Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Prashanth

Badminton 2016 Discussion Thread

opruh    15

The defending champion Chen Long was booted out by his younger compatriot Xue Song. 

Agger    386

Some good news.

Carsten Mogensen is already back in the game working towards Rio after his bursted aneurism.

Griff88    236
22 hours ago, Agger said:

Some good news.

Carsten Mogensen is already back in the game working towards Rio after his bursted aneurism.

And Cai Yun/MathiasBoe combination is not allowed by Chinese Badminton Association..

Anyway, our Indonesian hope was on Praveen and Debby but they're facing Zhang/Zhao :mumble:

opruh    15

^ Zhang/Zhao are out :p Praveen/Debby too strong for them this time. 

Werloc    847

By the way, I'm not familiar with the qualification system. How many men and women qualify to RIO in the singles event?

Bearas    18
28 minutes ago, Werloc said:

By the way, I'm not familiar with the qualification system. How many men and women qualify to RIO in the singles event?

16 pairs in doubles, 36 athletes in singles. 

No Lithuanians are close to qualify for Rio if you wonder...

Werloc    847
Just now, Bearas said:

16 pairs in doubles, 36 athletes in singles. 

No Lithuanians are close to qualify for Rio if you wonder...

Yes, that was exactly what I was wondering about :d Stapušaitytė is doing quite well lately, so I thought that maybe she was getting closer. But as I presume, there used to be more athletes in Badminton in 2012/2008 Olympics? Because I remember her and Kęstutis were both qualified once.

Bearas    18
Just now, Werloc said:

Yes, that was exactly what I was wondering about :d Stapušaitytė is doing quite well lately, so I thought that maybe she was getting closer. But as I presume, there used to be more athletes in Badminton in 2012/2008 Olympics? Because I remember her and Kęstutis were both qualified once.

No, just right now the field is more diverse with more countries earning quotas, + Kęstutis is 60 positions lower than he used to be before all the injuries (despite the fact that he still around top100). Plus Akvilė did not qualified for 2012 London as well, she just was invited later on through re-distributed quotas. Both Lithuanians will be in reserve list - so very small chance unless meteor hits a major tournament :d

Werloc    847
Just now, Bearas said:

No, just right now the field is more diverse with more countries earning quotas, + Kęstutis is 60 positions lower than he used to be before all the injuries (despite the fact that he still around top100). Plus Akvilė did not qualified for 2012 London as well, she just was invited later on through re-distributed quotas. Both Lithuanians will be in reserve list - so very small chance unless meteor hits a major tournament :d

Well, you never know with those sneaky meteors :whistle:

vovanA    47

Ivanov and Sozonov won All-England in men's doubles. A crazy result

Dolby    194
On 3/13/2016 at 4:46 PM, Bearas said:

At present you are R6 in MS and R7 in WS. Also, meteor hitting a major tournament not help as top nations have multiple entries ahead of reserves.

You can check rankings at http://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/ranking/ranking.aspx?rid=176

Griff88    236
17 hours ago, vovanA said:

Ivanov and Sozonov won All-England in men's doubles. A crazy result

Yeah.. Really unexpected results, just like Praveen Jordan/Debby Susanto.

After Ivanov/Sozonov win against Lee/Yoo, I already have the feeling that the Russians will win :)