website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Qualification Systems

2 hours ago, George_D said:

Probably. Qualification to the Winter Olympics is less entertaining since most of them are rankings published 1-2 months before the games.

As for biathlon their host quota allocation is a bit weird too. At the top they reserved one quota for a man and a woman, but in the host section they say South Korea would be given a team should they not qualify one.

Colombia is trying to get some of its inline skaters to South Korea. It'll be hard, but I guess I'll have fun following the process. I was living in NL during Sochi so I'll gladly take this as an excuse to root for my former host nation again.

13 minutes ago, carivan said:

Colombia is trying to get some of its inline skaters to South Korea. It'll be hard, but I guess I'll have fun following the process. I was living in NL during Sochi so I'll gladly take this as an excuse to root for my former host nation again.

Two Colombian skaters definitely have a chance. Causil is less than a second off the qualification time for Sochi (and with 3 max per nation) it should be easier to qualify in the 500m event. Also iirc another Colombian skater was a reserve for the mass start at the world championships last year (so he just missed the cut). 

hace 5 minutos, intoronto said:

Two Colombian skaters definitely have a chance. Causil is less than a second off the qualification time for Sochi (and with 3 max per nation) it should be easier to qualify in the 500m event. Also iirc another Colombian skater was a reserve for the mass start at the world championships last year (so he just missed the cut). 

Yeah I think he's been focusing in 1000m so far. Last I heard he was joined by 6 others in Salt Lake City with plans to move to Calgary soon enough. And I also saw there's a teen doing quite well in Kamloops so we'll see how the adventure goes lol. 

It'd be really awesome if Causil or another Colombian makes it to Pyeongchang, long live exotic nations :clap:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

As for biathlon their host quota allocation is a bit weird too. At the top they reserved one quota for a man and a woman, but in the host section they say South Korea would be given a team should they not qualify one.

Have you seen a qualifying procedure before where first it says there will be no reallocation of unused quota, only for that to be changed once there are unused quote?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Probably. Qualification to the Winter Olympics is less entertaining since most of them are rankings published 1-2 months before the games.

yes but it would be more easy than summer olympics from the other hand

11 hours ago, intoronto said:

If current trends last, one country will return to the WOG: Bolivia

Yes, and that's Simon Kammerlander. Beautiful Bolivian name...

I mean, it's cool when countries like Lebanon and Pakistan send their own sklers, but recently so many weak skiers are just looking to represent some exotic nation at the Olympics (whether they have some distant connection with the country or not even that). That really isn't Olympic spirit, it really isn't.

#banbestmen