website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Qualification Systems

• 1 month later...

ISU has announced the qualifying procedures. These are the standards, I think they are almost easier than the qualifying standards for Dutch championships :d 

3a4b608b5c.png

http://static.isu.org/media/544073/2101-owg-2018-ss-qualifying-procedure.pdf

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

ISU has announced the qualifying procedures. These are the standards, I think they are almost easier than the qualifying standards for Dutch championships :d 

3a4b608b5c.png

http://static.isu.org/media/544073/2101-owg-2018-ss-qualifying-procedure.pdf

Olympic qualification ending with stages in Salt Lake and Calgary... So those looking to qualify by best times can easily ignore the first two stages. :evil:

#banbestmen

54 minutes ago, dcro said:

Olympic qualification ending with stages in Salt Lake and Calgary... So those looking to qualify by best times can easily ignore the first two stages. :evil:

Definitely, it's sort of weird there are no separate times for high or low altitude tracks, like I'm fairly sure there are for World Cup qualifying standards.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 1 month later...

I just realized the alpine skiing qualification system effectively screws the smaller nations which qualify more than 2 athletes per games. For ex. Argentina, Chile, Australia among others are now limited at 2 per nation. This is definitely the way to grow the sport FIS :wall:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

All qualification procedures for FIS sports now have some differents compare to the second post of this thread.

But the biggest are in ski jumping and nordic combined. FIS went back to the maximum 5 athletes per NOC for men instead of 4 and delete all about alternate athletes. In the nordic combined changes in the rules had finished a week ago. Now the qualification situation looks very different - Russia and the USA are losing their places in the nordic combined team event. Slovenia and Poland are taking this places instead. 

21 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

All qualification procedures for FIS sports now have some differents compare to the second post of this thread.

But the biggest are in ski jumping and nordic combined. FIS went back to the maximum 5 athletes per NOC for men instead of 4 and delete all about alternate athletes. In the nordic combined changes in the rules had finished a week ago. Now the qualification situation looks very different - Russia and the USA are losing their places in the nordic combined team event. Slovenia and Poland are taking this places instead. 

Very weird that they changed it so late in the process.

TBH I'm not sure why there is a need for countries to have five athletes in those sports as long as injury replacements are available.