website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest Discussion

2 hours ago, rybak said:

@Olympian1010 When you are planning to open thread?

Hopefully in a day or two. I’m still getting a couple of things in place.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@OlympicIRL I have been thinking about a rule change for the Open contest. Or maybe it wouldn't even be a rule change, I just misinterpreted the song eligibility rule. We say that the song must be at least 5 years old. Are we saying this about song itself or the recording? 

What I am saying here is what if a song is more than 5 years old, but the original artist makes a new recording, which isn't more than 5 years old? That's not a cover because it was recorded by the original artist. Can a new recording of an old song be submitted for the Open contest if it was recorded by the original artist? I think a recording like that should be eligible even if it differs from the original version in some way, as it's still an old song, performed by the original artist. 

I doubt that this would be relevant in most, if not all cases, but I just want to clarify it. :)

24 minutes ago, Vektor said:

@OlympicIRL I have been thinking about a rule change for the Open contest. Or maybe it wouldn't even be a rule change, I just misinterpreted the song eligibility rule. We say that the song must be at least 5 years old. Are we saying this about song itself or the recording? 

What I am saying here is what if a song is more than 5 years old, but the original artist makes a new recording, which isn't more than 5 years old? That's not a cover because it was recorded by the original artist. Can a new recording of an old song be submitted for the Open contest if it was recorded by the original artist? I think a recording like that should be eligible even if it differs from the original version in some way, as it's still an old song, performed by the original artist. 

I doubt that this would be relevant in most, if not all cases, but I just want to clarify it. :)

Hi @Vektor, I'm just going out to the St.Patrick's Day parade but will give this more consideration later when I get home. I think I would be more willing to allow it as long as the song is sung by the same artist as the original and if it doesn't differ too much musically from the original.
Might be a good one to put to a vote after this contest so we have an answer before the next Open edition.