website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Qualification Systems

Anything that puts emphasis on world ranking (and volleyball WR in particular is very deficent) is a bad system.

In men's for example we would have something like this today:

A- Brazil, Egypt, Bulgaria, Netherlands

B - USA, Serbia, Belgium, Tunisia

C - Poland, Germany, Australia, Slovenia

D - Italy, France, Cuba, Venezuela

E - Russia, Iran, Finland, Korea

F - Canada, Argentina, Mexico, China

EDIT: I forgot Japan shouldn't participate in this.

Edited by LDOG

11 hours ago, Vojthas said:

One of the Polish webiste's is referring to the source close to FIVB saying, that the volleyball qualification system for Tokyo 2020 is going to change drastically. They say it's sure and it's been accepted by FIVB Board.

Do you have a link to this Polish site?

Wikipedia says the same, citing the Asian Volleyball Confederation meeting: http://asianvolleyball.net/2018/05/avc-ba-meeting-agree-to-boost-social-media-strategy/#more-24454

According to Dr Eom, a total of 12 teams will compete in the Tokyo Games including hosts Japan. Another six tickets will be given away to the winning teams of the International Olympic Qualification Tournaments. A total of top 24 teams based on the FIVB World Ranking as of January 1, 2019 will be split into 6 groups of four teams. Only the winners of each group will make the cut for the Olympics. The remaining five places will be decided in the Continental Olympic Qualification Tournaments, minimum 20 teams split into 5 groups. The winners of each group advance to the Tokyo Games.

12 ore fa, LDOG ha scritto:

Anything that puts emphasis on world ranking (and volleyball WR in particular is very deficent) is a bad system.

I agree when talking of team sport, definitely.

I keep on thinking that for team sports there should be 16 teams tournaments to result in fair representation. It’s strange to see that only men’s football has 16 teams, it makes me laugh every time.

12 ore fa, LDOG ha scritto:

In men's for example we would have something like this today:

A- Brazil, Egypt, Bulgaria, Netherlands

B - USA, Serbia, Belgium, Tunisia

C - Poland, Germany, Australia, Slovenia

D - Italy, France, Cuba, Venezuela

E - Russia, Iran, Finland, Korea

F - Canada, Argentina, Mexico, China

EDIT: I forgot Japan shouldn't participate in this.

I agree at 100%

p.s. with this groups' lineup, Italy are really at risk of missing the qualification...:facepalm:meanwhile group F is a joke (with all respect for ARG and CAN...good for them, in any case)...

In women's we would have something like this today:

A China Germany Puerto Rico Cuba
B USA, Turkey, Belgium, Azerbeidzjan
C Serbia Argentina Thailand Czech Republic
D Brazil, Korea, Bulgaria, Poland
E Russia Dominican Republic Cameroon Kazachstan
F Italy Netherlands Croatia Canada

The system is clear. 

Will these qualificationpools played before or after the Continental Championships?

8 hours ago, CCB said:

In women's we would have something like this today:

A China Germany Puerto Rico Cuba
B USA, Turkey, Belgium, Azerbeidzjan
C Serbia Argentina Thailand Czech Republic
D Brazil, Korea, Bulgaria, Poland
E Russia Dominican Republic Cameroon Kazachstan
F Italy Netherlands Croatia Canada

The system is clear. 

Will these qualificationpools played before or after the Continental Championships?

I would imagine before, to make only unqualified teams at the continental tournaments

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

If I understand correctly (using a translator of course) this Polish article

https://m.sportowefakty.wp.pl/siatkowka/754977/to-juz-pewne-zmieni-sie-system-kwalifikacji-do-tokio-2020-z-korzyscia-dla-polski also says that

the Volleyball Nations League would not be considered in the new world ranking 

12 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

https://m.sportowefakty.wp.pl/siatkowka/754977/to-juz-pewne-zmieni-sie-system-kwalifikacji-do-tokio-2020-z-korzyscia-dla-polski also says that

In that case it would be fair if the World Cup 2015-points will be deleted. But then Russia will may be no longer in the top six, so the FIVB won't do that. World Championships results will be extremely important now.

vor 39 Minuten schrieb Dunadan:

Then it looks bad for the German men, given that they failed to qualify for the World Championships and didn't do well in the World League. They will lose many points after the World Championships 2014 are deleted. European Championships don't seem to count anymore?

Edited by EselTheDonkey