website statistics

Which Sports Events are you Currently Watching?

dcro

4 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

It's probably the least BS list you'll ever find on the subject.

The guy actually put some thoughts and efforts on it . Crazy !

Edit; there are still some stuff that makes my eyes rolling for exemple:

Except for the first two countries and maybe Brazil. I don' see how you could consider AF as a minor in sport in any of this country. Not even a fringe one tbh.

I guess, it has a lot to do with Superbowl repports, even if a lot of them threat it like a social event and not a sport's one.

Yep, here in the Netherlands I think NFL is somewhat equal with NBA, or a bit lower, but at least a lot higher in terms of general interest (mostly number of obscure fans) than NHL and MLB. Which I guess makes sense: NFL only has 16 regular season games, making every one important, whereas in MLB you've got 162 regular season games making every individual game feel like it doesn't matter at all. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

il y a 13 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

Yep, here in the Netherlands I think NFL is somewhat equal with NBA, or a bit lower, but at least a lot higher in terms of general interest (mostly number of obscure fans) than NHL and MLB. Which I guess makes sense: NFL only has 16 regular season games, making every one important, whereas in MLB you've got 162 regular season games making every individual game feel like it doesn't matter at all. 

NHL, fine, but the MLB also ?! You're supposed to be the baseball darling of the continent. You'll make the two internationall baseball fans from North America very disapointed.

3 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

NHL, fine, but the MLB also ?! You're supposed to be the baseball darling of the continent. You'll make the two internationall baseball fans from North America very disapointed.

Every game in the World Series gets a small article on the general sites, and if something odd happens or a Dutch player does something interesting you'll read it there, but most of the regular season doesn't exist :p 

Of course, like I said, there's always die hard fans for everything, but apart from them baseball (and especially MLB) is incredibly small. Wouldn't say it is 100% ignored, but most people probably won't be able to name more than one team (Yankees, obviously), if any. Dutch competition doesn't get much attention neither. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

il y a 1 minute, heywoodu a déclaré:

Every game in the World Series gets a small article on the general sites, and if something odd happens or a Dutch player does something interesting you'll read it there, but most of the regular season doesn't exist :p 

Of course, like I said, there's always die hard fans for everything, but apart from them baseball (and especially MLB) is incredibly small. Wouldn't say it is 100% ignored, but most people probably won't be able to name more than one team (Yankees, obviously), if any. Dutch competition doesn't get much attention neither. 

Something like "hey, we won the euro championship for the 256th time" would be complety ignored by the general sport fan (to give an exemple) ?

Just now, De_Gambassi said:

Something like "hey, we won the euro championship for the 256th time" would be complety ignored by the general sport fan (to give an exemple) ?

The general sports fan - the kind that watches the evening sports news and maybe one or two sports in the weekend if there are no other priorities - would probably notice that in the sports news on TV and say "oh" to themselves, but that's about it. 

Basketball no. #2 in Italy? :roflmao::rofl::facepalm:

it wasn't anywhere close to that even in its best days in the Eighties...TV ratings on free tv (1 game a week) are about 0.3% (apart for the Olimpia Milano games, which go up to 0.5/0.6)...there are just 1 or 2 exceptions a year for the possible game #7 of the final series if there's Milano on the court, but we still talk of 4/5% ratings on the 2nd or 3rd major Italian public channel...

Euroleague games are not even broadcasted (they're on the eurosport player, with about 80000 subscribers in a 60-million people Nation)...

NBA is only on pay-tv since the Middle Age (we're talking of 50/60k average for the RS and 150/200k spectators for the finals)...

if this is our second most popular sport...:whistle:

and for what concerns F1 and MotoGP, they should write Ferrari and Valentino Rossi, because without those 2, nobody would watch a single race (apart for the usual few die hard fans, but this is common to all disciplines in all Countries)

Cycling is indeed our 2nd most popular discipline...

and no comment on Golf, Rugby or Tennis being more popular than Alpine Skiing or Swimming (actually, no comment on Golf at all...I guess we are no more than a few thousends here in Italy to know that golf is not only a Volkswagen car model :yikes::rofl:)...

p.s. they don't even name Boxing, but here it's still a big sport...if only there weren't many idiots trying to boycott it (together with all fighting sports) and they could still broadcast it in prime time on free TV (which at the moment is illegal), a good Boxing fight would make very good tv ratings (Clemente Russo and Roberto Cammarelle finals in London 2012 are 2 among the most watched sport events of the last 10 years outside the "magic circle" -Football, Ferrari, Valentino and Road Cycling)...

and I don't go back to the Mike Tyson's prime (when his fights were broadcasted live on free tv and replied in prime time the day after)...he used to have soccer-alike tv ratings...

I appreciate the effort, but they should live here for a while to make an idea of how things works (the sad truth is that outside the socalled "magic circle", all the remaining sports are just for the die hard fans...the average Italian people don't even know they exists)...:evil::pope:

Edited by phelps

Alright, to answer the thread name question: Red Bull Crashed Ice from Edmonton, the season finals, and the Fiji - Kenya Vancouver 7s final, which were Saturday night and yesterday night respectively. Both are fun :d 

OK, back in topic...

yesterday I watched some Ice Hockey (KHL playoffs round #1, Metallurg Magnitogorsk vs Avtomobilist Ekaterinenburg, game #7 and NHL regular season, New York Islanders @ Calgary Flames)...

Today, it's Ice Hockey (I have many options -NHL RS, Swiss NLA and Czech Extraliga playoffs above all- so, I guess I have to take some hard decisions when it's Hockey time :rofl::facepalm:) and Football (Soccer) Champions League (Roma vs Shakhtar Donetsk)...