia isnt as good at junior level as they used to be. At the moment i would say that Hungary and France might be ahead of Russia, but Italy still is clearly the number one. In my opinion romania and ukraine have been pretty disappointing at junior level in the last couple of years.

Edited by OlympicsFan

thepharoah    248

silver medal for  Alaaeldin Abouelkassem in GP , finally a good performance from him after london silver :yes

phelps    444

and Gold medal for Richard Kruse (GBR)...

decent effort by Cassarà and Avola for Italy, very bad performance by the other guys...

among the Women, Errigo is back on top after all the troubles with injuries that partially compromised her results in the second half of last season and in the first half of this one...

on the other hand, another inconsistent outing for Elisa Di Francisca...the chance to have the all-Italian clash in the Olympic tournament before the Gold medal bout is always higher...:facepalm::wall:

phelps    444

Men's Foil Individual Olympic Qualifiers

Having already decided the 8 teams that will be in Rio, this weekend we were able to determine the next 7 individuals that will join them.

Yuki OTA (JPN) had qualified at the start of the day, and will be joined by Jun HEO (KOR) who kept distance from Young Ki SON (KOR).

Peter Joppich (GER) and Alexander Choupenitch (CZE), who basically have been unchallenged in the last months, are the European qualifiers.

Ayoub FERJANI (TUN) qualifies from the African zone, and realistically hasn't been challenged since the cruel injury to Roman DJITLI (ALG) at San Jose earlier this season.

No Pan-Am fencers (outside the USA of course) in the L64 meant that the zonal places also stay the same: Max VAN HAASTER (CAN) qualifies with Daniel GOMEZ (MEX).

There are 4 more places to be awarded, one from each zone at their qualification competition.

De_Gambassi    261
On 13/3/2016 at 8:47 AM, Benolympique said:

Fencing Women Foil individual

:FRA +2

:ITA +2

:RUS +2

:USA +2

:TUN +1

:KOR +2

:GER +1

:CHN +2

:HUN +2

:LIB +1

:EGY +1

:ALG+1

:POL +1

:CAN +1

:COL +1

Which makes 18/18 for France and Russia.Russia will have a full squad without a doubt. We may join them, but it'll be close. Before the last GP, Anstett is the last Top 14 qualifier, and Rousset the last european one. :fingers:

OlympicsFan    227

I really hope that GB will win a gold medal in mens foil in Rio. We will have a small team (as expected), but at least we wont have any tourists. :d

I expect 1 medal and i would be very happy with 2 medals. I am sure that we will have at least one team in Tokyo (our mens sabre team should qualify), but this could also be the only positive thing to say about our future in fencing. Joppich, Heidemann and Golubytskyi all will retire before Tokyo, so we have to hope that talents like Ebert or Stahlberg will take their place. I expect a lot from France and USA in Rio, i think those nations will each win 2-3 gold medals.

Edited by OlympicsFan

MHSN    244

After losing few times in quarterfinals (mostly 15-14) Abedini finally made it to the semifinal (and later to the final) in a Grand Prix (or World Cup) event and with this he made history to win Iran's first ever medal in this level of competition.

he also qualified himself and his teammate Pakdaman for Rio :d

phelps    444

Seoul's Events

Women's Sabre

Gold: Yana Egorian (RUS)

Silver: Ji Yeon Seo (KOR)

Bronze: Vassilik Vougiouka (GRE) & Sofya Velikaya (RUS)

Men's Sabre

Gold: Eli Dershwitz (USA)

Silver: Mojtaba Abedini (IRI)

Bronze: Diego Occhiuzzi (ITA) & Nikolay Kovalev (RUS)