website statistics

The World Games 2017

uk12points

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

well I watched all Karate finals and seriously this sport has no place in the Olympics. specially Kata :thumbdown:

I saw a bit of kata today. I mean, it's cool and all for them, but I honestly had no idea what they were doing, what was supposed to be exciting or not...it's like a slow version of dancing with constant stops.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Gold for the Dutch korfball team (who would have guessed), we're on the medal table :clap:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

I saw a bit of kata today. I mean, it's cool and all for them, but I honestly had no idea what they were doing, what was supposed to be exciting or not...it's like a slow version of dancing with constant stops.. 

It's a simulated combact against some invisible athletes, i'm serius :p 

Edited by Gianlu33

3 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

It's a simulated combact against some invisible athletes, i'm serius :p 

That's what I understood from the commentator, but that's no fun to watch (at least for me) :p 

Kata is totally unwatchable...it's not even sport (same situation we discussed a couple of days ago about synchronized swimming, rhythmic gymnastics and so on...)

Kumite, if you like combat sports, is just another one of them...

maybe I don't count anything in the world, but I like those disciplines...:d

the only big problem is that we all need fair judging to take them seriously (and often this doesn't happen), but it's the same for all sports where referees and/or judges can determine the final result...

Edited by phelps

47 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

It doesn't looks worst than Takwendo. Probably less silly too.

I'll give you Kata though.

I'm not a big fan of Taekwondo (following it only because it gives us medals , same as Karate) but at least in Taekwondo it's clear that you have to kick your opponent and kick hard. but despite following Karate for year, I still had hard time to understand the rules and why this technique should be scored and that one should not ! (and changing rules consistently doesn't help at all)

there are few serious problems with Karate

first the officiating, then the time of the fight, fights should be longer, seriously only 2 minutes for women ?! and no extra time, at least this new rule (who scores the first point wins the match in case of tie) is better than Hantei. it looks like they just want to finish the whole thing as soon as possible, I don't see any problem with 1 minute of extra time !

20 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I'm not a big fan of Taekwondo (following it only because it gives us medals , same as Karate) but at least in Taekwondo it's clear that you have to kick your opponent and kick hard. but despite following Karate for year, I still had hard time to understand the rules and why this technique should be scored and that one should not ! (and changing rules consistently doesn't help at all)

there are few serious problems with Karate

first the officiating, then the time of the fight, fights should be longer, seriously only 2 minutes for women ?! and no extra time, at least this new rule (who scores the first point wins the match in case of tie) is better than Hantei. it looks like they just want to finish the whole thing as soon as possible, I don't see any problem with 1 minute of extra time !

short time of bouts is surely explained by the fact that normally tournaments have so many starters that an athlete going through to the final round has to fight 6/7 times a day (and they want to keep each class within the single day - apart for the world finals which are normally separated from the rest of the competition for television purpose)...

by the way, I agree with you on the fact that they should have a bit longer bouts...2 minutes isn't even fair to the athletes themselves (my idea is 4 minutes + 1 minute OT if necessary before the final decision - I'd like to see the wrestling principles...the biggest single score of the bout wins, then the first score...only in case of absolute tie, the hantei)...

I also agree about the rules changing too often and sometimes being inconsistent...but I hope that now they are in the Olympic program, they get more and more consistent, at least not changing things if not once every 4 years (it would be a success for the sport and for the fans, imho)...