website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Qualification Systems

40 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

The speicific details for the Volleyball qualification seem to be known as well. According to Worldofvolley, all qualifications tournaments are already in 2019 and the order has changed: http://www.worldofvolley.com/News/Latest_news/FIVB/89336/fivb-changes-qualification-system-for-the-olympic-games-continental-championships-gain-importance-.html

- First tournament is the World Qualification tournament, which is similar to the World Cup. It takes place in early 2019.

- Second tournament is the International Qualification tournament, with the twelve best teams in the World Ranking not yet qualified. It's in summer 2019.

- The third tournament are the Continental Championships in 2019. So there seems to be no longer an additional continental tournament in the beginning of the Olympic year.

I like this :yes

This article is written on basis of article in Polish biggest sport daily newspaper Przegląd Sportowy. The author is a chief of redaction's volleyball team, but I have a lot of doubts to the job he made. First of all he wrote that IOC must approve the proposal of FIVB this year, which means he knows nothing about it - due to my information (I think from a few posts above from this forum) the approval is scheduled for February 2018 (which I pressume means it will be during pre-session IOC EB meeting in Pyeongchang). If one thesis of the article is doubtful, so there can be others. For example the one about continental championships being Olympic Qualification Tournament. In the article the phrase "Champion of Continental Confederation" was used, but in the proposal posted on FIVB website a few months ago the phrase was "Champion of Continental Confederation's qualification". That's easy to misunderstand and may lead to mistake. The second thing - during Eurovolley in Poland my colleague attented the press conference of Ceferović about 2019 qualifications and he asked Ceferović about it - the CEV president said, that there will be a separate qualification tournament. And one linguistical thing - the second tournament is not supposed to be "International" (all will be) but "Intercontinental" - that's the error of the author of an article linked by @EselTheDonkey

6 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

This article is written on basis of article in Polish biggest sport daily newspaper Przegląd Sportowy. The author is a chief of redaction's volleyball team, but I have a lot of doubts to the job he made. First of all he wrote that IOC must approve the proposal of FIVB this year, which means he knows nothing about it - due to my information (I think from a few posts above from this forum) the approval is scheduled for February 2018 (which I pressume means it will be during pre-session IOC EB meeting in Pyeongchang). If one thesis of the article is doubtful, so there can be others. For example the one about continental championships being Olympic Qualification Tournament. In the article the phrase "Champion of Continental Confederation" was used, but in the proposal posted on FIVB website a few months ago the phrase was "Champion of Continental Confederation's qualification". That's easy to misunderstand and may lead to mistake. The second thing - during Eurovolley in Poland my colleague attented the press conference of Ceferović about 2019 qualifications and he asked Ceferović about it - the CEV president said, that there will be a separate qualification tournament. And one linguistical thing - the second tournament is not supposed to be "International" (all will be) but "Intercontinental" - that's the error of the author of an article linked by @EselTheDonkey

who is Ceferovic? President of CEV is Boricic.

12 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

So, we can have again a continental qualification tournament? :mumble:

4 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

So, we can have again a continental qualification tournament? :mumble:

I'm afraid so. And there are still questions about two things: what will be order of qualification tournament (continental or intercontinental as last chance?) and what will be qualification to qualification - last continental championships, continental confederation ranking or world ranking?

World Rowing Federation has published their most recent draft: http://www.worldrowing.com/mm//Document/General/General/12/92/14/2020OQSCouncilLatestDraft020917F_Neutral.pdf

It isn't finalized yet, but they explained their decisions step by step. And they have included a chart how many boats will qualify at which competition, should the draft be used.

Edited by EselTheDonkey

• 5 weeks later...

Equestrian systems have been slightly revised. Revised systems + comments/suggestions from NFs are available here.

It's definitely good to see that Pan Am Games will be also used for the individual jumping qualification, and not the rankings!

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Weightlifting are apparently changing their qualification from national team quota to individual qualifying, whilst reducing the max quota per nation to 8 athletes. 

Hope the cut doesnt prevent smaller nations in Oceania from qualifying like they used to do