website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Qualification Systems

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Yes, and that's Simon Kammerlander. Beautiful Bolivian name...

I mean, it's cool when countries like Lebanon and Pakistan send their own sklers, but recently so many weak skiers are just looking to represent some exotic nation at the Olympics (whether they have some distant connection with the country or not even that). That really isn't Olympic spirit, it really isn't.

Vanessa Mae "Vanakorn" :d

I'm fine with people representing exotic nations if they at least have some sort of connection with it (through family, love, living there for years etc). Mostly because it can create an interest in the sport that would otherwise never exist, even if it's only 50 people getting interested and only 10% of those actually trying to do the sport.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm fine with people representing exotic nations if they at least have some sort of connection with it (through family, love, living there for years etc). Mostly because it can create an interest in the sport that would otherwise never exist, even if it's only 50 people getting interested and only 10% of those actually trying to do the sport.. 

Would this count as a connection? :d

"My father has a factory of sport clothes in Togo and we took the opportunity to represent this country," said Dipol, sporting Togo's bright yellow racing suit.

#banbestmen

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

"My father has a factory of sport clothes in Togo and we took the opportunity to represent this country," said Dipol, sporting Togo's bright yellow racing suit.

Meh...let's say I'm more a fan of Mathilde-Amivi Petitjean :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

hace 43 minutos, dcro said:

That's pretty close to the connection our only winter olympian has with us. But I think her dad's factory is just regular clothes.

• 2 months later...

What is the minimum age for participation? Asking because Brazilian cross-country skiers Lucas Lima (2001) and Rhaick Bonfim (2002) are being more impressive every day and might actually be Brazil's strongest male athletes in a year from now.. 

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

What is the minimum age for participation? Asking because Brazilian cross-country skiers Lucas Lima (2001) and Rhaick Bonfim (2002) are being more impressive every day and might actually be Brazil's strongest male athletes in a year from now.. 

At least 16... Lebanon had a skier who was 16 in 2010.