website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

20 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sport climbing is at least the only of the five sports in which I'd be interested to learn and see more :)

Sport climbing (the classic Lead discipline and the newcomer Bouldering) has a very good fan base in many Countries around the Alps (France, Italy, Austria, Slovenia, but also in the Czech Rep. and in Germany)...

there are also very good atletes from Belgium, GBR, Canada, US and even some Asian Countries (KOR above all, but also CHN, JPN and IRI)...

the Speed discipline, on the other hand, it's almost entirely dominated by RUS, UKR and POL, with very few exceptions...

as someone suggested, the international federation has a very good website, where you can find info, stats and videos of their main events throughout the year)...

http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/

the only problem is that they won't have the 3 disciplines at the Olympic Games in 2020, but a senseless "combined event", which doesn't even exist in sport climbing until now...

so, not the best way to promote this sport, I guess...

Edited by phelps

1 minute ago, Майкл said:

:rofl:Sport climbing? Surfing?

What's next? Orienteering?

Ski orienteering is pretty cool, German TV shows it sometimes and it looks like an extremely tough physical challenge :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

il y a 1 minute, Quasit a déclaré:

Yay, I approve. :d

So which nations will benefit most from these additions? Japan and France, probably.

It's worth noting that the best french surfers are usualy from Tahiti and ride under french polynesian flag during surfing competitions.

We may have our own version of english/GB qualification mess here :d

Just now, heywoodu said:

Ski orienteering is pretty cool, German TV shows it sometimes and it looks like an extremely tough physical challenge :) 

I'm not saying these sports aren't cool or anything. But I'm not fond of adding all these fancy sports in the Olympics programme already.

9 minutes ago, Quasit said:

Yay, I approve. :d

So which nations will benefit most from these additions? Japan and France, probably.

if 2020 was tomorrow...

FRA, JPN, EGY and TUR in Karate...

AUT, CZE, SLO, CAN and KOR in Sport Climbing (but many things could change from now until 2020)...

USA, AUS and BRA in Surf

USA in Skateboard

USA and JPN in Baseball/Softball

just my personal opinion, of course...

Edited by phelps

I'm glad baseball/softball is back as a fan.  I don't mind the other sports, although sports climbing is...odd.  Maybe I just don't know enough.  And there's probably enough combat sports already.  

I just think they need to pare down some existing events.  As much as I like to watch swimming, is there really a need for 94 (or whatever) races?  Any event where the same people win medals over and over again can be reduced, imo.  It just pads the American (and Aussie) medal totals.  IFor as many medals it hands out it's not really a global sport.  But I know it's popular with audiences so it'll stay as is.  And don't get me started on table tennis, which like swimming is just there to pad China's medal count.  Squash is much more global and should be in the Olympics before TT.  

Anyway, hopefully the other new sports will allow smaller and/or new countries to participate more.