website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

2 minuty temu, heywoodu napisał:

Same 'wind chill' temperatures here this week, finally a bit of winter :p 

According article on site from which is this map yesterday, in morning in almost whole Poland at morning temperature was lower than current temperatures in some parts of Antarctica :d We all (probably) know who is responsible for this :d

1 hour ago, Gianlu33 said:

This is too much :p We have 2 degrees here and I want die :p

It's -10 degrees here and I'm starting to think about searching for my winter jacket.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

It was 0 degree this afternoon and where I live it doesn't happen often (and it's kind of annoying that all we hear about on the news is this. At least it's not worse than a few weeks ago when there was between 5 and 10cm of snow in Paris and the city was paralyzed and the Canadians were making fun of them, rightfully :lol:), but it doesn't bother me, I like this temperature :lol: 

If I was religious, I'd be praying for it to remain this cold (around -5 during the day, -10/15 at night) for at least two more weeks, but sadly that won't happen. As soon as temperatures are dropping significantly for an extended period of time here, people start talking about the possibility of finally having the (in our country) legendary Elfstedentocht again, loosely translated to 'Eleven Cities Tour'.

What is this Elfstedentocht? Well, obviously it's speed skating, come on, it's the Netherlands. It's a race over almost 200km, which was first held in 1909. Competitors (many thousands of them) pass through eleven cities of the Friesland province, having to get some sort of stamps along the way to prove they passed the checkpoints (yes, there's modern timing, but we don't need to abolish all traditions in exchange for modern stuff).

The problem is, this race can only happen when the lakes and rivers along the way are frozen over enough. Including the first one in 1909, there have now been 15 editions of this race, but sadly the last one already was 21 years ago now: 1997. So now that it's getting cold again, they've stopped the 'traffic' on the waterways and stuff like that, hoping that it'll help freeze things over and get strong enough ice :p 

To illustratie, the finish of the last edition:

Spoiler

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

No work today or tomorrow!! Closed due to the beast from the east and storm Emma  :clap:. Time for some hot cocoa and a day in front of the telly :coffee:

Does this include the beloved Fireman Sam? :p

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen