website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

A "fun" fact about today's date in Portugal: :POR

261 years ago, on today's date (Nobember 1st, 1755), a huge earthquake (estimated 8.5-9.0 scale) ocurred in the sea at the south of Portugal. It was so strong that almost the entire city of Lisbon (our capital) was destroyed, firstly because of the earthquake and the fires it caused, and second because of a tsunami that crushed the city.

Around 60000 people died (estimated) because of that, and the city was almost entirely remade from scratch after that.

4 hours ago, Griff88 said:

Wow, that comes to show how literally thousands of people can get all pissed off because of someone just saying a few words..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

49 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wow, that comes to show how literally thousands of people can get all pissed off because of someone just saying a few words..

Well, it happened after a "highly-educated" university professor distorted his comments and made it to sound like he is insulting the verses of Quran. Then everyone got provoked... :facepalm:Now when a few people started to point out the culprit, the mentioned professor is now playing victim :facepalm:

@Wanderer, you alright? :yikes:

IntensityMapThumbnails.png?t=1479037406

7.4, half an hour ago and only at 10km depth..that's not good. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

@Wanderer, you alright? :yikes:

IntensityMapThumbnails.png?t=1479037406

7.4, half an hour ago and only at 10km depth..that's not good. 

No worries, I am alright, I am at home, in Serbia these days.

Though one of my friends from Christchurch says it was 6.6 magnitude.

These days were very, very rainy with floods and slips reported here and there

Just now, Wanderer said:

No worries, I am alright, I am at home, in Serbia these days. 

Though one of my friends from Christchurch says it was 6.6 magnitude.

These days were very, very rainy with floods and slips reported here and there

Is Christchurch "your" city in NZ by the way? 

And the reports vary apparently, I just read some analysis guy saying it could have been magnitude 8 for 90 seconds, which is messed up.. 

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Is Christchurch "your" city in NZ by the way? 

And the reports vary apparently, I just read some analysis guy saying it could have been magnitude 8 for 90 seconds, which is messed up.. 

No, I'm Wellington based. And my flatmate told me there was slight damage in the house where I live but nothing to worry much about.

Well, I'd rather believe official reports and majority reported it was 6.6

Canterbury region is especially prone to earthquakes :(