Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Danylove80

Golf at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

JoshMartini007    164
10 minutes ago, Agger said:

Though I do agree that zika seems like the easy way out, I do believe that some of them are actually worried. I believe that it's a matter of how they look at the tournament. Men's golf is already popular in many countries, meaning that they don't have as much to win with the olympic participation as women's golf.

What I mean is that it is a tournament that is easier to miss for the best men, who will more or less get the same attention during the majors, while the women will without doubt get more during the Olympics.

It's still not positive, but I do actually believe that zika is the reason for at least some players.

Disease is always something to worry about, there are always risks, not just from Zika, but other diseases such as yellow fever.

Also while the top nations may not say it, golf is far from worldwide, just look at the top 100. 45 are from the United States and 15 are from Great Britain (England/Wales/Scotland), there's a reason why we have to go to almost world ranking #350 just to fill out the roster. Golf at the Olympics wasn't about the already established nations it was about getting other nations into the sport.

Agger    386
15 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

So the top 3 Irish golfers withdrew..... lovely :facepalm:

If another one does so, you may risk ending up with only one player.

OlympicIRL    981
Just now, Agger said:

If another one does so, you may risk ending up with only one player.

That's true but I guess that wouldn't matter now anyway as I can't see any of the remaining golfers getting near the medals. To think this offered such promise not so long ago :(

Agger    386
2 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

That's true but I guess that wouldn't matter now anyway as I can't see any of the remaining golfers getting near the medals. To think this offered such promise not so long ago :(

Never underestimate Harrington! :cheer:

OlympicIRL    981
38 minutes ago, Agger said:

Never underestimate Harrington! :cheer:

That's the one positive, I love that Padraig now gets his chance and he has been saying all along that he would love to play at the Olympics. He was one of those who campaigned for its inclusion too so I am really happy that he will take his place in the Irish team :)

Agger    386
2 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

That's the one positive, I love that Padraig now gets his chance and he has been saying all along that he would love to play at the Olympics. He was one of those who campaigned for its inclusion too so I am really happy that he will take his place in the Irish team :)

That makes 2 of us! :clap:

Agger    386

It seems like South Africa is very worried by the zika. Lee-Anne Pace is the first female  golfer to say no.

DaniSRB    514

Camilo Villegas pulls out because of zika

carivan    72
hace 10 minutos, DaniSRB said:

Camilo Villegas pulls out because of zika

Not really. He's considering to pull out because he needs points and going to Rio means missing two PGA tournaments. He did mention zika saying that he knows the risks are minimal but it stills could affect a theoretical baby he and his wife are trying to look for but his PGA card is the main reason by far. 

Gianlu33    891
1 minute ago, carivan said:

Not really. He's considering to pull out because he needs points and going to Rio means missing two PGA tournaments. He did mention zika saying that he knows the risks are minimal but it stills could affect a theoretical baby he and his wife are trying to look for but his PGA card is the main reason by far. 

Economical reason.. The same of all other golf players that whitdraw

DaniSRB    514
2 minutes ago, carivan said:

oh, i see now NBC but correction on article's title :d