Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

dcro

Equestrian at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

heywoodu    1,109

Now that's what I call an excellent and very informative preview! :hatoff:

Yeah as for the team dressage, bronze is basically what I'm hoping for with Germany and Great Britain in front of us. Obviously it's always possible to excel and take something better home, but it'd be a very nice surprise. I didn't know about the troubles in the Dutch team though, that doesn't sound very hopeful..

dcro    965
26 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Now that's what I call an excellent and very informative preview! :hatoff:

Yeah as for the team dressage, bronze is basically what I'm hoping for with Germany and Great Britain in front of us. Obviously it's always possible to excel and take something better home, but it'd be a very nice surprise. I didn't know about the troubles in the Dutch team though, that doesn't sound very hopeful..

Netherlands was also an outsider at Europeans last year, but amazingly took the gold. :d But yeah, not looking too hopeful at the moment.

Btw. I just became the third Totallympics' medalist. :lol:

Edited by dcro

mrv86    204

@dcro maybe I've already ask you this, but what about Berna Pujals? Does she has a good possibility to go further that first round?

dcro    965
10 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

@dcro maybe I've already ask you this, but what about Berna Pujals? Does she has a good possibility to go further that first round?

Olympics have a special competition format as team medals will be decided during the first two stages of competition (both Grand Prix and Grand Prix Special). And that's different to Worlds and Europeans where only Grand Prix counts for team.

32 athletes will advance to Special. 4 athletes from each of top 6 teams + top 8 individuals. That actually makes things harder for individuals as all athletes from top 6 teams advance, no matter if their individual score was not high. Though, I don't think we will see many such riders advancing (1-2 at most). Pujals will be an outsider for qualification, and she will need to hit at least 70%-71% to have a chance. She got 69.920% last month in Mannheim. It's not impossible but she will need her best performance and some luck. I think it would be really cool if she makes it. :)

mrv86    204
1 hour ago, dcro said:

Olympics have a special competition format as team medals will be decided during the first two stages of competition (both Grand Prix and Grand Prix Special). And that's different to Worlds and Europeans where only Grand Prix counts for team.

32 athletes will advance to Special. 4 athletes from each of top 6 teams + top 8 individuals. That actually makes things harder for individuals as all athletes from top 6 teams advance, no matter if their individual score was not high. Though, I don't think we will see many such riders advancing (1-2 at most). Pujals will be an outsider for qualification, and she will need to hit at least 70%-71% to have a chance. She got 69.920% last month in Mannheim. It's not impossible but she will need her best performance and some luck. I think it would be really cool if she makes it. :)

Thank you very much for your answer.

Wow, that's unfair for individual athletes; i don't understand why do they privilege team competition, when it's really just the accumulation of the individual scores.

dcro    965
11 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Thank you very much for your answer.

Wow, that's unfair for individual athletes; i don't understand why do they privilege team competition, when it's really just the accumulation of the individual scores.

Well, team competitions are traditionally very important in equestrian, to both national federations and athletes themselves. In eventing for example. athletes are quite ready to sacrifice their individual chances just to do some "experiments" on cross-country course. So that the following athletes on team know what's the best way to deal with certain obstacles.

dcro    965

Germany has published the jumping long list for Rio. 10 names were selected and divded in two groups.

Group A

Christian Ahlmann

Ludger Beerbaum

Daniel Deusser

Marcus Ehning

Meredith Michaels-Beerbaum

Group B

Hans-Dieter Dreher

Marco Kutscher

Janne-Friederike Meyer

Mario Stevens

Patrick Stuhlmeyer

I expect all the names to come from Group A. Team will be named on July 17th.

Meanwhile, Danish dressage championships started yesterday, Dufour won the Grand Prix. It very much looks like Cathrine Dufour, Anna Kasprzak and Agnete Kirk Thinggaard will be in Rio. The last Danish team rider will probably be either Daniel Bachmann Andersen or Mikala Munter Gundersen.

dcro    965

Canada will be represented by Belinda Trussell and Megan Lane in dressage. Technically, selection period ends on July 3rd, but since there are no more competitions in North America before the deadline it's over. Trussell is a long way in front, but there was a tight battle for the second quota. Karen Pavicic sadly lost her quota to Lane on the very last day. :( Riders are ranked by the average of their 4 highest scores in the past few months.

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=36759

dcro    965

And the USA eventing team has been named.

Phillip Dutton (Cubalawn)

Lauren Kieffer (Veronica)

Boyd Martin (Blackfoot Mystery)

Clark Montgomery (Loughan Glen)

Travelling reserve is Maya Black with Doesn't Play Fair. What a cool name for a horse. :d

Phillip going to his 6th Olympics, Boyd going to 2nd.

dcro    965

Bronze medalist from London (and 6 times Olympian) Andrew Nicholson will not go to Rio... As his conflict with New Zealand equestrian federation continues.

Edited by dcro

dcro    965

Looks like Canadian dressage selection is not over yet. Karen Pavicic managed to become a late entry for competition in Austria next week. With less than a week to go, she is flying today from British Columbia to Europe to try to improve her scores in the very last available competition... What an effort is that, transporting her horse to Europe in a rush. She is just 0.0485 point behind Lane, who is currently holding the second Canadian quota.

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=36803

Edited by dcro

dcro    965

New Zealand equestrian teams will be named tomorrow, after that they will need to be confirmed by NZ Olympic Committee. Eventing team will definitely be approved by NZOC, but dressage individual's selection might be tricky. NZOC is looking for top 16 potential and Kiwi riders aren't exactly in that league.

If they don't accept it, then it will be the Phillippines that will get the dressage quota (they have Minimum Eligibility Standard so no worries there).