website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Qualification Systems

57 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

http://www.rio.itftennis.com/olympics/news/%2Folympics%2Fnews%2Farticles%2Fitf-introduces-continental-qualification-places-for-tokyo-2020

The ITF today announced the introduction of six Continental Qualification places for both the men’s and women’s singles events at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Tennis Event. The new qualification places have been approved by the IOC Executive Board as part of the Tokyo 2020 Qualification System for tennis that will be released by the IOC in the coming weeks.

The 2020 Olympic Tennis Event will once again feature five disciplines: men’s singles and doubles, women’s singles and doubles, and mixed doubles. Each singles draw will comprise 64 players, with a maximum of four players per nation. There will be 56 direct acceptances as at previous Games, and eight ITF places, including the six Continental Qualification places.

For the first time in Olympic history, players will have a chance to earn their place in the Olympic Tennis Event through success at one of the regional multi-sport games, including the 2018 Asian Games and 2019 African and Pan American Games. In addition, one place will be awarded to the highest ranked man and woman in both Europe and Oceania from a country not yet represented in singles.

The following will qualify for a Continental Qualification place provided their ranking is within the Top 300 on the singles rankings of 8 June 2020, and provided the quota for that nation has not yet been filled by four direct acceptances:

Continent Qualification Route Quota Place Quota per gender
North & South America 2019 Pan American Games - Lima, Peru Singles winner and runner up 2
Asia 2018 Asian Games -  Jakarta and Palembang, Indonesia Singles winner 1
Africa 2019 African Games -  Luksaka, Zambia Singles winner 1
Europe Universality Place Highest ranked athlete on the Singles Rankings that is from an NOC not yet represented in singles 1
Oceania Universality Place Highest ranked athlete on the Singles Rankings that is from an NOC not yet represented in singles 1

Great news for Egypt now it's much easier to qualify 

hace 13 minutos, vinipereira said:

Maybe now we'll see a better list of players at the Pan American Games.

I don't think so, any top 100 player doesn't really care about the olympics, they only care about money and ranking points. If they have to go to the olympics, fine, but they won't go out of their scheduled tour to qualify. Also, Panamerican games 2019 almost overlaps with Montreal M1000 (and some atp 500 the week before), so forget about any top 80 player.

I always felt that there should have been some kind of qualification events.

50 minutes ago, dcro said:

So if AUS/NZL qualify directly then we'll some interesting nations. :d

I'd imagine they would also need to be in the top 300 (the article is vague on whether Europe/Oceania also needs to fulfill that requirement). Abigail Tere-Apisah from Papua New Guinea is currently ranked 333 so she would be the most likely to reach that level.

32 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I don't think so, any top 100 player doesn't really care about the olympics, they only care about money and ranking points. If they have to go to the olympics, fine, but they won't go out of their scheduled tour to qualify. Also, Panamerican games 2019 almost overlaps with Montreal M1000 (and some atp 500 the week before), so forget about any top 80 player.

Well, some of our top players were interested in participating at the 2015 Pan American Games, but the confederation decided to send a youth team that did quite terrible. Maybe some of our best players (which are not in the top 100) could participate this time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they send a young team again - a strategy that we'll follow in many sports like Swimming at the coming South American Games.

hace 28 minutos, vinipereira said:

Well, some of our top players were interested in participating at the 2015 Pan American Games, but the confederation decided to send a youth team that did quite terrible. Maybe some of our best players (which are not in the top 100) could participate this time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they send a young team again - a strategy that we'll follow in many sports like Swimming at the coming South American Games.

eh... would it be too crazy for me to say that Brazil risks losing first place at SA games by doing that?

6 minutes ago, LDOG said:

eh... would it be too crazy for me to say that Brazil risks losing first place at SA games by doing that?

It depends on how many sports we will follow this. I think we will win the Games but the gap to second place nation will be much smaller - just in Swimming alone we should lose about 10 golds?

hace 1 minuto, vinipereira said:

It depends on how many sports we will follow this. I think we will win the Games but the gap to second place nation will be much smaller - just in Swimming alone we should lose about 10 golds?

Yes, other south american countries are improving in swimming (assuming everyone else takes the best).

Also, there is the altitude which could help colombian athletes in some sports.