website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

3 hours ago, VolleyRuller96 said:

No handball seems pretty strange...

Plus Formula 1 more popular than Volleyball, Hockey, or Boxing :mumble: i don't really believe that

Top 5 would be pretty possible if not for cricket.

How is it strange to see F1 is more popular than volleyball or especially ice hockey or boxing? :d 

F1 seems to have large numbers of fans worldwide, also in countries without a major driver, whereas apart from Brazil I wouldn't know a country where volleyball is extremely popular and the same thing goes for ice hockey (not Brazil, but Canada and obviously Czechoslovenia). F1 being more popular than boxing worldwide seems like an easy guess for me. 

I also doubt athletics would be this high...it doesn't seem like a sport with a real big fan base :p I mean, everyone knows Usain Bolt, but I wonder how many people there are who could mention 2-3 top athletes in half of the disciplines. 

Basically, my opinion of these 11: F1 is too low, athletics is too high, cricket is too high but looking at the numbers it's correct I guess :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Quasit said:

I don't go after such lists. What about Fencing? Where else do we have 200+ participants in World Cup stages?

Which other sports allow 200+ participants/sets such a low bar for entry in World Cup stages, one could also ask :evil:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, bestmen said:

24 Skiing  Downhill Skiing is a big event in europe and its also one of the biggest winter sports.

table seperater

This right here shows why not to take these things too serious..."downhill skiing is a big event" and they're comparing that with entire sports? :d 

Yes, alpine skiing is popular in countries like Austria and Switzerland, but not specifically 'downhill skiing', that's like saying "athletics is popular because people watch the 100m" :p 

MMA is probably accurate, it's becoming really popular (to my dismay, cuz it's garbage).

Ski is not popular, you guys just live in your european bubble :d

And I agree with Heywoodu, F1 is lower than I thought. Cars in general are popular even in countries without high-profile racers (my country for example).

35 minut temu, heywoodu napisał:

How is it strange to see F1 is more popular than volleyball or especially ice hockey or boxing? :d 

F1 seems to have large numbers of fans worldwide, also in countries without a major driver, whereas apart from Brazil I wouldn't know a country where volleyball is extremely popular and the same thing goes for ice hockey (not Brazil, but Canada and obviously Czechoslovenia). F1 being more popular than boxing worldwide seems like an easy guess for me. 

I also doubt athletics would be this high...it doesn't seem like a sport with a real big fan base :p I mean, everyone knows Usain Bolt, but I wonder how many people there are who could mention 2-3 top athletes in half of the disciplines. 

Basically, my opinion of these 11: F1 is too low, athletics is too high, cricket is too high but looking at the numbers it's correct I guess :d 

I didn't knew that such country exists :lol:

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Kay, I don't know about Boxing as it's not my number 1 sport,maybe i am wrong but i still would argue there are more fans of volleyball in countries like Poland, Italy, Iran,Bulgaria, China, Peru, Thailand (especially women's, some of their players reach massive number of "likes" on fb - just adding as i see "social media presence" as the criteriium) and in Ice Hockey I believe the popularity should be higher in the scandinavian countries like Finland,Sweden, obviously Czech Republic, Slovakia, Canada (but that what's you posted) or maybe even the U.S or Russia

Here in Poland formula 1 never seemed to really catch like for example ski jumping, even when R.Kubica was amongst the best, and now it's mostly a fringe sport - but i don't deny it might be more popular in other countries.

Oh, BTW you also might wanna edit your post, otherwise i fear our Slovakian Admin will find your address and personally murder you for that "CzechoSlovenia" mistake :d

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

27 minutes ago, VolleyRuller96 said:

Kay, I don't know about Boxing as it's not my number 1 sport,maybe i am wrong but i still would argue there are more fans of volleyball in countries like Poland, Italy, Iran,Bulgaria, China, Peru, Thailand (especially women's, some of their players reach massive number of "likes" on fb - just adding as i see "social media presence" as the criteriium) and in Ice Hockey I believe the popularity should be higher in the scandinavian countries like Finland,Sweden, obviously Czech Republic, Slovakia, Canada (but that what's you posted) or maybe even the U.S or Russia

Here in Poland formula 1 never seemed to really catch like for example ski jumping, even when R.Kubica was amongst the best, and now it's mostly a fringe sport - but i don't deny it might be more popular in other countries.

Oh, BTW you also might wanna edit your post, otherwise i fear our Slovakian Admin will find your address and personally murder you for that "CzechoSlovenia" mistake :d

Mistake? :p 

Personally I think F1 is one of the most global sports in the world in terms of TV audiences. It's shown live on TV in a huge number of countries, most of which have no race or driver or even a big history in the sport. I doubt volleyball is shown live in as many countries world wide to be honest :p (we were 4th at the Olympics yet the only time it's live on TV is during the Olympics or maybe with luck world/European champs, but definitely not club volleyball unless maybe it's the season's final....whereas on the other hand we didn't have a serious history in F1 and didn't have a serious driver for ages yet every single race was always shown live including preview/review etc :p )

Sports like ski jumping, speed skating etc are really popular in a very small amount of countries, but definitely aren't so widespread as F1. I'd say the same for athletics, but maybe they also count the number of people who do a certain kind of sport and of course every country has some local athletics clubs. I would be surprised if Diamond League viewer ratings are anywhere close to F1 though, apart from a few die hard athletics fans I never ever hear anyone talk about athletics at all :d 

Edited by heywoodu

12 hours ago, bestmen said:

the rest of ranking ,the handball is 22 , the explain is:

12 American Football   Biggest sport in USA and the most lucrative and powerful professional sport league of all sports is NFL which generates over $10 billion a year in revenue. Super bowl is the most watched sport event in US.
13 MMA  Mixed Martial Arts is getting more and more popular with the emergence of UFC. Its a big sport in Brazil, USA while spreading across Europe slowly. It highly rewarding financially and might overtake Boxing in a few years.
14 MotoGP  It is one of the motorcycle racing series. MotoGP is the premium class competition with huge TV following around the world. Mostly popular in Spain, Italy, Netherlands but growing in England, USA, Germany and Middle-east.
15 Field Hockey Field Hockey has fallen from grace even where it was most popular India, Pakistan. It still has some varied interest but nothing like 20 years ago where it was major sport in India, Pakistan and fairly popular in Australia, Malaysia, Holland, Germany, England and South Africa.
16 Badminton Huge popularity in Asia specifically countries like Malaysia, China, India, Korea etc. Its more of a hobby sport in Europe and Americas
17 Cycling  Very popular in some major european countries like France, Germany, Italy, Spain, England and Netherlands. Tour de France is one of the most watched competition in the world. Cycling is part of school games around the world.
18 Swimming  Another fairly global sport but only attracts popularity during Olympic games. US. Michael Phelps is the most famous athlete in swimming having won record 22 gold medals in Olympic games.
19 Snooker  Its very region specific game with only China and England orgnizing major competitions in Snooker. But it is also a major hooby game which is played everywhere around the world on non-professional level.
20 Table Tennis  Professional only China, Indonesia, Malaysia and India has some interest in Table Tennis but in terms of casual playing it is one of the most played sport around the world as a hobby.
21 Gymnastics  Some interest in all the major countries like Korea, US, Japan, China and Germnay. Like many other Olympics game Gymnastic only get some news time during Olympics.
22 Handball Some interest in european countries like Russia, France Germany, Poland, Hungary, Romania and a few other easter european nations. Some countries also have semi pro-leagues but only tv coverage is during world championships
23 Wrestling  Its more of a cultural sport in some parts of the world. In US its very popular among teens growing up. It is played on fairly large level in Japan, Turkey, Russian, India and Pakistan etc  (dont confuse it with WWE Wrestling)
24 Skiing  Downhill Skiing is a big event in europe and its also one of the biggest winter sports.
25 Horse Racing  Horse Racing is fairly medium size sport in US, UK, UAE and Australia. Mainly a gambling sport

table seperater

Pfftt so funny Indonesia is omitted from badminton and shows up in table tennis instead.

And Iran is not mentioned in wrestling, interesting :d