website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

Looks to me he's gonna go for sailing. Smart, considering that just appearing at the continental qualification regatta should be enough for any Ocenian island nation to qualify...

Prediction: He is going to be like Swaney of sailing and ignorant media will call him cheater or whatnot.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

31 minutes ago, dcro said:

Looks to me he's gonna go for sailing. Smart, considering that just appearing at the continental qualification regatta should be enough for any Ocenian island nation to qualify...

Prediction: He is going to be like Swaney of sailing and ignorant media will call him cheater or whatnot.

At least I feel he really likes the attention he's getting. :d

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

Interestingly he said that he might go for more than one sport. Let's go crazy and take a look in which all sports he could possibly compete if he aims to take part in as many as possible. :d

Universality sports

Athletics - almost any individual event if selected by Tongan NOC

Swimming - any individual event if selected by Tongan NOC

Easily achievable continental qualification

Judo - Just participating at couple of qualification events should be enough for an Oceanian continental place.

Sailing - Just participating at a qualification regatta likely enough for Finn, RS:X, 470, 49er and Nacra. Might face a couple of nations in Laser.

Taekwondo - Already qualified there for Rio. Should be easy enough if Australia doesn't choose that weight.

Possible continental qualification

Archery - Could become possible if Australia gets a quota before the continental qualification, however island nations are not that bad here (including Tonga).

Badminton - If Australia again decides to decline men's singles quota, then he could get a continental place. Quite possible, Tonga itself almost qualified for Rio but it turned out that their player didn't have enough international tournaments to be eligible.

Canoeing - Both slalom and sprint are possible, though Oceania does have decent athletes outside of AUS/NZL... I guess C1 (200m or 1000m) in sprint might be the best chance.

Artistic gymnastics - Should be able to qualify through continental qualification event, provided that both AUS/NZL qualify before.

Open water swimming - Could qualify if both AUS/NZL qualify directly and/or decline.

Tripartite commission invitation

Boxing, Trampoline, Modern pentathlon, Rowing, Table tennis, Weightlifting, Wrestling (+ Archery, Badminton, Canoeing, Artistic gymnastics, Judo, Sailing, Taekwondo)

So it's possible for him to compete in 16 sports. However, he may struggle to reach minimum eligibility in a couple of them (I already excluded shooting for example because reaching MQS there is probably impossible). Also, I don't think Tripartite Commission would be that lenient for this cause. :lol:

Anyone wants to suggest this to him and make a complete mockery of the Olympics? @heywoodu perhaps? :p

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

• 1 month later...
Em 6/6/2018 at 13:03, dcro disse:

Artistic gymnastics - Should be able to qualify through continental qualification event, provided that both AUS/NZL qualify before.

Tonga applied for FIG membership two months ago. :lol:

It would be funny to see him attempting swimming, though. 

Some notes:

- First competition of the Games will be a Softball match on the Wednesday before the Opening Ceremony;
- Football, Archery and Rowing also will start before or at the day of the OC;
- It looks like the first medal will come from Shooting, as usual;
- Taekwondo will be held on the first 4 days of the Games starting on Saturday, rather than on the last days like in the previous Games. Maybe they changed this because Karate will happen on the days that Taekwondo used to be held;
- There will be a Cycling event every single day of the Games, in order: 2 days of Road, 2 of MB, 1 of Road (Time Trial), 2 of BMX, 2 of BMX Freestyle and 7 of Track (which will now have events until the last Sunday);
- I think Basketball, Handball and Volleyball all have switched the day of Men's and Women's final. Men's will be on the last Saturday and Women's on Sunday. Beach Volleyball remain the same but finals will be later than usual (last Friday for Women's and Saturday for Men's);
- Premilinary rounds and Finals of a given Wrestling category will be played in different days.