Jump to content

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account


Sign in to follow this  
MantaRaymarc

Badminton Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

Recommended Posts

mrv86    355

BWF announced Australia picked its men's and mixed pairs to compete in Rio (source), meaning both single spots were offered to New Zealan. If I interpret correctly the nomination criteria, NZL might not select them, and as there is no other player from Oceania that satisfy the minimum criteria for participation in Rio, those place could end going to Mexico (in men) :pope: and the Netherlands (in women).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heywoodu    2,722
3 hours ago, mrv86 said:

BWF announced Australia picked its men's and mixed pairs to compete in Rio (source), meaning both single spots were offered to New Zealan. If I interpret correctly the nomination criteria, NZL might not select them, and as there is no other player from Oceania that satisfy the minimum criteria for participation in Rio, those place could end going to Mexico (in men) :pope: and the Netherlands (in women).

It's definitely not going to the Netherlands :p

 

Or well, maybe it does, but then it will go on to the next nation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prof87    3
vor 4 Stunden schrieb mrv86:

BWF announced Australia picked its men's and mixed pairs to compete in Rio (source), meaning both single spots were offered to New Zealan. If I interpret correctly the nomination criteria, NZL might not select them, and as there is no other player from Oceania that satisfy the minimum criteria for participation in Rio, those place could end going to Mexico (in men) :pope: and the Netherlands (in women).

 

just a little correction on that one

 

Zitat

....As there were no Tripartite places taken up in Women’s Singles, the highest Oceania representative (No.74 Hsuan-Yu Wendy Chen) qualified on ranking (source)

 

that means just the reallocation of the mens single quota place

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcro    2,271
1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

It's definitely not going to the Netherlands :p

 

Or well, maybe it does, but then it will go on to the next nation. 

 

Okay, so it will go to Nigeria then. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prof87    3
vor 11 Minuten schrieb dcro:

 

Okay, so it will go to Nigeria then. :p

 

...or lets say to no one ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcro    2,271
43 minutes ago, prof87 said:

that means just the reallocation of the mens single quota place

 

11 minutes ago, prof87 said:

...or lets say to no one ;)

 

What? It doesn't matter how Australia qualified in women's singles. That quota still needs to be reallocated at the end. First it will go to New Zealand, and if they refuse to Nigeria.

 

EDIT: Ah, yes, I realize now that Australia only needs to return continental quotas.

Edited by dcro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
prof87    3
vor 3 Minuten schrieb dcro:

What? It doesn't matter how Australia qualified in women's singles. That quota still needs to be reallocated at the end. First it will go to New Zealand, and if they refuse to Nigeria.

 

It seems to me that it does matter, because of the following facts:

 

34 Single Places (including the 5 Continental Representation Places)

+ 1 x Host Country Place (HC)

+ 3 x Unused Athlet Quota Places from Doubles (UAQ)

+ 3 x Reallocation of Unused Tripartite Commission Invitation Places (RUT)

 

Place 1-32 (including Continental Representation of Asia, Europe, America)

(without following the Continental Representation)/with Continental Representation

(33) UAQ - :SUI - Sabrina Jaquet

(34) UAQ - :IRL - Chlor Magee

(UAQ) UAQ - :POR - Telma Santos

(UAQ) AFR - :MRI - Kate Foo Kune (Continental Representation of Africa)

(UAQ) RUT - :EST - Kati Tolmoff

(HC) HC - :BRA - Lohaynny Vicente

(RUT) RUT - :HUN - Laura Sarosi

(RUT) AUS - :AUS - Hsuan-Yu Wendy Chen (Continental Representation of Australia)

(RUT) RUT - :LTU - Akvile Stapusaityte

 

so no place open, correct me if I'm wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcro    2,271
10 minutes ago, prof87 said:

 

It seems to me that it does matter, because of the following facts:

 

34 Single Places (including the 5 Continental Representation Places)

+ 1 x Host Country Place (HC)

+ 3 x Unused Athlet Quota Places from Doubles (UAQ)

+ 3 x Reallocation of Unused Tripartite Commission Invitation Places (RUT)

 

Place 1-32 (including Continental Representation of Asia, Europe, America)

(without following the Continental Representation)/with Continental Representation

(33) UAQ - :SUI - Sabrina Jaquet

(34) UAQ - :IRL - Chlor Magee

(UAQ) UAQ - :POR - Telma Santos

(UAQ) AFR - :MRI - Kate Foo Kune (Continental Representation of Africa)

(UAQ) RUT - :EST - Kati Tolmoff

(HC) HC - :BRA - Lohaynny Vicente

(RUT) RUT - :HUN - Laura Sarosi

(RUT) AUS - :AUS - Hsuan-Yu Wendy Chen (Continental Representation of Australia)

(RUT) RUT - :LTU - Akvile Stapusaityte

 

so no place open, correct me if I'm wrong

 

Yes, it should be like that. Meaning that Australia gets to keep women's singles quota. :yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Griff88    179

So... a bit of update in Men's singles

 

Since Australia not taking their MS quota, New Zealand reject it and we still have one Oceanian country which satisfy the criteria:

 

:TGAMetuisela Tanakai Vainikolo - ranked 574

 

Source: http://system.bwfbadminton.com/uploads/2016/06/21/Olympic qualifiers from WR 05-05-16 - 21 June phase 3 MS.pdf

Edited by Griff88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcro    2,271
11 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

So... a bit of update in Men's singles

 

Since Australia not taking their MS quota, New Zealand reject it and we still have one Oceanian country which satisfy the criteria:

 

:TGAMetuisela Tanakai Vainikolo - ranked 574

 

Source: http://system.bwfbadminton.com/uploads/2016/06/21/Olympic qualifiers from WR 05-05-16 - 21 June phase 3 MS.pdf

 

Wow, what a surprise! :woot: Good for Tonga. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heywoodu    2,722
13 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

So... a bit of update in Men's singles

 

Since Australia not taking their MS quota, New Zealand reject it and we still have one Oceanian country which satisfy the criteria:

 

:TGAMetuisela Tanakai Vainikolo - ranked 574

 

Source: http://system.bwfbadminton.com/uploads/2016/06/21/Olympic qualifiers from WR 05-05-16 - 21 June phase 3 MS.pdf

That's just awesome :d 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrv86    355
5 hours ago, Griff88 said:

So... a bit of update in Men's singles

 

Since Australia not taking their MS quota, New Zealand reject it and we still have one Oceanian country which satisfy the criteria:

 

:TGAMetuisela Tanakai Vainikolo - ranked 574

 

Source: http://system.bwfbadminton.com/uploads/2016/06/21/Olympic qualifiers from WR 05-05-16 - 21 June phase 3 MS.pdf

Completely unfair as they modified the qualification criteria after they were published... originally players (including tripartite places) were supossed to compete in at least 3 tournaments to be able to play in Rio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×