Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

dcro

Equestrian at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

dcro    965

Equestrian at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

2016Equestrian.png

Competition Details
City :BRA Rio de Janeiro :BRA
Dates August 6th - August 19th, 2016
Venue Olympic Equestrian Centre
Website Official Website

Official Schedule
Day 1 Saturday, August 6th, 2016 Day 1
Time (GMT -3) Event Stage
10:00 - 16:05 Open Individual Eventing Dressage (Event 1/3), Day 1
10:00 - 16:05 Open Team Eventing Dressage (Event 1/3), Day 1
Day 2 Sunday, August 7th, 2016 Day 2
10:00 - 15:55 Open Individual Eventing Dressage (Event 1/3), Day 2
10:00 - 15:55 Open Team Eventing Dressage (Event 1/3), Day 2
Day 3 Monday, August 8th, 2016 Day 3
10:00 - 15:00 Open Individual Eventing Cross-Country (Event 2/3)
10:00 - 15:00 Open Team Eventing Cross-Country (Event 2/3)
Day 4 Tuesday, August 9th, 2016 Day 4

11:00 - 14:45

Open Individual Eventing Jumping (Event 3/3)

11:00 - 14:45

Open Team Eventing Jumping (Event 3/3)
Day 5 Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 Day 5
10:00 - 16:00 Open Individual Dressage Grand Prix, Day 1
10:00 - 16:00 Open Team Dressage Grand Prix, Day 1
Day 6 Thursday, August 11th, 2016 Day 6
10:00 - 16:00 Open Individual Dressage Grand Prix, Day 2
10:00 - 16:00 Open Team Dressage Grand Prix, Day 2
Day 7 Friday, August 12th, 2016 Day 7
10:00 - 16:40 Open Individual Dressage Grand Prix Special

10:00 - 16:40

Open Team Dressage Grand Prix Special
Day 9 Sunday, August 14th, 2016 Day 9
10:00 - 13:40 Open Individual Jumping Qualification
Day 10 Monday, August 15th, 2016 Day 10

10:00 - 13:50

Open Individual Dressage Grand Prix Freestyle
Day 11 Tuesday, August 16th, 2016 Day 11
10:00 - 13:30 Open Team Jumping Qualification
Day 12 Wednesday, August 17th, 2016 Day 12

10:00 - 16:40

Open Team Jumping Final
Day 14 Friday, August 19th, 2016 Day 14
10:00 - 14:45 Open Individual Jumping Final, Round A

10:00 - 14:45

Open Individual Jumping Final, Round B
Edited by dcro

dcro    965

Japanese dressage selection trials will be held on June 1-2. Apparently they will ride Grand Prix tests on both days and the top four will be selected. Reasonable decision, considering that their chance of progressing from Grand Prix stage of competition is ZERO.

Six riders will compete:

Yuko Kitai (Don Lorean)

Masanao Takahashi (Fabriano)

Akane Kuroki (Toots)

Shingo Hayashi (Ramses, Clearwater)

Kazuki Sado (Ziroco)

Kiichi Harada (Egistar)

Edited by dcro

dcro    965

And the Japanese trials are over.

Yuko Kitai (Don Lorean) 69.234%

Masanao Takahashi (Fabriano) 66.334%

Kiichi Harada (Egistar) 65.783%

Akane Kuroki (Toots) 65.183%

Reserve: Shingo Hayashi (Ramses) 63.950%

Everyone is going to their first Olympics, except Yuko Kitai (competed in 2008)... And also horse Fabriano, who was ridden by Renate Voglsang (AUT) in London. Actually, Egistar is the only horse that Japanese didn't buy during the last year. All other horses are pretty much the experienced "schoolmasters" they bought for mostly inexperienced riders, just for this occasion (and for the future experience I guess).

EDIT: Japanese jumping team was also named today http://www.worldofshowjumping.com/en/News/Japanese-team-for-Olympic-Games-in-Rio-announced.html

Edited by dcro

dcro    965

German dressage championships in Balve started today with a Grand Prix (that's the first of two Rio selection events). And it was an eventful day with some amazing performances!

Kristina Broring-Sprehe (Desperados) 81.920%

Isabell Werth (Weihegold) 81.720%

Dorothee Schneider (Showtime) 79.920%

Sonke Rothenberger (Cosmo) 78.080%

Hubertus Schmidt (Imperio) 76.820%

Jessica von Bredow-Werndl (Unee) 76.100%

Isabell Werth (Emilio) 75.960%

Jessica von Bredow-Werndl (Zaire) 75.400%

Anabel Balkenhol (Dablino) 74.060%

Fabienne Lutkemeier (D'Agostino) 73.580%

Top 4 are really in the driving seat for the Rio selection. Tomorrow we have Grand Prix Special while Grand Prix Freestyle is scheduled for Sunday. Streams will be available on https://www.clipmyhorse.tv/en/

In other news, it really looks like sky's the limit for :IRL Judy Reynolds and Vancouver. They improved the Irish GP record by another 1% today (75.240%). That's already the top 10 zone for Rio (more or less). :)

Edited by dcro

dcro    965

Irish eventing team was selected today... http://www.horsesportireland.ie/horse-sport-ireland-announce-eventing-team-for-rio-olympics/

Clare Abbott (Europrince)

Mark Kyle (Jemilla)

Jonty Evans (Cooley Rorke's Drift)

Padraig McCarthy (Simon Porloe or Bernadette Utopia)

Reserve: Camilla Speirs (Portersize Just A Jiff)

I'm quite surprised with some selections here. Speirs and Jiffy are only the reserve, despite getting a top 10 in Badminton, what a dissapointment! :(

dcro    965

:SUI Marcela Krinke-Susmelj and Molberg named as Swiss individual in dressage

http://swissolympicteam.ch/olympische-spiele/sommerspiele/rio-2016/news/Die-Dressurreiterin-Marcela-Krinke-Susmelj-und-der-BMX-Fahrer-David-Graf-stehen-im-Swiss-Olympic-Team-f-r-Rio-2016.html

:IRL Judy Reynolds and Vancouver also officially named as Irish individual in dressage

http://www.horsesportireland.ie/horse-sport-ireland-announce-dressage-nominee-for-rio-olympics/

I'm definitely cheering for these two. :)

Edited by dcro

dcro    965

Looks like Sweden has selected the first two dressage riders in their team.

Patrik Kittel (Deja)

Tinne Vilhelmson-Silfven (Don Auriello)

Tinne is going to her 7th Olympics (first in 1992). :)

OlympicIRL    501
6 minutes ago, dcro said:

Tinne is going to her 7th Olympics (first in 1992). :)

Wow, that is a really great achievement.... I love these longevity stories :)

heywoodu    1,109

Who do you people think are the favourites in the three team events? I reckon we have a decent medal chance in the dressage and in the jumping (not the favourites, but a good chance to medal), but especially in dressage I'm wondering "where" Germany and Great Britain are nowadays.. 

I know Langehangenberg and Rath are gone and Werth can't use her best horses, but I see a German is leading the world rankings nonetheless..on the other hand, the British don't have tht many in the front of the world rankings.

dcro    965
10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Who do you people think are the favourites in the three team events? I reckon we have a decent medal chance in the dressage and in the jumping (not the favourites, but a good chance to medal), but especially in dressage I'm wondering "where" Germany and Great Britain are nowadays.. 

I know Langehangenberg and Rath are gone and Werth can't use her best horses, but I see a German is leading the world rankings nonetheless..on the other hand, the British don't have tht many in the front of the world rankings.

In dressage Germany is the favorite for gold, especially after the form their riders shown at the German championships. As in most sports, World rankings are not the best reference. :evil: The key of German favoritism are the young horses that are really coming through this year. Werth will ride a younger horse which is actually better than her injured ones. They also have Dorothee Schneider & Showtime and Sonke Rothenberger & Cosmo as the shooting stars with young horses. Sonke is actually the son of Sven Rothenberger, who "deflected" from Germany to Netherlands in the 90s and actually won a couple of Olympic medals for your nation :p Great Britain should be the second best. Charlotte Dujardin & Valegro dropped from the top of World ranking only because they didn't compete since the Europeans last August. They also have Fiona Bigwood & Orthilia who are going very well lately.

As for Netherlands, I don't see them winning anything more than a bronze, and even that could be a problem. Edward Gal competed only once this year with Undercover, and Undercover was so tense that he almost jumped out of the arena in that competition. A lot of people are saying that the horse lost his confidence in the arena after being eliminated at the Europeans last year. And just this week, it was announced that Gal withdrew from the 1st (out of 2) Dutch selection event. " The KNHS has not disclosed that proving form at just one show can suffice for team selection." There are also some rumors that Diederik van Silfhout's horse is struggling with fitness. So it seems that Dutch team might very well depend on Adelinde Cornelissen & Parzival scores once again. Although it's never good when you have to depend on "grandpa" horse, who is already 19-years old. Considering how well USA (and Sweden) are going this year, I actually wouldn't be surprised if Dutch miss out on the team medal. USA's chances were especially boosted by Kasey Perry-Glass & Dublet, who stunned everyone in their first ever competition in Europe.

In eventing Germany is the favorite, following the tradition of recent years. They should be followed by New Zealand, Great Britain, USA, France and Australia. Saying that, Netherlands has overperformed at some recent championships so maybe they can do it again.

Traditionally, jumping is the least predictable of the three. USA, Germany, France, Netherlands and Great Britain are the big five I guess. American guy McLain Ward is looking very good this year. But we mustn't discount Switzerland, Brazil, Canada and the World selection team called "Ukraine". Yep, Ukraine's new addition to the team is Ulrich Kirchoff, German guy who won both jumping gold medals in Atlanta in 1996... Ukraine is the Azerbaijan of equestrian World, a disgrace. Their team for Rio will likely be made of two Germans, one Brazilian and one Hungarian.