website statistics

Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympic Games 2016 News

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

The most recognizable are Bolt, Nadal, Djokovic, Neymar and Phelps. And that's it.

Murray is famous, but I don't think he's particularly liked outside of UK.

Gymnastics isn't popular at all outside of your country and Russia/East Europe, so I don't think many people would tell Biles apart.

EDIT. Serena Williams is very popular too.

You can tell biles apart! she's only 4'8"!

Co2_GWaXgAAKk8A.jpg

Edited by Maxim Fastovsky

48 minutes ago, Janakis said:

Welcome to olympic athletes from around the world on the facade of the hotel Copacabana Palace.

13923601_1191491024236449_61694567547935

I was in Rio last year and stood (and swam) right in this spot. It's a spectacular building from the outside, I wish I would have gone in and had a look.  I'm sure Copacabana is bouncing right now!

5 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

There is a large part of the world that doesn't give a f. about basketball. None of these guys are more well_known outside of the US than Bolt, Phelps or Djokovic.

Even worse in Indonesia, most of them only know the top 10-15 badminton players and the European football stars. Phelps and Bolt gained popularity here during Beijing 2008, but no one really cares about London 2012 except badminton and weightlifting (and football maybe :P)... And also not until London 2012 Paralympics and Sochi 2014 most of people here know that Paralympics and Olympic Winter Games do exist.  :wall: As a big fan of the Olympics, I feel I am living in the wrong place because the ratings are low thus making it hard to watch the Olympics... :cry:

25 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Even worse in Indonesia, most of them only know the top 10-15 badminton players and the European football stars. Phelps and Bolt gained popularity here during Beijing 2008, but no one really cares about London 2012 except badminton and weightlifting (and football maybe :P)... And also not until London 2012 Paralympics and Sochi 2014 most of people here know that Paralympics and Olympic Winter Games do exist.  :wall: As a big fan of the Olympics, I feel I am living in the wrong place because the ratings are low thus making it hard to watch the Olympics... :cry:

Similar is the case in India. Cricket overshadows almost all other sports.

13 minutes ago, Suneet said:

Similar is the case in India. Cricket overshadows almost all other sports.

USA is not much better, even though we have so many good athletes, swimmers, gymnasts. On a regular basis outside of the 3 months before the olympics all people care about most is football, basketball, baseball. (Granted i'm a huge Football fan, but don't really care about the rest). NBC are great because they stream everything, but the TV Coverage is horrible plus their playback rules are really really annoying!!