Time (GMT -3) Event Stage

12:30 - 14:30

Women's Cross-Country Final
Day 16 Sunday, August 21st, 2016 Day 16
Time (GMT -3) Event Stage

12:30 - 14:30

Men's Cross-Country Final

• 2 weeks later...

Dutch media are reporting Peter Sagan will get the only Slovak ticket for the MTB in Rio...hckosice, any truth to that or will he, as planned, be the second Slovak in the MTB race?

It'd be quite horrible if he would indeed be the only one.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

36 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Dutch media are reporting Peter Sagan will get the only Slovak ticket for the MTB in Rio...hckosice, any truth to that or will he, as planned, be the second Slovak in the MTB race?

It'd be quite horrible if he would indeed be the only one.. 

Is google translate messing with me or what? :yikes:

According to this article on Slovak Olympic Committee website, Sagan will compete ONLY in mountain bike. While their mountain bike athlete Martin Haring will compete on road.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

Is google translate messing with me or what? :yikes:

According to this article on Slovak Olympic Committee website, Sagan will compete ONLY in mountain bike. While their mountain bike athlete Martin Haring will compete on road.

That's at least what the danish sports news say.

Apparently he decided already in january not to start, as he thought there was too much climbing. 
If that is so, I guess I've really underestimated the route.

2 minutes ago, Agger said:

That's at least what the danish sports news say.

Apparently he decided already in january not to start, as he thought there was too much climbing. 
If that is so, I guess I've really underestimated the route.

So because of too much climbing on road course he chose MOUNTAIN biking instead? :d Wow, I don't get that.

Anyway, his chance for medal in mountain bike is zero. No way he can keep up with the likes of Schurter and Absalon.

#banbestmen

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

So because of too much climbing on road course he chose MOUNTAIN biking instead? :d Wow, I don't get that.

Anyway, his chance for medal in mountain bike is zero. No way he can keep up with the likes of Schurter and Absalon.

Of course mountain biking isn't specifically climbing :p

And yeah, the course is seriously hard. This is not made for Sagan :d

profiel.png?01

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Even with the name, the elevation isn't quite as much ;)

I don't think I would say zero (mainly because I haven't seen him on a Mountain bike course), but there's no doubt that it will be very tough.

I think in MTB Sagan has a higher medal chance in Rio than on the road. Which doesn't mean he has a high medal chance, only that I think it's higher than on the road :p 

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Of course mountain biking isn't specifically climbing :p

Yes, but climbing is a most significant part. :p

And race tactics is completely different than road cycling, with cyclists often going full power from the start... Definitely not something that Sagan is used to.

#banbestmen