website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2018

uk12points

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Also, what a games for :SRI winning 6 medals! The most ever for them. Though it could be argued that the 3 boxing medals were because of a favourable draw, but one of them knocked down the Indian gold medalist twice in his match... so there was potential. 

Srilanka is fast improving in quite a few disciplines ( Badminton , weightlifting , atheletics , boxing ) and also BAN in shooting is getting really good ....... also an amazing game for CYP........ 8 golds double their best ... shows how focussing on just a couple disciplines can help you climb the medal charts 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

For 2022, there will be a qualification system for each sport.

My suggestions:

-Athletics - Use the IAAF rankings to determine qualifiers and limit field size to certain numbers using past participation as the standard.

-Basketball (3x3): Top 8 teams per gender (including hosts) in the FIBA Rankings

-Badminton: Top 16 teams in the rankings qualified. Limit the singles/doubles fields as well. 

-Boxing: Top 12 athletes in the world rankings per event should qualify, with 16 wild cards to be awarded equally among men/women.

-Judo: Top 9 in the world rankings + 1 wild card per event. 

-Diving: I don't think diving needs a system, the numbers are good enough atm. Maybe a minimum score to qualify?

-Cycling: Use a similar system as the Olympics, but adjust qualified numbers, 

-Swimming: A/B Standard qualification times, invite 8 teams for each relay only. Also limit each individual event to a max 2 athletes from one country.

-Gymnastics: The number is adequate enough across both disciplines. Not sure what to suggest here.

-Triathlon: 28 athlete fields per event. 26 spots reserved for the world rankings + 2 wild cards. 

-Lawn Bowls: Max 20 per event, using a world rankings/qualification event.

-Netball/Rugby sevens: Same system as in 2018.

-Weightlifting: Same system as in 2018

-Squash: Max 32 in singles draws and 16 in the doubles draws. 

-Table tennis: Max 12 teams per team event. All other countries can enter a max 1 male and 1 female. 

-Wrestling: Top 9 in world rankings + 1 wild card per event.

Parasports- Plan ahead and choose events which have the most representation. It was ridiculous too see many events here with just 1 or 2 medals awarded.

-If a country fails it can enter 2 track and field athletes/2 swimmers (just like the Olympics)

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

Apparently one of the Kenyans in women's marathon is 2:38 runner. :yikes:

She must be like 250th best Kenyan in this event. :lol:

Non-Olympic/worlds championship races are very hard to get the best athletes, even Canada didn't send anyone in the Marathon because our best two men are running Boston on Monday

2 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I am lost for words, I can't believe what I am seeing..... why is no one helping Callum Hawkins? What a disgrace! And those people taking photos of him instead of being proactive in getting him help!

Because he would've got DQ'd with any outside assistance, and Hawkins was trying to be too tough for his own good

I seen this situation before, I think it was in some women's race in maybe Poland?

Edited by juddy96

Just now, juddy96 said:

Because he would've got DQ'd with any outside assistance, and Hawkins was trying to be too tough for his own good

Who cares about DQ? He was clearly way beyond that. There should have been medical assistance there quickly.