website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

A few hours to the Oscars, I leave my predictions here. This was mostly a disappointing year for cinema in my opinion, and the first time in some years I didn't watch more than 95% of the nominees (mainly because I didn't had the time). Anyway, here's my picks, and I hope to do better than 17/24 of last year - I did this in a hurry so don't mind possible mistakes. ["will win" is my prediction / "could win" is my alternate prediction / "should win" is my personal ranking from what I've watched / "shoud have been nominated" it's a way to remember other notable movies].

Spoiler

Best Picture

WILL WIN: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

COULD WIN: The Shape of Water or Get Out

SHOULD WIN: 1. Call Me By Your Name; 2. Get Out; 3. Lady Bird; 4. Dunkirk; 5. The Shape of Water; 6. Darkest Hour; 7. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Not watched: Phantom Thread and The Post.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: God's Own Country

Directing

WILL WIN: Guillermo Del Toro, The Shape of Water

COULD WIN: Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk

SHOULD WIN: 1. Jordan Peele, Get Out; 2. Guillermo Del Toro, The Shape of Water; 3. Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk; 4. Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird. Not watched: Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Sebastián Lelio, A Fantastic Woman

Actor in a Leading Role

WILL WIN: Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

COULD WIN: Timothée Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name

SHOULD WIN: 1. Timothée Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name; 2. Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out; 3. Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour; 4. Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq. Not watched: Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Robert Pattinson, Good Time

Actress in a Leading Role

WILL WIN: Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

COULD WIN: Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

SHOULD WIN: 1. Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird; 2. Margot Robbie, I, Tonya; 3. Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri; 4. Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water. Not watched: Meryl Streep, The Post.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Sally Hawkins, Maudie

Actor in a Supporting Role

WILL WIN: Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

COULD WIN: Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

SHOULD WIN: 1. Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project; 2. Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water; 3. Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri; 4. Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Not watched: Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Michael Stuhlbarg, Call Me By Your Name

Actress in a Supporting Role

WILL WIN: Allison Janney, I, Tonya

COULD WIN: Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird

SHOULD WIN: 1. Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird; 2. Allison Janney, I, Tonya; 3. Mary J. Blige, Mudbound; 4. Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water. Not watched: Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Lois Smith, Marjorie Prime

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

WILL WIN: Call Me By Your Name

COULD WIN: Mudbound

SHOULD WIN: 1. Call Me By Your Name; 2. Mudbound; 3. The Disaster Artist; 4. Logan. Not watched: Molly's Game.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Lost City of Z

Writing (Original Screenplay)

WILL WIN: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

COULD WIN: Get Out

SHOULD WIN: 1. Lady Bird; 2. Get Out; 3. The Big Sick; 4. The Shape of Water; 5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: BPM

Animated Feature Film

WILL WIN: Coco

COULD WIN: The Breadwinner

SHOULD WIN: 1. Coco; 2. The Breadwinner; 3. Loving Vincent; 4. Ferdinand; 5. The Boss Baby.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: none (what a terrible year for this category!)

Documentary Feature

WILL WIN: Faces Places

COULD WIN: Icarus

SHOULD WIN: 1. Faces Places; 2. Strong Island; 3. Icarus; 4. Last Men in Aleppo; 5. Abacus: Small Enough to Jail.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Jane

Foreign Language Film

WILL WIN: Chile, A Fantastic Woman

COULD WIN: Sweden, The Square

SHOULD WIN: 1. Chile, A Fantastic Woman; 2. Russia, Loveless; 3. Hungary, On Body and Soul. Not watched: Sweden (The Square) and Lebanon (The Insult).

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: France, BPM

Cinematography

WILL WIN: The Shape of Water

COULD WIN: Blade Runner 2049

SHOULD WIN: 1. Dunkirk; 2. Blade Runner 2049; 3. The Shape of Water; 4. Mudbound; 5. Darkest Hour.

Film Editing

WILL WIN: Dunkirk

COULD WIN: Baby Driver

SHOULD WIN: 1. Dunkirk; 2. Baby Driver; 3. I, Tonya; 4. The Shape of Water; 5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: A Ghost Story

Costume Design

WILL WIN: Phantom Thread

COULD WIN: The Shape of Water

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Shape of Water; 2. Darkest Hour; 3. Victoria & Abdul; 4. Beauty and the Beast. Not watched: Phantom Thread.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Wonder Woman

Production Design

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Shape of Water; 2. Blade Runner 2049; 3. Dunkirk; 4. Darkest Hour; 5. Beauty and the Beast.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Call Me By Your Name

Makeup and Hairstyling

WILL WIN: Darkest Hour

COULD WIN: Wonder

SHOULD WIN: 1. Darkest Hour; 2. Wonder; 3. Victoria & Abdul.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: I, Tonya

Music (Original Score)

COULD WIN: Dunkirk

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Shape of Water; 2. Dunkirk; 3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi; 4. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Not watched: Phantom Thread.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: War for the Planet of the Apes

Music (Original Song)

WILL WIN: "Remember Me", Coco

COULD WIN: "This is Me", The Greatest Showman

SHOULD WIN: 1. "Mystery of Love", Call Me By Your Name; 2. "Remember Me", Coco; 3. "Mighty River", Mudbound; 4. "This is Me", The Greatest Showman, 5. "Stand Up for Something", Marshall.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: "I Get Overwhelmed", A Ghost Story

Sound Editing

SHOULD WIN: 1. Dunkirk; 2. Blade Runner 2049; 3. The Shape of Water; 4. Baby Driver; 5. Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: War for the Planet of the Apes

Sound Mixing

SHOULD WIN: 1. Dunkirk; 2. The Shape of Water; 3. Blade Runner 2049; 4. Baby Driver; 5. Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

Visual Effects

WILL WIN: War for the Planet of the Apes

SHOULD WIN: 1. War for the Planet of the Apes; 2. Blade Runner 2049; 3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi; 4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2; 5. Kong: Skull Island.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Dunkirk

Short Film (Animated)

WILL WIN: Dear Basketball

COULD WIN: Negative Space

SHOULD WIN: 1. Negative Space; 2. Garden Party; 3. Lou; 4. Dear Basketball; 5. Revolting Rhymes.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: In a Heartbeat

Short Film (Documentary)

WILL WIN: Heroine(s)

COULD WIN: Edith+Eddie

SHOULD WIN: 1. Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405; 2. Heroine(s); 3. Edith+Eddie; 4. Traffic Stop. Not watched: Knife Skills.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: 116 Cameras

Short Film (Live Action)

WILL WIN: DeKalb Elementary

COULD WIN: The Silent Child

SHOULD WIN: Didn't have the time to watch any of the nominees in this category.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Tokyo Project

Edited with correct predictions. Managed to get the same score of last year (17/24), missing 7 categories. I picked the correct winner as the "alternate" prediction in 6 of those. The only one who was really surprising for me was Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405 winning Documentary Short (but it's a great little film and the best of this category, so I'm glad it won). Three Billboards underperforming and Blade Runner 2049 overperforming killed my predictions. Boring ceremony, almost no surprises, and I would prefer Get Out winning Best Picture - but at least wasn't Three Billboards.

41 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

A few hours to the Oscars, I leave my predictions here. This was mostly a disappointing year for cinema in my opinion, and the first time in some years I didn't watch more than 95% of the nominees (mainly because I didn't had the time). Anyway, here's my picks, and I hope to do better than 17/24 of last year - I did this in a hurry so don't mind possible mistakes. ["will win" is my prediction / "could win" is my alternate prediction / "should win" is my personal ranking from what I've watched / "shoud have been nominated" it's a way to remember other notable movies].

Hide contents

Cinematography

SHOULD WIN: 1. Dunkirk; 2. Blade Runner 2049; 3. The Shape of Water; 4. Mudbound; 5. Darkest Hour.

Rather interesting choice and it would be huge for Danish movies to have an Oscar winner in one of the "production" categories. Would be the first since 1931.