website statistics

Modern Pentathlon at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

Vojthas

3 hours ago, Bearas said:

First medal for Oceania and it's gold for :AUS

Asadauskaitė still amazing - from -5 minutes to -1 minute. Horrible performance by Serapinaitė. She always was a good at combined, something happened to her.

Ieva was never that good in the combined. Sure, she did not even reach her standard today, but the combined is still her worst discipline.  Emilija is better at the combined than her sister.

I agree with many of you who say that this sport needs to change its rules regarding the horse riding segment. It's quite unfair as it is now, and today was no exception, with two of the best athletes in competition losing because of a draw.

As for Vega, I'm happy she got a good horse and that she improved her final placing in the combined event. Still her fencing needs to improve if she hopes to be a competitor for the podium.

Show jumping is not all about having good or bad horse. Sure, some horses could be troublemakers by nature, but most of the refusals happen because riders ask them to do jumps from impossible positions.

From what I've heard, these horses were trained by Brazilian military so you'd think that this is their mistake, together with the ones who selected the horses for competition, whoever they are, probably some UIPM staff. Surely they could have done a better job than this, this is an Olympic competition after all.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

9 hours ago, intoronto said:

My 3 reasons:

-They want a specific venue for Olympics (added costs for 2 medal events makes little to no sense)

-Horses - literally luck determines who wins. Its not fair

-Limited global following 

Specific venue? C'mon.. all sports need of specific venue, we can't remove a sport only becouse it cost too much.

For the following, in Tokyo we'll have surf and skateboard...

The horse problem isn't determines a lot, an athlete have 20 minuts for understand the horse's abilities.

9 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Specific venue? C'mon.. all sports need of specific venue, we can't remove a sport only becouse it cost too much.

For the following, in Tokyo we'll have surf and skateboard...

The horse problem isn't determines a lot, an athlete have 20 minuts for understand the horse's abilities.

This time athletes had random horses in warm-up and not the one they will have to perform in the arena. :wacko:

Well, Laura Asadauskaitė mentioned in an interview that she is still motivated to continue till Tokyo, she also mentioned that she was nervous, because as she was sitting on her horse, she felt him shaking from fear. She threw a little bit of shade at the people whom provided the horses, saying that it didn't seem that her horse had any competition experience in front of a crowd. She also mentioned that it's unfortunate that Lena Schoneborn lost the contention for the medal as well and being asked if she wants to start in Tokyo, she said "Of course, I want to. Such disappointments only encourage you to try harder, to not give up. There will be more victories in the future."

After reading this interview, I'm at least content that she is not ending her career, because she's one of my fave personalities in sports.