website statistics

Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympic Games 2016 News

Just now, Griff88 said:

I can see Cambodia, Afghanistan, and Vietnam

And possibly Iraq or Syria in the bottom? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

28 minutes ago, lunatik said:

"British athletes, however, will have to settle for national glory and their image on a stamp rather than cash.

British Olympic chiefs are of the view that financial rewards do not significantly impact the motivation of athletes to reach the podium and it is their desire to compete at the Olympics that is their main driving force."

Well fantastic that the chiefs can decide how the athletes actually feel about that :lol:

It's like me telling you: "No, you don't want to watch the Olympics, you don't like it, so instead, you can cook dinner."

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well fantastic that the chiefs can decide how the athletes actually feel about that :lol:

It's like me telling you: "No, you don't want to watch the Olympics, you don't like it, so instead, you can cook dinner."

Actually I'm not really against this approach. If Olympic glory and winning a medal is less worth to you than prize money you might as well stay home. ;)

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

1 hour ago, dareza said:

what are prize for medal winners in your country?

Serbia:

gold- 45.000 e (40.000 for team sports)

silver-40.000 e (35.000 for team sports)

bronze-35.000 e (30.000 for team sports)

For :INA Indonesia:

Gold: IDR 5 billion (about € 342.000)

Silver: IDR 2 billion (about € 136.000)

Bronze: IDR 1 billion (about € 68.000)

Not to mention the government now will give monthly allowance to retired Olympic medalists (€ 1370 for gold, €1025 for silver, € 685 for bronze). If you're badminton player, the Badminton Federation will award another IDR 1 billion for gold medalist, IDR 500 million for silver, and IDR 250 million for bronze. And then the badminton clubs, it never ends :p 

Just now, Griff88 said:

For :INA Indonesia:

Gold: IDR 5 billion (about € 342.000)

Silver: IDR 2 billion (about € 136.000)

Bronze: IDR 1 billion (about € 68.000)

Not to mention the government now will give monthly allowance to retired Olympic medalists (€ 1370 for gold, €1025 for silver, € 685 for bronze). If you're badminton player, the Badminton Federation will award another IDR 1 billion for gold medalist, IDR 500 million for silver, and IDR 250 million for bronze. And then the badminton clubs, it never ends :p 

:bowdown:

2 minutos atrás, Quasit disse:

Actually I'm not really against this approach. If Olympic glory and winning a medal is less worth to you than prize money you might as well stay home. ;)

This is very interesting and I really value Olympic glory, but you can't buy your house or pay for your children's school with Olympic glory, so I have to ask: how do the GB athletes earn their money/salary? (isn't it somewhat related with their achievements? like if A is better than B, then A will receive a greater salary than B?)

4 minutes ago, Quasit said:

True, but who on earth are a bunch of officials to decide what motivates you? 

Besides, if a good financial reward motivates you 1% more, I don't think that's a reason to say you're an athlete who doesn't deserve to go to the Olympics :p

There's a difference between money as the sole motivation or money as a bit of an extra motivation. 

Our batch as promised by the Ministry, converted in todays exchange.

Gold - 250 000 BGN = 128 167 

Silver - 200 000 BGN = 102 533 €

Bronz - 150 000 BGN = 76 900 €

4th - 40 000 BGN = 20 506 € 

5th - 30 000 BGN = 15 380 €

6th - 20 000 BGN = 10 253 €

7th - 15 000 BGN = 7690 € 

8th - 10 000 BGN = 5126 €