website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

Just now, dcro said:

:d

Only 2.2, but right next to my place. However, when my mother came and ask whether I felt it I was like: "Wasn't that a thunder?". :p

I'd prefer a 2.2 earthquake over a thunder that feels like a 2.2 earthquake :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

That is most definitely not true :p 

It all depends on depth, where you are etc.  If there's a 2.2 earthquake at maybe 5km depth right under your feet, you'll definitely feel it :d 

Really? I live in a seismic area and at all meetings with civil protection or various experts I have always said that an earthquake feels from the third degree :yikes:

20 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Really? I live in a seismic area and at all meetings with civil protection or various experts I have always said that an earthquake feels from the third degree :yikes:

There's quite a lot of these low-level earthquakes in the north of the Netherlands and people there do feel it :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

17 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

There's quite a lot of these low-level earthquakes in the north of the Netherlands and people there do feel it :p 

I don't know, maybe becouse in the generations we don't fell small earthquakes, who know :lol: Btw, here at all earthquakes people back to the mind to 1980, we are paranoid :p 

Edited by Gianlu33

18 horas atrás, Federer91 disse:

You see almost every day some kind of natural disasters around the world, but that Portugal fire was/is something special, if you could call it that. I have an interest, ever since a child, on natural disaster documentaries and shows from Discovery and others, and i have a feeling that in the future, this particular fire would be making a regular appearance. :(  

All the stories around it were horrible..... A work colleague of my parents just runned away from his home, surrounded by fire, on Saturday. On one car he took his parents, on the other his wife took their two daughters, of 12 and 15.

The man managed to cross that deadly road, his wife and daughters didn't, and died burned on their cars.

So many stories like this one of people running away and getting caught on that road...... Really really sad.....

And the worst is that it's not over yet...

17 horas atrás, heywoodu disse:

Sadly, I think you are right. Full with stories about the completely encircled towns.

I can't understand why there aren't any firefighting planes from Italy, France, Germany, whatever going down there. It's a couple of hours of flight time (maximum) and those Portuguese heroes who have been fighting their hearts out for more than 48 hours now so desperately need some relief.. (apart from the Spanish help they're getting)

They are getting a lot of help, more than 2800 firemen are fighting the fires, our army and navy is helping as well.

Anyway, if you can understand portuguese (or use google translate) you can read a bit of this to understand how bad it was for those who got surrounded by the fire:

Incendio em Portugal