website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

3 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

No-one is, let's be honest. Good luck for TV channels in European countries that don't care to find commentators in their language, just some random guy that skates in the park probably. But no-one will watch it so it will be fine.

Now you're exaggerating, events like the modern pentathlon or 50m rifle prone or something don't attracts billions of viewers and I highly doubt skateboarding will be much less popular than that. 

There will be people watching and I am fairly certain it won't be the least-viewed event of the Olympics, that's not the whole point at all. It's just more of an X-Games sport. 

About the commentators: if you can find commentators for the freestyle snowboarding kind of stuff, undoubtedly it won't be a problem for skateboarding neither. And not "some random guy" probably, but someone who actually knows what he's talking about probably. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

You are right, I was half-joking. I quite like modern pentathlon though. Maybe someone will watch it. The least-viewed event will be something in sport climbing probably.

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

6 hours ago, Mkbw50 said:

No-one is, let's be honest. Good luck for TV channels in European countries that don't care to find commentators in their language, just some random guy that skates in the park probably. But no-one will watch it so it will be fine.

No problem for Denmark ;)
The X games are very popular and we have a skate board legend (Rune Glifberg) who would be a great candidate ;)

Though I strongly agree in the skepticism, I don't think they will have trouble getting viewers.

On 12/22/2016 at 23:57, Mkbw50 said:

I don't know how skateboarding will do, and I'm not sure if it should be in the SOG.  However, all these X-Game sports in the WOG that people make fun of have HUGE followings in North America and East Asia.  I know Canadians/Americans who have only started to care about the WOG because of snowboarding and freestyle skiing.  I live in China now and Korea before, and kids are really into those sports, too, along with short track of course.  They're not so interested in the 'traditional' sports.  

I think people have to realize that there are massive markets outside the traditional Euro-zone that don't care about biathlon and ski jumping.  In my personal opinion, opening up to more 'extreme' sports (I hate that title) works very well in WOG because there were so few sports to begin with and things can be more niche.  It's less successful in the SOG, but I'm willing to see how it works out before I pass judgement.  If we can have monarchs prancing around on horses for medals, we can tolerate Brice doing some sick tricks on a skateboard, too.  

25 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I don't know how skateboarding will do, and I'm not sure if it should be in the SOG.  However, all these X-Game sports in the WOG that people make fun of have HUGE followings in North America and East Asia.  I know Canadians/Americans who have only started to care about the WOG because of snowboarding and freestyle skiing.  I live in China now and Korea before, and kids are really into those sports, too, along with short track of course.  They're not so interested in the 'traditional' sports.  

I think people have to realize that there are massive markets outside the traditional Euro-zone that don't care about biathlon and ski jumping.  In my personal opinion, opening up to more 'extreme' sports (I hate that title) works very well in WOG because there were so few sports to begin with and things can be more niche.  It's less successful in the SOG, but I'm willing to see how it works out before I pass judgement.  If we can have monarchs prancing around on horses for medals, we can tolerate Brice doing some sick tricks on a skateboard, too.  

Are you sure it isn't "poodle scuba diving"? That seems to be the latest description of dressage from the ignorants...

#banbestmen

On 22.12.2016 at 17:34, Mkbw50 said:

You are right, I was half-joking. I quite like modern pentathlon though. Maybe someone will watch it. The least-viewed event will be something in sport climbing probably.

Good to know, that someone else cares about pentathlon here - sometimes I think that I talk only with myself about it. About the sport climbing - I suppose it was the most or at least the second most (after baseball/softball) discipline that people wanted to join the Olympic programme.

1 hour ago, Vojthas said:

Good to know, that someone else cares about pentathlon here - sometimes I think that I talk only with myself about it.

Pentathlon is a great sport...

Btw, I don't agree whit a lot of Olympic sport (Skateboard, surf, weighlifting and golf) but i just don't watch it. It's easy..

• 2 weeks later...

Three and a half years to go!

Until we know who Trump's replacement is

Who's excited for Tokyo?

In brotherhood unfold

Upon reading this forum, I have changed my mind. Surfing etc. may be shit, but nothing can beat the sheer arduousness of dressage.

In brotherhood unfold