website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Qualification Systems

vor einer Stunde schrieb De_Gambassi:

Yeah, why not "giving" the medals to the best athletes ? The shock, the horror !

I think limitation to one country is good, as there are several disciplines. This is really stupid idea. 

If they do it in canoeing then they have to do it in rowing as well and maybe few other sports, and for slalom canoeing as well. 

Why not having then more than one competitor per nation in wrestling, taekwando, judo etc. 

il y a 31 minutes, prso1000 a déclaré:

I think limitation to one country is good, as there are several disciplines. This is really stupid idea. 

If they do it in canoeing then they have to do it in rowing as well and maybe few other sports, and for slalom canoeing as well. 

Why not having then more than one competitor per nation in wrestling, taekwando, judo etc. 

Exactly :p 

Edited by De_Gambassi

to me, it's just a question related to the limited number of spots available...

races with 10 or 12 boats (but it's the same for most sports) are already not really representative enough...and if we also have to look at 3 or 4 of those (boats/athletes/teams etc.) coming from the same Country...well, imho this event loses all of its attractiveness...

I don't see any good reason to give powerhuses aven more advantage than what they already have...I've never liked a one-sided podium in any discipline...and I'm not gonna start now...

I'd be OK with more than one (boat/athlete/team) per NOC only if there are no limited spots in the whole Olympics...

but, since it's impossible to host a million people for the Games, with the current participation rules it's more than enough to have 1 spot per NOC in all these sports, which already are by their own nature "multi-athlete" in most of their events...

il y a 28 minutes, phelps a déclaré:

to me, it's just a question related to the limited number of spots available...

races with 10 or 12 boats (but it's the same for most sports) are already not really representative enough...and if we also have to look at 3 or 4 of those (boats/athletes/teams etc.) coming from the same Country...well, imho this event loses all of its attractiveness...

I don't see any good reason to give powerhuses aven more advantage than what they already have...I've never liked a one-sided podium in any discipline...and I'm not gonna start now...

I'd be OK with more than one (boat/athlete/team) per NOC only if there are no limited spots in the whole Olympics...

but, since it's impossible to host a million people for the Games, with the current participation rules it's more than enough to have 1 spot per NOC in all these sports, which already are by their own nature "multi-athlete" in most of their events...

So the sports that allready suffers from a lack of quotas, should also suffer from the absence of some of its best athletes when other sports can rack as many athletes as they want and exclude no one ?

Non bis in idem

Besides, in most cases (excluding the longer boats), we are talking about events with 20-25 athletes. Other sports (BMX, surfing, diving...)  manages to qualifie more than one athlete per nation with a similar number of overall quotas.

il y a 15 minutes, Vojthas a déclaré:

Sport Climbing project from the Polish federation's website.

What... 20 quotas and up to two by nation, that's crazy, stupid, the death of olympism, yada, yada. 

Anyway, the overall ranking won't be too much of use. By default, I don't really like extra qualification tournament when you allready have a ranking that could do the job.

il y a 3 minutes, De_Gambassi a déclaré:

What... 20 quotas and up to two by nation, that's crazy, stupid, the death of olympism, yada, yada. 

Anyway, the overall ranking won't be too much of use. By default, I don't really like extra qualification tournament when you allready have a ranking that could do the job.

France can hope how many quotas?