website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

13 minutes ago, Jur said:

There's sport where matching the program between men and women is natural, because the level is high.

Adding the C1 Women's slalom just for equality is stupid, not only for the obvious lack of high level, but because the cut of the C2 men's event. And that's only one example.

However, I would love to see the men's boxing cut to add more weigth's to the women. That's so universal I really feel like a joke only 3 woman category's....

The bigger joke is that every few kilograms have their own weight..

Just make a lightweight (-55kg), a middleweight (-80kg) and a heavyweight (everything above 80kg) :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Jur said:

However, I would love to see the men's boxing cut to add more weigth's to the women. That's so universal I really feel like a joke only 3 woman category's....

At last months womens european championships there were 10 categories like in the mens side. The lighter ones of course had great representation, because of the nature of women being smaller and lighter. But in the 4 heavy ones there were hardly enough boxers to fill the 1/4 and in one i remember there were exactly 5 boxers, so 3 of them got an european medal just for showing up... This brings again my earlier point for having events just for the sake of having them.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Just make a lightweight (-55kg), a middleweight (-80kg) and a heavyweight (everything above 80kg) :p 

Another great point, the classes are too close. 10 categories in the mens side is too spread out. I wouldn't go that far, but 6-7 categories seem very good. Of course the loss of matches and etc. will cost AIBA big cash, so if course the rule will be more and not less.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

A bit extreme proposal. :p 60kg and 80kg in the same category. :d

However, current system has -49, -52, -56, -60... One can easily be cut there...

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

A bit extreme proposal. :p 60kg and 80kg in the same category. :d

However, current system has -49, -52, -56, -60... One can easily be cut there...

Well yeah, just 3 is a bit exaggarated :p 

But this is all so exaggarated as well...

c795c7f03f.png

All those classes with 3-4kg between them..meh. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, dcro said:

Don't forget about adding men's rhythmic gymnastics (individual and group) and men's synchronized swimming (duet and team). Gender equalty you know.

it's almost sure that Synchro Swimming Mixed Duet will be part of Tokyo 2020 program (and no, I'm not joking)...;)

by the way, about boxing...

I know that many of you would like to see the number of weight categories receiving a further cut, but it's technically very difficult, because it would create some health issues...

don't forget that we're talking of a sport made mainly of hits to the head...and putting one against each other 2 people with too much fork in weight and power (and other physical features like height and reach, too) exposes them to very high risk (we already have too many "fatal accidents" on the rings throughout the world)...

and when we consider athletes just 1.60/1.65m tall and 50/55/60kg heavy, even a small 4 or 5 kg difference is quite important in that way...

on the other hand, if they make like they do with the girls (less weight classes with also a minimum weight officially set), it could lead to many cases of dangerous (and often illegal) practice to cut (or put on) too much weight in too short time many times a year to keep up with those weight windows for all the fighters not naturally included in the "new" Olimpic categories, creating other potentially very serious health problems...

p.s. to fix the problem, the IOC should ban Boxing from the Games in full...and it would be a good decision, based also on the corruption issues that this sport has...